Why become a member? ×

FOSTEX MR-8HD Help Please!

thebrig

I'm afraid I am a complete 'donut' when it comes to recording, so I'm hoping someone out there can tell me where I'm going wrong.

I've got a [b]FOSTEX MR-8HD[/b] which I've owned for a couple of years now, but never really got round to using much, as I don't really know what I'm doing.

I can record instruments OK, but don't seem to get much sound from the mic!

The mic is a [b]Shure SM57[/b] so should certainly be up to the task, so why can I not hear it?

Also, are there any help forums etc for the [b]FOSTEX MR-8HD[/b]?

[size=2]Any help will be very much appreciated![/size]

Cheers in advance.

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='Bankai' post='1115815' date='Feb 4 2011, 07:41 PM']Make sure you're connecting the microphone into the balanced XLR connection, rather than one of the jack connectors.[/quote]
Yes I've tried the balanced XLR, still no joy.

I used to have a Tascam 8 track, though a slightly different model, and it was a while ago so I may be misremembering. Is there a small slider-type selector switch (possibly on the back) that lets you change the input between Line / Guitar / Mic? If so, make sure it's set to 'mic'.

Also make sure you've got the phantom power turned off - your SM57 won't like it.

Edited by Earbrass

[quote name='Earbrass' post='1120239' date='Feb 8 2011, 04:26 PM']I used to have a Tascam 8 track, though a slightly different model, and it was a while ago so I may be misremembering. Is there a small slider-type selector switch (possibly on the back) that lets you change the input between Line / Guitar / Mic? If so, make sure it's set to 'mic'.

Also make sure you've got the phantom power turned off - your SM57 won't like it.[/quote]
Yes it does have that selector switch which as I understand it, is only for input A, and it works fine on that input,
but I can't seem to be able to get anything through any of the other inputs, whether the phantom power is on or off.
Instruments are fine on all inputs.

I'm sure it is something I am doing wrong, but can't figure what!