Why become a member? ×

Jeff Berlin Banned from Talkbass Shock!

Spoombung

Apparently it's true. I did not follow events leading up to it but Jeff has posted this up to his Facebook slot tonight. I'm sure you'll notice it refers to a [b]Basschat thread[/b]:

[i]:Emilio J. Urrusano said, “Jeff, I enjoy reading your opinions and thoughts and I also enjoy reading the responses (time permitting) from everyone else... I don't always agree with everything you have to say but I love how all the discussions are thought provoking and everyone remains respectful.”

Jeff answered: Thank you Emilio! As a suggestion, if I suggest something that you don’t agree with, please raise up your thoughts here so that I might try to explain my thinking. It could be a help to me, and to all of us, if I needed to try to explain myself better. Thanks!

Michael Earnhardt said, “Why were you banned from Talkbass ? Because you told the truth ? You must have really hit some nerves for them to do that ! ( Way to go, Jeff---Keep spreading the word no matter who gets upset !)”

Jeff answered: I earned my ban because of my own bad choice of words. Talkbass is monitored by people who agreed with the members who were making things personal, and they allowed them to have at me in all kinds of personal ways. Fool that I was, I shot back in kind and got banned for it. I accept this! But some guys over there just talk the talk and don't have the musical experience to know that what they subscribe to in regards to music education doesn't work. But, they think that it does.

Joe Hubbard said, “I have always found these forum trolls odd; they hide behind their screen names talking sh*t, but these same guys would never man-up in person at a clinic or a gig.”

Jeff answered: This is the function of many on Talkbass,to hide and talk. Not all of them, mind you! I met some terrific people over there. But the large percentage aren't musically aware players. They just think that they are. When I suggested ways for them to change this, they went crazy, and unfortunately, so did I. But, never again!

Jason Marsh said, “There's a recent thread on a UK forum "Any really famous guys spotted etc"...I'll answer for them, NO!! because you trolls f***ed it up!!”

Jeff answered: Totally true! I know for a fact that some top names (and I mean as high as you can imagine) have told me that they wouldn't ever chat on the internet out of fear of the comments from some Talkbass members. They remember the days when I was involved and they kept asking me to leave the site. But, I wanted to see it through to the end. The problem with the Talkbass guys and their attitude is that they have stopped other world famous musicians from joining the chat after they saw how they acted when I was there. This is true, and if I told you the names of the guys who were considering going there, some would be amazed.

Dann glenn said, “You know sometimes I just get SO pissed off seeing this stuff Jase. I swear to god Jeff just blows it off. Really! It drives me nuts. :) He talks me down sometimes and we move on. I think Jeff sees it more for what it really is, thus giving it little or/no credence. I just let it as you Brits say, "wind me up."

Jeff anwered: Dann and I are guys who don’t pull punches. I’m still practicing communicating my thoughts with a little bit of sweet sauce, but Dann is a Viet Nam vet, an ex. cop and a guy you do NOT want to mess with in an alley. His lifestyle is hard to totally shut off once you've gotten your civvies back on. In my case, I’ve been to a lot of therapy and have learned (more or less) to consider the source of those who made statements as truth. The fact is, the internet has made every little twit with a guitar an expert in his opinion and I am here to state publically that this is false. So does Dann Glenn.[/i]

...Oh dear, that'll get them all going.

I don't blame big players staying off forums, at all. It's just going to leave a nasty taste in their mouths for the best part. I'm not suggesting for one second that a site like this is full of idiots, in fact 99.99% of people I've spoken to on this site have been incredibly great people to chat with (and to meet), but every so often I've seen one or two people spout off about something that they don't understand about or slag something or someone down just because they don't like the music and without giving any forethought to what they're saying.

Talkbass I must admit is a completely different kettle of fish to this site, I've done a bit of posting up there but there seem to be one too many members who are keen to assert that your gear is crap or why a certain type of music/player isn't any good and all the while displaying a serious lack of understanding as to what they're talking about... so far I'm yet to encounter the same degree of hostility over on this site. Sorry if that offends any TB users (again, I've met some delightful members as well so I'm not keen to tar you all with the same brush), but the atmosphere is very different. So who can blame professional bass players from staying off of these kinds of forums really.

• Thanks 1

At least a year ago now, Jeff had a letter published in Bass player in which he apologised for being "wrong" - his word, in some of the views he'd held and put forward in the past and that he was now much more open to other opinions of musical education. It seemed to get almost no reaction for some reason.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1114395' date='Feb 3 2011, 07:46 PM'].

Joe Hubbard said, “I have always found these forum trolls odd; they hide behind their screen names talking sh*t, but these same guys would never man-up in person at a clinic or a gig.”[/quote]

Is it wrong that this is the bit that stuck in my mind, I mean a bass clinic can you think of anything more dull?

[quote name='Johngh' post='1114568' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:33 PM']I guess the way this thread will end up will be a classic example of exactly why a lot of name players don't sign up to the forum and share their views with us. They will just get flamed by the 0.1% of trolls on here.

Soz, just my view of it.[/quote]

But it's ok to flame the 0.1% then? In your view?

[quote name='Johngh' post='1114568' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:33 PM']I guess the way this thread will end up will be a classic example of exactly why a lot of name players don't sign up to the forum and share their views with us. They will just get flamed by the 0.1% of trolls on here.

Soz, just my view of it.[/quote]maybe it is for some, but for the most part, i really dont think its because of that reason..there not that thin skinned surely.. i asked Julian Crampton if hes come on BC, and he said he just doesnt get the time...