Why become a member? ×

Advice needed in Ebay dispute

BottomE

Was not aware this was a thread on here from from a fellow Basschatter.

So now the 2 parties are out in the open.

I can assure you, I am not a chancer, scammer, trying it on or any other of the derogatory remarks made against me.

I have bought and sold many basses on here from fellow basschatters with never an issue, only compliments.

Please follow the link for my concern I raised this evening.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121781"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121781[/url]

I stand by what I have said.. I bought a bass with a case included. I expect it to be shipped in a suitable condition to protect both items.

I had hoped we could resolve this amicably

Ebay have long ago moved to give the seller less and less protection and the buyer so much protection that it is simple to abuse. The ebay forums themselves are brim full of very unhappy sellers who have been ripped off.

I used to sell Sherlock Holmes stuff on ebay and had many people message me saying it had not turned up. I got a postal reciept with every thing i sent so that i could claim if i needed to. Usually after informing them of this i never heard from them again. In the end i got sick of people trying it on for a few quid, i mean are some people really so mean? Yes they are.

Edited by daz

[quote name='BottomE' post='1113655' date='Feb 3 2011, 11:27 AM']Hi,

i want to keep this simple and as clear as possible.

Guy buys bass from me off of E(vil)Bay.
I post it insured.
He receives and signs for it.
He sends me email saying that the bass is fine but the case is in very bad condition.
I reply saying that the bass is the item that he has bid on - the case which i except is not in great condition is only a means of transporting the bass but perfectly adequate to protect an instrument during transportation.
He raises a dispute.

For me it seems like he is scamming me so i have to buy a new case (thats what he asked for in the dispute) for him.

What do you think?[/quote]
Why dont you just pop 2 in the back of his napper....whining git

This really is quite an interesting discussion.

The issue ultimately comes downs to different people's interpretation of what is acceptable in the way of packaging for a bass. I have bought three basses of eBay - I collected one and had the other two posted. One was a cheapy and just had cardboard wrapped around it with some packing tape, no suprises that one of the machine heads had been snapped off by the time it arrived. With the other (mid priced) bass, I specifically asked the seller to ensure it was well packaged. They sent it in a reasonably well padded soft case with a little bit more bubble wrap around the neck. Now, if I was going to send a bass like that I would completely stuff the case with bubble wrap and cover it in fragile stickers. The softcase was not mentioned in the advert so this was a bonus, but the bass did suffer a couple of small knocks to the body (which was previously mint condition). So the seller has a different interpretation as to what 'well packaged' mean compared to me.

I think the only thing you can do is to agree in some detail with the seller as to what you would deem to be acceptable packaging before you bid. If you then win/buy the bass and it is shipped differently then you have a string position to make a case.

Just my thoughts.....

[quote name='Bankai' post='1117216' date='Feb 6 2011, 12:02 AM']Well, after reading both threads in full I think the one who should be paying out is Parcelforce.[/quote]

You won't get anything from them.
[url="http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw/content1?mediaId=26000667&catId=25900691"]Items we exclude from compensation[/url]

6th item under Fragile:
"Musical instruments – no enhanced compensation is available"

So you could get a max of £200 (if it was an express service), but they'd just say the packaging was insufficient.