Why become a member? ×

Matamp GT200 vs other all-tube heads?

slave

[quote name='slave' post='1195310' date='Apr 10 2011, 09:44 PM']I thought you guys had no vocals? :)

Nice vids - and the audio is pretty clear for being so close.
What did you use to record those clips?[/quote]

Ha ha, i did not know we had voclas either. Defenitly caught us by surprise.

The vid/audio were captured through an old Sony digital camera. I don't know why, but the mic on that thing is pretty decent at capturing high SPL levels.

[quote name='the_brow' post='1195787' date='Apr 11 2011, 10:01 PM']Ha ha, i did not know we had voclas either. Defenitly caught us by surprise.

The vid/audio were captured through an old Sony digital camera. I don't know why, but the mic on that thing is pretty decent at capturing high SPL levels.[/quote]

Just out of curiosity - what settings did you use on the amp in this recording?

[quote name='slave' post='1197867' date='Apr 13 2011, 05:16 AM']Just out of curiosity - what settings did you use on the amp in this recording?[/quote]

I think it was something like this:
Depth at 12 o'clock (this is a custom setting that i modded)
Gain at 2 o'clock
Bass at 12 o'clock
Treble at 10 o'clock
Presence at 11 o'clock
Master just under 12 o'clock

bass was a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub with Labella 760FX flatwounds.

Edited by the_brow

I played one yesterday at the factory and im not gonna lie the tone was amazing! but it really didnt like de tuning or my e string, it may have been somethig to do with the active bass but surely it should be able to handle a bongo? it couldnt

[quote name='cocco' post='1199401' date='Apr 14 2011, 01:51 PM']I played one yesterday at the factory and im not gonna lie the tone was amazing! but it really didnt like de tuning or my e string, it may have been somethig to do with the active bass but surely it should be able to handle a bongo? it couldnt[/quote]

What cab was it? The simple sealed jobs don't do lows like a big ported job (although might agree better with valves). The last Rose Kemp album featured JoeGarcia playing in A through my Slave 300, seemed to work ok.

It was at the matamp factory, I tried 2 different GTs through a 2x12, 4x10 and 6x10 and it was all the same unless I took all the bass off my preamp on both hi and lo inputs. I was gutted because I really wanted to like the rig and had the deposit in my pocket.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1201812' date='Apr 16 2011, 01:53 PM']That is weird, Matamp is most stoner/doom players amp of choice so I'm surprised it didn't cope with de-tuning.[/quote]
Agree.

[quote]Finbars 7 string is active.[/quote]
Disagree.

Though I've heard active basses through it that do sound good. Some basses just don't go with some amps I suppose.

• 9 months later...

OK, so I know I am about a year late, but here are some much cleaner clips of the GT200 in action. Recorded through a Zoom Q3 so the audio quality is a lot better and there is no microphone clipping.

tuned down to B
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO0k-HQp8Rg&context=C385f53dADOEgsToPDskL70iUVrPP_HHksJVuj5poQ

and half a step down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6GWqraAD0I&context=C352cf9bADOEgsToPDskI0i6rZzV6XTPXDbINtqOsa

amp was set fairly clean, the fur is from a standard germanium OxFuzz.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1329372737' post='1541347']
If I wanted clean power, I'd get a Boogie 400+. Best valve amp I've ever owned and built like a nuclear bunker. I worry about valve amps getting too hot - not a problem with the fans in the Boogie.
[/quote]

Would love a Boogie 400+, shame about the price eh :(

Depends on where you look, I've seen them fairly cheap in the US and they're easily converted for UK voltage. Just have to cover the cost of shipping, but if its cheaper than a new Matamp maybe still worth a look?

Strategy 400's are dirt cheap in the US at the moment, I've seem them going for something like $600. They're monstrously heavy though but originally designed as a hi-fi amp. Sweet sound.