Why become a member? ×

Jeff Berlin Banned from Talkbass Shock!

Spoombung

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1114455' date='Feb 3 2011, 08:27 PM']is jeff berlin famous ?

and why is 'famous' interesting ? x-factor dicks are famous. doesn't mean they're worthy of discussion.[/quote]

Yep, in my eyes, I saw him in Victoria, London with Bruford in 1982, great bass player.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1114455' date='Feb 3 2011, 08:27 PM']is jeff berlin famous ?

and why is 'famous' interesting ? x-factor dicks are famous. doesn't mean they're worthy of discussion.[/quote]Now come on Phil, thats not true..i could bitch about Simon Scowl all day with you guys..

"A bass clinic"

Does he look after poorly fish? My kids lost two to fin rot last year. A mate of mine said I had been a bit heavy handed changing the water and the said fin rot was caused by stress.

If Jeff does feel comfortable to come back I would appreciate his thoughts.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1114575' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:37 PM']maybe it is for some, but for the most part, i really dont think its because of that reason..there not that thin skinned surely.. i asked Julian Crampton if hes come on BC, and he said he just doesnt get the time...[/quote]

I suspect that anyone who has a busy life doesn't spend their time on forums. The pro musicians I know are either teaching all day and playing every night, or on the golf course.

Maybe the golf forum would be the place to find them. I don't spend my free time down at TalkEngineering or EngineeringChat.

Most will have a techinician to mend amps and basses and won't be spending all their time fiddling "under the hood". If they're rich enough they'll pay to get it fixed and if they're stuggling they'll be working to pay for the repairs :)

[quote name='Johngh' post='1114630' date='Feb 3 2011, 10:18 PM']Only if folk want to turn up on the forum just to cause trouble by posting offensive comments. In my view.[/quote]

And you think someone like Jeff Berlin couldn't deal with this kind of behaviour? Perhaps a proffessional who spends their life being analysed on stage and studio couldn't deal with criticism? I don't buy the whole "suck up to the pros" argument.

My knowledge of JB would suggest he's more likely to post if he thinks he'll cause an argument. Amongst bass players he's now more famous for his metronome argument then his playing.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1114775' date='Feb 4 2011, 12:33 AM']Though Mr Berlin's approach to bass is not really my cup of tea, on the whole I rather like the cut of his jib. 'Punchy' and 'no-nonsense' spring to mind.

I think he'd make a marvellous basschatter, particularly in some of the more pungent OT threads.[/quote]I too. like his no-nonsense approach but he reminds me of this person.
[attachment=71100:tyne.jpg]

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1114527' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:09 PM']another thread... im starting to see a picture of Jeff Berlin [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737610"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737610[/url][/quote]

I loved Wayne's comment buried halfway down page 3 in this thread, completely hilarious :)

It's a shame that Talkbass was complacent in the wake of the usual trolls who were always popping up in Jeff's threads. Jeff, more than any pro playereven Michael Manring who ran his own forum, was willing to take time out his day to chat with people on Talkbass. He had his own views which he has enjoyed tremendous success from, but sadly a small minority just saw his presence as an excuse to wind him up and take the piss.

Which is a shame. Jeff is a bloke who is as technically accomplished as they come, has been in the music business for over thirty years and runs his own music school!

I didn't keep up with the TB thread, but Jeff Berlin's whoel attitude seems a bit arrogant:

"But some guys over there just talk the talk and don't have the musical experience to know that what they subscribe to in regards to music education doesn't work. But, they think that it does. "

That just reads me to as: "You guys aren't famous musicians, you're wrong, I'm right because I'm Jeff Berlin. Deal with it."

There's a thousand and one ways to teach music. As long as you're teaching the actual correct information I don't think there's a wrong way. I know he's a Berklee alum so I imagine he was advocating a strict traditional academic music education, which is great for some people, but some people learn best other ways.

I don't imagine TB is innocent to be honest, I don't like it much because it's way too cliquey, I can imagine the mods practicing double standards.

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='1114819' date='Feb 4 2011, 02:00 AM']I didn't keep up with the TB thread, but Jeff Berlin's whoel attitude seems a bit arrogant:

"But some guys over there just talk the talk and don't have the musical experience to know that what they subscribe to in regards to music education doesn't work. But, they think that it does. "

That just reads me to as: "You guys aren't famous musicians, you're wrong, I'm right because I'm Jeff Berlin. Deal with it."[/quote]
He's right though. There are guys on Talkbass and on other music forums who will give advice that is flawed or just plain wrong-It's not about
being famous or not. There are lots of bedroom players on all instruments who don't have any gigging or teaching experience but tell others what they should be doing with regard to learning,but will argue about it all day long.

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='1114819' date='Feb 4 2011, 02:00 AM']There's a thousand and one ways to teach music. As long as you're teaching the actual correct information I don't think there's a wrong way. I know he's a Berklee alum so I imagine he was advocating a strict traditional academic music education, which is great for some people, but some people learn best other ways.[/quote]

People do learn in different ways,but the problem is they don't always learn the 'actual correct information'. Just look at the number of players who don't know the notes on the fingerboard,or how to spell a C chord,or can't read. That is the kind of musical information that should be taught,and there really aren't
many different ways to approach it. There are tons of different ways to apply it,but the actual learning of the 'facts' are pretty limited.

I rarely look at Talkbass because the infantile threads of "What colour Jazz should I buy? What colour scratchplate should I put on my Precision? and the endless "Official black bass owners club, official jazz with a maple neck owners club, official maple neck but with a roseboard board neck owners club; yada yada yada that they have, it's too much of a PITA to search out the worthwhile threads.

I wish that minority would be respectful to pro bass players when they show up. No more or no less respectful than other people deserve but there DOES seem to be a minority with chips on their shoulders and something to prove.

Like...get over yourselves?

Its up to Jeff and other pro players to manage their own reactions to these individuals. But when they have to tolerate an onslaught of abuse from a bunch of them, I think it's just rude. I don't blame the pros for avoiding forums, I would as well if in their shoes. They shouldn't have to tolerate being treated unfairly.