Why become a member? ×

Duran's bass player being a total tool

KiOgon

Just caught the end of Alan Carr show t'other night as he introduced the Durans so I watched :) Who's the bass player? What a twat, I saw him fart about 'tuning' his A string I think, about 4 or 5 times during the minute or so I watched, couldn't understand it, 'pro player'? Even reaching over with his right hand, I'm sure they were miming any how!

Anyone else see it? I had a quick look but couldn't find it on youtube?

Edit: Found the whole show ads & all, Durans start about 43:30 [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0EJ8kb-qks&has_verified=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0EJ8kb-qks...;has_verified=1[/url]

Edit 2: Watched it again :lol: 5 times + still fiddling after they'd finished :)

Edited by KiOgon

I'm pretty sure they were performing live - the tune sounded different to the album version, and John Taylor's bass sound on the album didn't have such an obvious envelope filter tone to it. I guess he was just looking for an opportunity to tune up! And, I must say, I approve of Simon LeBon's beardiness. :)

Pretty tricky to keep playing 1/16ths whilst reaching over to tune... and not dropping a beat! It could be done if his right hand continued to hammer the notes but that doesn't look/sound to be the case. :)

Saying that, there's nowt worse than thinking you are out of tune with the rest of the band and you are mid song.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1112862' date='Feb 2 2011, 07:21 PM']Pretty tricky to keep playing 1/16ths whilst reaching over to tune... and not dropping a beat! It could be done if his right hand continued to hammer the notes but that doesn't look/sound to be the case. :)

Saying that, there's nowt worse than thinking you are out of tune with the rest of the band and you are mid song.[/quote]ahh.. couldnt watch the vid..bad internet.. maybe he has OCD?

i had it for years when i was younger...

Edited by bubinga5

Miming.
I had the unfortunate experience of seeing DD on the first date of their comeback tour, 2005?
My wife's sis was a DD fan back in the day and arranged for her and her hubby and my wife and I to see them in Nottingham.
I only went because Goldfrapp were supporting, they were excellent. Then, DD came on. :)
After false starts to songs, out of time, tune reditions of "classics" and hearing men in their 30's and 40's screaming with deight at the sight of Si and Co, I turned to my wife and said "I think I'm in hell".
I went outside and smoked for the rest of the gig.

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1112806' date='Feb 2 2011, 06:49 PM']Just caught the end of Alan Carr show t'other night as he introduced the Durans so I watched :) Who's the bass player? What a twat, I saw him fart about 'tuning' his A string[/quote]
IMO, it was played live over a backing track. He felt he was out-of-tune, so he kept tweaking it to try and put it right.

Twat, or conscientious? I got for the latter. He's a great player.

Err....why would he be tuning if they were miming?

Asides from not been neccasserry, it's a dead giveaway.

Sounds live anyway, and it looks like he's fretting to let the note ring while he tunes. He was probably having problems, it does happen, bad string, dodgy bridge saddle, the string could have been slipping out of tune, happens to the best of us.

[quote name='wizbat' post='1112960' date='Feb 2 2011, 08:32 PM']Hasn't anyone noticed that there aren't any strings on the the lead guitar?[/quote]

LOL I thought that but wasn't that fussed to go back and check each time he came up!

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='1112965' date='Feb 2 2011, 08:37 PM']Err....why would he be tuning if they were miming?[/quote]

See above.

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='1112965' date='Feb 2 2011, 08:37 PM']Sounds live anyway, and it looks like he's fretting to let the note ring while he tunes. He was probably having problems, it does happen, bad string, dodgy bridge saddle, the string could have been slipping out of tune, happens to the best of us.[/quote]

As WoT says it was probably recorded live earlier in the day/whenever and they were playing along to a backing track. However, if it were genuinely meant to be live you could not have had JT fretting a note whilst taking his plucking hand to tune whilst at the same time hearing a continued pulsing of notes (unless as I suggested earlier he was hammering on which you can't see him doing and there is usually a difference in tone when this happens).

Not that any of it matters because JT was doing it for whatever reason he felt appropriate. Maybe it was his subliminal way of saying 'I realise the guitarist has no strings so is indicating his contempt for the prerecorded format and this is my way of thumbing my nose at the fact we aren't playing live'... just my thoughts. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1112975' date='Feb 2 2011, 08:46 PM']LOL I thought that but wasn't that fussed to go back and check each time he came up!

See above.

As WoT says it was probably recorded live earlier in the day/whenever and they were playing along to a backing track. However, if it were genuinely meant to be live you could not have had JT fretting a note whilst taking his plucking hand to tune whilst at the same time hearing a continued pulsing of notes (unless as I suggested earlier he was hammering on which you can't see him doing and there is usually a difference in tone when this happens).

Not that any of it matters because JT was doing it for whatever reason he felt appropriate. Maybe it was his subliminal way of saying 'I realise the guitarist has no strings so is indicating his contempt for the prerecorded format and this is my way of thumbing my nose at the fact we aren't playing live'... just my thoughts. :)[/quote]

I too think it was recorded earlier. When he reaches over to tune up there is no change to his sound and he is not making any obvious effort to hammer on. The guitar with no strings is odd and only adds to the mystery.

On the whole I quite liked the song, and JT is a great bass player.

I think they're just playing along to a backing tape and JT and the guitarist are just having a bit of an in-joke about miming as Iron Maiden, Mudd etc. have done in the past (no strings on Guitar.....pretending to tune up and so on).
Hilarious.

Mmmm.

ps. If you watch his fingers closely it's not in time with what's being played on the track.

[quote name='dan2112' post='1114221' date='Feb 3 2011, 05:53 PM']Anyone else notice the BXP logo on the Peavey Cirrus?[/quote]

Apparently he's got a Sei Bass on the way, so we probably won't be seeing him with the Peaveys for too much longer. :)

Just waiting for it to download now,pesky cornish speed! have seen john play live a fair bit and i have always been impressed , and he has been inspirational to myself and many other bass players over the years . not sure what he was up to on this one until i have watched it . how many others have never heard of john taylor ? thought that was part of a bass players initiation love him or loath him!