Why become a member? ×

cheapest bass in most expensive situation

lojo

[quote name='razze06' post='1113989' date='Feb 3 2011, 03:25 PM']Seems to be that way for certain brands, especially guitars IMO. I will stick my neck out and say that Gibson are top offenders in this.

The mid-life crisis market is a very lucrative one, especially for aspirational items such as motorbikes, sport cars, and musical instruments [b](rock and roll ones, can't see anyone splash out on a top of the range flame maple veneered bassoon to cure their crisis).[/b] People are cashing in on that![/quote]

A top of the range flame maple veneered bassoon will run you £22 000 or there abouts! Now don't get me started on the contra...

hahah

Totally agree with you on this one, maybe its because all Gibson Endorsees are balding? or have so much gunk in their hair its all going to fall of in a heap?

Haha :) just joshing to you gibo players!

Edited by AttitudeCastle

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1113956' date='Feb 3 2011, 03:06 PM']My kid brother owns a Harley shop in Chepstow and tells me that the motorcycle world is very similar. Most of the people who can afford an 'off the peg' Harley are middle aged 'mid-life crisis' cases who are attracted to the glamour of the brand. Is it the same for top end basses?[/quote]

Yep, it's the same with biking, and not just with Harleys - last time I was at the TT a couple of years ago the place was full of middle-aged guys in the full replica leathers toodling around on brand new £10k sportsbikes with every possible bit of carbon-fibred extra. Up over the mountain, on the fast bits, the same blokes were still toodling along - I couldn't believe how many I went past on my big old daily-transport Honda, complete with topbox containing a packed lunch...now I've nothing against toodling along, but some of them were riding so poorly at speed they were actually a liability...

[quote name='Muzz' post='1116447' date='Feb 5 2011, 12:45 PM']Yep, it's the same with biking, and not just with Harleys - last time I was at the TT a couple of years ago the place was full of middle-aged guys in the full replica leathers toodling around on brand new £10k sportsbikes with every possible bit of carbon-fibred extra. Up over the mountain, on the fast bits, the same blokes were still toodling along - I couldn't believe how many I went past on my big old daily-transport Honda, complete with topbox containing a packed lunch...now I've nothing against toodling along, but some of them were riding so poorly at speed they were actually a liability...[/quote]

Mid-life crisis + bass playing = a moderate hole in the bank account
Mid-life crisis + motorcycle riding =as above
Mid-life crisis + amateur mountaineer + commercial expeditions to Mount Everest = OMG!!!!!!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1115046' date='Feb 4 2011, 10:53 AM']Yep, that was me posting about that. He kept the blue Jazz in its stand all night.

[/quote]
That car affinity jazz is identical to mine except I have changed the pg to a black 3ply one, put full size open tuners on, had the fret edges dressed in, Bartoloni pups, EBS preamp and repositioned the jack socket to the body and I have fitted a Badass II bridge. Other than that though it's still identical :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1113213' date='Feb 2 2011, 11:10 PM']yep, but not the Fender, it was the original Gibson EB1 which was violin shaped, so he went for the cheaper copy.[/quote]
[quote name='Doddy' post='1113354' date='Feb 3 2011, 01:39 AM']Yeah I know about the EB1,but I seem to remember an old interview where he says that Fenders were too expensive,
and that was why he went for the Hofner,because he wouldn't buy it on tick.[/quote]
[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1113871' date='Feb 3 2011, 02:05 PM']I remember reading the same but about the Gibson :)

IIRC he liked the Gibby because there were no left hand basses available and the EB1 wouldn't look too bad played left handed.

Sir Paul, if you are out there and are one of the 'famous bass players on BC' can you please set us straight? :)[/quote]
I've read the Fender version of that story but also that McCartney thought Fenders were for 'proper' bass players and, being left-handed, the symmetrical Hofner would look more natural anyway.

McCartney bought his first Hofner in 1961 in Germany when the Gibson EB1 had been discontinued since 1958 (or thereabouts); so it would seem unlikely that he had an immediate choice between buying the Hofner or the Gibson.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1118330' date='Feb 6 2011, 09:51 PM']That car affinity jazz is identical to mine except I have changed the pg to a black 3ply one, put full size open tuners on, had the fret edges dressed in, Bartoloni pups, EBS preamp and repositioned the jack socket to the body and I have fitted a Badass II bridge. Other than that though it's still identical :)[/quote]

Have you also got the Victor Meldrew outfit :)

Edited by dave_bass5

Dont know if this has already been mentioned and yes it is a guitar rather than a bass but hey

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8j4RS7FyQs&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8j4RS7FyQs...feature=related[/url]

Regie Wooten playing a Squire Strat (admittedly it's a japanese one but if it's like my 83 JV Strat it only cost £210 new)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1113177' date='Feb 2 2011, 10:53 PM']I've got a good one, The Blessing, indie Jazz / Pop band the bass player stated on Bass Guitar magazine that he only ever records and plays a very old Squier Precision as in this video

[/quote]

That's Jim Barr, who also plays in some band called Portishead.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='el borracho' post='1116708' date='Feb 5 2011, 04:56 PM']I read an interview with Roger Glover once - probably in the 80's - where he said that for recording he favoured a Hondo Longhorn.[/quote]

I think I read the same interview (in Music UK), he called the Longhorn "one of the best basses I've ever played".

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1118403' date='Feb 6 2011, 10:53 PM']I've read the Fender version of that story but also that McCartney thought Fenders were for 'proper' bass players and, being left-handed, the symmetrical Hofner would look more natural anyway.

McCartney bought his first Hofner in 1961 in Germany when the Gibson EB1 had been discontinued since 1958 (or thereabouts); so it would seem unlikely that he had an immediate choice between buying the Hofner or the Gibson.[/quote]

i don't think it so unlikely that a bass in 1961 costing how ever many months wages, could languish in a shop for 2-3 years?

I know it's guitar and not bass, but a mate of mine told me one of the guitarists from Gallows plays Squiers, but sticks decent pickups in them. When they get battered and beaten or whatever (Gallows being a pretty extreme British Punk band) he just whips the pups out and puts them in the next one.

Once read an interview with the Stereo MCs, who had just done some new stuff after disappearing for a few years after having a hit with Connected. They were discussing the recording process & said they always used a Satellite bass with knackered old strings on their tunes, but someone borrowed it & after they put new strings on it they had to have a five year wait before it sounded OK again!

Cheers,

B.