Why become a member? ×

I quit my band last night

4-string-thing

Just thought I'd say that I walked out of last nights rehearsal before the end, telling the guitards that "I've had enough of you c****, thats it, I'm done"

Boy, do I feel good? Yup, apart from the fact that they've managed to replace me within 15 hours!

If anyone needs a blonde wig and some spandex, pm me.....

Oh, sorry about my language....

Edited by 4-string-thing

[quote name='bigthumb' post='1114710' date='Feb 3 2011, 11:19 PM']Yes please! :)

I'm on the verge of quitting. Not easy but in my case necessary.[/quote]

No, it wasn't easy but after an hour of them taking the p**s out of me for having the audacity to like different types of music to them, I was finally pushed over the edge.

I was hoping to stay friends, but they've spent most of this evening having a dig at my girlfriend on facebook, so I'll probably be breaking some jaws tomorrow....

As someone on here said a few days ago "life's too short to play in a band where you're not happy" or words to that effect!

How ironic! I've just got back from rehearsal were we tried to "jam" and ended up with arguments about nothing significant that took up a good part of an hour.

I've recently handed in my notice anyway as I've secured a job in Nottingham that is too good to turn down that starts in September. I could stay but I personally believe I owe it to them as a band to let them find a bassist who is 100% committed in helping them get signed etc who hasn't got any over-riding committments.

Back to your point about taking the piss out of you for liking different music - if they seriously find that a problem then they should not consider themselves "musicians" in any way shape or form.

It is shame, of course, but these sound like unworkable situations with people who need to grow up a bit.

No one gets a perfect environment all of the time so there needs to be give annd take.
I find if you don't react for, say 24hrs, then you have a chance to get past something, as you haven't destroyed any bridges..

But it seems, in the OP...that they were spoiling for a fight, got one, got the reaction and got their way.
If they are that insular and childish and that is the way the relate to people, then they will struggle again in some time soon.

Best out of it.... when the trust breaks down to such a degree, who needs it?

The best solution is to put a better band togther, blow them away ..and let them suck on that.. ha ha !!!!

WOW, It must be the season for it!

Been chatting with our guitarist for a month or so now, As a band we are going nowhere, had to turn down gig offers, as the singer had a bad throat(again), they never remember to bring the rent money on time. We have GIVEN the drummer an MP3 player, filled with stuff we want to cover, asked him 2 weeks ago to make Lateralus his priority, and at the last rehearsal, had he done it....nope.

We used to rehearse at a studio, and the drummer told us its hard learning new stuff as he has nowhere to practise. so we all chip in, rent a unit (more cost than rehearsal space) Has it improved NO, does he learn the stuff faster NO.

Singer can never remember any of the lyrics - I am about 4 songs infront of the drummer and singer, Its just a waste of my money and time - we meet again this tuesday - I will be taking my towel! All the fun has gone for me, time for a new start.

What really annoys me, Is that I had not played bass for 15+years when we formed a year and half ago, and I have worked my nut sack off learning our stuff, plus I have secured every gig we have played, I managed our twitter/FB page, I type up and laminate set lists, organised the artwork/banners etc - no one else does a thing - they just turn up and dont really play as well as they should! I am holding down 2 jobs, (average working day for me is 8 till 22:30) I have a wife, three kids, and yet I still find the time to make the required effort!

I am out!

GGGRRRRRR!

sorry for the rant!

Edited by blind pilot

[quote name='blind pilot' post='1115014' date='Feb 4 2011, 10:26 AM']WOW, It must be the season for it!

Been chatting with our guitarist for a month or so now, As a band we are going nowhere, had to turn down gig offers, as the singer had a bad throat(again), they never remember to bring the rent money on time. We have GIVEN the drummer an MP3 player, filled with stuff we want to cover, asked him 2 weeks ago to make Lateralus his priority, and at the last rehearsal, had he done it....nope.

We used to rehearse at a studio, and the drummer told us its hard learning new stuff as he has nowhere to practise. so we all chip in, rent a unit (more cost than rehearsal space) Has it improved NO, does he learn the stuff faster NO.

Singer can never remember any of the lyrics - I am about 4 songs infront of the drummer and singer, Its just a waste of my money and time - we meet again this tuesday - I will be taking my towel! All the fun has gone for me, time for a new start.

What really annoys me, Is that I had not played bass for 15+years when we formed a year and half ago, and I have worked my nut sack off learning our stuff, plus I have secured every gig we have played, I managed our twitter/FB page, I type up and laminate set lists, organised the artwork/banners etc - no one else does a thing - they just turn up and dont really play as well as they should! I am holding down 2 jobs, (average working day for me is 8 till 22:30) I have a wife, three kids, and yet I still find the time to make the required effort!

I am out!

