Why become a member? ×

Virus Warning on tabs site!

smurfitt

Hi all,
This is a genuine warning about tab sites where viruses are lurking so please read in full.

I went on vaious sites last week looking for a specific tab and along the way got a nasty fake antivirus pop up that sounds off a siren, keeps warning of infected files, wants you to buy its software and if you don't it eventually stops you accessing the Internet. I wasn't sure which site I got it from until. I called a tech guy who said that if I didn't get rid of it I would lose all data and need a new pc. I used Malwarebytes but this virus can avoid being detected. I tried restoring to a previous date and luckily it worked. However, my friend hasn't been so lucky and had to use back up disks to restore to factory settings before he could use his pc again.
Today at work I was looking for the tab again and went onto Bassmasta. The same virus came on. Fortunately, my pc is Govt property so the scam antivirus was obliterated quickly.
So my advice is be careful when accessing: BASSMASTA or SONGSTER

Cheers

Methinks the OP (and his mate) has been clicking "OK" and downloading things, as it's...rather difficult to get viruses just from viewing a site these days. Not impossible, but all these popups generally require you download the program first, even if it doesn't appear that way.

But it's a fair warning that some site admins don't police their adverts.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1106182' date='Jan 28 2011, 01:33 PM']Another reason to not bother with Tab sites then :)[/quote]

To Doddy, Tabs are worse than a virus and should be wiped from the earth :)

Buy a Mac

Edited by lojo

[quote name='Doddy' post='1106182' date='Jan 28 2011, 01:33 PM']Another reason to not bother with Tab sites then :)[/quote]

Doddy immediately sprang to mind when I read the title of this thread, not surprisingly it's already been used as Anti-Tab ammunition. More power to your elbow sir, younger/less experienced players are denying themselves the 'ear training' that comes with working out a tune from scratch - great training.

See also Bilbo's signature...

My wife got a malware thing called My Disk which attaches itself to programs and pops up every 5 seconds saying the disk is knackered and the memory is about to explode. She claims she got it on a site selling curtains, and when she got warnings from the firewall, of course she clicked the Block button. Not hard to get rid of, fortunately, just a registry hack and delete a few files.

It's not actually a virus until you panic and press "Ok" (or Cancel or anything....). It's a nasty bit of social engineering. If you get something like that, just close the page or tab. Don't give it permission to download something - which will be a virus.

As has been said - but in all seriousness - I couldn't put up with all that crap. Most people only use their computers to browse the web anyway. Get a free copy of Ubuntu and install it, then sit back and laugh at these things :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1107827' date='Jan 30 2011, 06:51 AM']It's not actually a virus until you panic and press "Ok" (or Cancel or anything....). It's a nasty bit of social engineering. If you get something like that, just close the page or tab. Don't give it permission to download something - which will be a virus.

As has been said - but in all seriousness - I couldn't put up with all that crap. Most people only use their computers to browse the web anyway. Get a free copy of Ubuntu and install it, then sit back and laugh at these things :)[/quote]

+1

We are dumping the traditional OS at work for Ubuntu.

Bit of a change for the R&D department as they are all .net programmers!

Still, Eclipse under Ubuntu and we can all write apps for the Android market :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1107827' date='Jan 30 2011, 06:51 AM']It's not actually a virus until you panic and press "Ok" (or Cancel or anything....). It's a nasty bit of social engineering. If you get something like that, just close the page or tab. Don't give it permission to download something - which will be a virus.[/quote]
+1 this. At work I am the person who has to remove it for you :).