Why become a member? ×

Round or Flat...?

Grassie

Hi everyone,

Bought a VM Jazz fretless last year, and would like some advice on strings. I've been playing it with some stainless roundwounds on for a while, but have just taken them off as 1) they are as dead as a dodo, and 2) they have started to mark the ebanol fingerboard. Now, as I understand it, flatwounds won't make a mess of the fingerboard, but will I get the same sound as I do with rounds? I love the tone the late, great Mick Karn got from his bass and would be happy if I could get close to that sound, but I'm doubting I could do it with flats. Don't fancy ground/halfwounds as I don't want to bugger the fingerboard any more. I appreciate that this thread has probably been started before, but I would love to hear your opinions on this....

Cheers :)

If you want a roundwound fretless sound like Mick Karn, then you're going to need to use roundwound strings.

Nickel strings will be slightly less abrasive on the fingerboard.

Strings are a very personal choice and you may have to try lots of different ones before you find the right balance of sound versus fingerboard wear for you.

I'd start by looking at a set of Pedulla Nickels.