Why become a member? ×

Help needed: The Night - Frankie Valli and the Four Season

chuck_stones

In a life often marred by a series of unlikely yet avoidable fork ups I still manage to surprise myself.

I spent many days labouring on this tune, teaching myself both to transcribe a bass line and to operate new and complicated software as I went along. Then last night I sat down to attempt to actually play it, and guess what. I have not been working on the bassline to The Night by Frankie Valli but rather on some Youtube guy's bass cover of The Night by Frankie Valli.

It's a great line, and the experience was invaluable. But it isn't the original.

Face.

Palm.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, just found this thread while trying to find the score for this fantastic song. I bought it on the chameleon album back in the 70’s and forgot about it over a period of time until I heard it on R2 a month or so back.

ive trawled loads of site and have only found the guitar chords so far. Anyone know if there is a piano/keyboard score available anywhere please?

On 15/11/2019 at 11:30, stewblack said:

In a life often marred by a series of unlikely yet avoidable fork ups I still manage to surprise myself.

I spent many days labouring on this tune, teaching myself both to transcribe a bass line and to operate new and complicated software as I went along. Then last night I sat down to attempt to actually play it, and guess what. I have not been working on the bassline to The Night by Frankie Valli but rather on some Youtube guy's bass cover of The Night by Frankie Valli.

It's a great line, and the experience was invaluable. But it isn't the original.

Face.

Palm.

It's close enough mate, as I said earlier in this thread, it's not the notes you play that matter, it's the way you play whatever notes you play :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Beedster said:

It's close enough mate, as I said earlier in this thread, it's not the notes you play that matter, it's the way you play whatever notes you play :)

Guess what? They now want me to sing one of the harmony lines to it at the same time.

I have one of the verses down and it's a joy to play.

• 1 month later...

Is it just me or does the very long bass fill/link before the last chorus sound reminiscent of the second 8 bar pattern in Teen Town? 

I learnt the Four Seasons bass part (including that fill - which I've used elsewhere) when the song first came out but have only managed to learn and play Teen Town more recently - of all the phrases in it, that second 8 bars seemed the most 'natural' to play for me - probably because of knowledge of the Four Seasons track. 

Anyway it's a great bass part, as were many around that era - various tracks off Grease being great examples. 

4 hours ago, Steve Rylands said:

Hi Guys

I am new to this forum and found this thread whilst surfing for midi files.

i have attached a bass tab pdf & Mp3 generated from a midi file that I found.

Is it of any help?

Ryleybags

The Night-Bass4.pdf 57.78 kB · 3 downloads The Night-Bass.mp3 3.12 MB · 2 downloads

Thanks Steve, and welcome to BC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Is it just me or does the very long bass fill/link before the last chorus sound reminiscent of the second 8 bar pattern in Teen Town? 

I learnt the Four Seasons bass part (including that fill - which I've used elsewhere) when the song first came out but have only managed to learn and play Teen Town more recently - of all the phrases in it, that second 8 bars seemed the most 'natural' to play for me - probably because of knowledge of the Four Seasons track. 

Anyway it's a great bass part, as were many around that era - various tracks off Grease being great examples. 

Amazing how many similar 'economies' are to be found in recordings :)

• Like 1

On 30/01/2011 at 15:01, chuck_stones said:

For years I've been listening to the amazing bassline for this track, and I just can't even begin to get my head round it.

* much time has passed *

Those are the ones that can be very rewarding.

Personally I tend to 'chip away' at them over weeks (or months, or years!), which is admittedly not much good if you need to learn it by next weekend!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
11 hours ago, tourdefran said:

why, what it means?

I think it means that, like so many classic bass lines, they sound simpler to play and, dare I say it, less well played and/or recorded than we might otherwise have imagined. In this case, having heard the soloed track, I agree on both counts, although it remains a great performance of a great line. Thanks again for posting tourdefran 

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, stewblack said:

The band dropped it but I still enjoy playing it. 

Same here. Actually the group that had it didn't carry on, but there are some tracks that go into your practice routine, and that is one of them as it is fun one to play.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stewblack said:

Now I've heard it isolated I'm going to rewrite  the sheet music. Can add tab if that's how folk prefer it. 

Yes please!  Would love to see at tab, if it wasn't too much extra trouble.

38 minutes ago, acidbass said:

Yes please!  Would love to see at tab, if it wasn't too much extra trouble.

I am reworking the transcription on a piece of software which adds Tab at the flick of a switch so no problem at all.