GGGRRRRRR!

sorry for the rant![/quote]

Not much you can say about that..but if you are prepared to do all that, I would think another band would welcome your input.

All the things you have listed should be the combined band effort...with the others chipping in to lessening the load.

[quote name='risingson' post='1115025' date='Feb 4 2011, 10:36 AM']Anyone that unprofessional are probably terrible musicians as well (small minded people make for the worst musicians) so I'm guessing you did the right thing.[/quote]

Not terrible musicians, just small minded and lazy, apart from the drummer who was very good.

One guitard couldn't improvise a solo, so spent months learning every song note for note (12 songs in as many months) The other guitard didn't learn anything alone, just waited til the first one knew it and could then teach him. The singer was a good frontman, but only an average singer and had an ego the size of Wales and was a patronising t**t.

They always seemed to accuse me of not knowing anything about "rock" just cos I spent 4 years previously playing folk-rock-Irish. What did they think I played for the previous 28 years?

Seems that because my favourite bands are Fairport, Richard Thompson, King Crimson and that sort of thing, not Van Halen or Kiss, then I deserve ridiculing every week.

I agree, JTUK, that it does look like they were after a reaction as they replaced me with an old mate within 24 hours!

I'm looking forward to getting back to playing the sort of stuff I like and having a bit more input....

You know we all hear the jokes - drummers=thick,singers = Diva, I am starting to think they are based on fact!

The only thing is, I am not looking forward to trying to find a new band/members, thought this was supposed to be fun! :)

Edited by blind pilot

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1115077' date='Feb 4 2011, 11:17 AM']I'm looking forward to getting back to playing the sort of stuff I like and having a bit more input....[/quote]

Why dont you advertise for musicians of similar taste and then you are much more in control of your own destiny

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1114719' date='Feb 3 2011, 11:27 PM']No, it wasn't easy but after an hour of them taking the p**s out of me for having the audacity to like different types of music to them, I was finally pushed over the edge.

I was hoping to stay friends, but they've spent most of this evening having a dig at my girlfriend on facebook, so I'll probably be breaking some jaws tomorrow....

As someone on here said a few days ago "life's too short to play in a band where you're not happy" or words to that effect![/quote]

And how old are these people?

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1115077' date='Feb 4 2011, 11:17 AM']Not terrible musicians, just small minded and lazy, apart from the drummer who was very good.

One guitard couldn't improvise a solo, so spent months learning every song note for note (12 songs in as many months) The other guitard didn't learn anything alone, just waited til the first one knew it and could then teach him. The singer was a good frontman, but only an average singer and had an ego the size of Wales and was a patronising t**t.[/quote]

The things you just described to me unfortunately spells out bad musicianship! You may as well invest the time into playing with a group of musicians that aren't so close minded and are happy to keep their minds open to all kinds of possibilities IMO. Hope you find something soon anyway.

I think the karma must be turning, or something. After my own thread we had a bit of an honest chat about things, and I think we made some progress - certainly, the tuning debacle got sorted!

The comment about your girlfriend. I just don't know where that would come from, it seems so unusually hurtful. I would have reacted in like manner.

[quote name='bumnote' post='1115111' date='Feb 4 2011, 11:59 AM']Why dont you advertise for musicians of similar taste and then you are much more in control of your own destiny[/quote]

The folk-rock band was my idea and I ran the band, that in itself led to all sorts of problems. When I say, I ran the band, the bandleader role was something that I got landed with really, not something I really wanted.

This kinda thing is why I stopped playing in bands quite a few yrs ago.
There was always some kind of friction.
I got to stage I just couldn't be bothered with it. Life's too short.
Now I enjoy jamming with some old friends - no pressure, no commitment and just good fun.
Maybe some day I'll consider a proper band - who knows.

Dave :)

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1115164' date='Feb 4 2011, 12:44 PM']The folk-rock band was my idea and I ran the band, that in itself led to all sorts of problems. When I say, I ran the band, the bandleader role was something that I got landed with really, not something I really wanted.[/quote]

Yes I have that role in my main band on the basis of If I dont do it no one else will. I used to get very frustrated, but now i just get on with it.

However, I joined another band which is really only a bit of fun. One of the guitarists is in the same boat as me and runs a function band, we both try and stay away from that side of things and say we will play and thats it.

Serves you right for retiring the acoustic, its got the hump and is bringing you bad vibes man

[quote name='bumnote' post='1115201' date='Feb 4 2011, 01:09 PM']Serves you right for retiring the acoustic, its got the hump and is bringing you bad vibes man[/quote]

Funny you should say that.... The only reason I bought The MAG 600 was cos I needed to be really loud to keep up with 2 idiot guitards.... The 220 may be brought out of retirement and one of the MAG heads will be surplus to requirements, along with a green Yamaha BBG-4A....