Why become a member? ×

Matamp GT200 vs other all-tube heads?

slave

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1329372737' post='1541347']
If I wanted clean power, I'd get a Boogie 400+. Best valve amp I've ever owned and built like a nuclear bunker. I worry about valve amps getting too hot - not a problem with the fans in the Boogie.
[/quote]

80watts more isn't that much of a huge leap. Never been to impressed with the low end of the 400+ either

I never found mine wanting and tried it with 4x10, 2x 2x10 and 1x15. It was huge. Transformer rust and worn tubes can undermine low end power.

If anything I find too much low end swamps the mids and makes it difficult to detect pitch on stage. My Trace V8 isn't so impressive for that reason.

Owned a 400+, nothing like the GT200. The GT200 is cleaner,especially the pre, more mids and less highs. The boogie sounds good clean, but I did not like the way it distorts. It also has a very hard feel, and seems to lack responsivenness when compared to the GT200. The GT200 is more pillowy and seems to have more sag than the 400+. To me the 400+ and Bassman 300 PRO are very solid state sounding tube amps.

Edited by the_brow

[quote name='the_brow' timestamp='1329480721' post='1543061']
Owned a 400+, nothing like the GT200. The GT200 is cleaner,especially the pre, more mids and less highs. The boogie sounds good clean, but I did not like the way it distorts. It also has a very hard feel, and seems to lack responsivenness when compared to the GT200. The GT200 is more pillowy and seems to have more sag than the 400+. To me the 400+ and Bassman 300 PRO are very solid state sounding tube amps.
[/quote]

haha very strange you'd say that about the 400+ alot of its make up is very traditional valve amp.

@kiwi transformers work or they don't, the ones in the 400+ don't go all that low.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone tried ECC83 as V1 in the 1st gen?? GT200 (classic matamp controls, drive - depth - bass - treble... no mids)? I'd like to get a little bit more gain from the preamp as I'm now boosting it with the booster. The new GT200 seems to have 2 ECC83's in the preamp... But the circuit has to be completely different anyway. So ECC83 or the booster... That is the question.

[quote name='the_brow' timestamp='1329051934' post='1536451']
OK, so I know I am about a year late, but here are some much cleaner clips of the GT200 in action. Recorded through a Zoom Q3 so the audio quality is a lot better and there is no microphone clipping.

tuned down to B
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO0k-HQp8Rg&context=C385f53dADOEgsToPDskL70iUVrPP_HHksJVuj5poQ

and half a step down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6GWqraAD0I&context=C352cf9bADOEgsToPDskI0i6rZzV6XTPXDbINtqOsa

amp was set fairly clean, the fur is from a standard germanium OxFuzz.
[/quote]

Really enjoyed those - right up my street; lovely tone too, particularly on the drop B jazz

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1380834324' post='2231425']
What's in V1 now? Be surprised is an ECC83 isn't stock. Better off having Matamp mod it for more gain.
[/quote]

Mine had (and still has) an ECC81 in V1 and V3. V2 is ECC83. Not sure if it is the stock configuration as I bought the amp from the market place on BassChat. Does anyone know what is the stock tube configuration? Sending it back to Matamp is not my first choice as I'm not living in UK.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1380903512' post='2232277']
Best call matamp with the serial, they'll tell you everything right.
[/quote]

I actually asked it via email...

[quote]
... It has ECC81-ECC83-ECC81 preamp tubes in it... Most likely stock but I was just wondering is this the way it should be? Can ECC83 be used instead of the 81 in V1 for more gain?

-J
[/quote]

[quote]
Hi J,
The answer is yes

CHEERS LIZ @ MATAMP
[/quote]

Yes to all? Maybe... Hehe. You can really count on their replys.