Why become a member? ×

What strings do you put on your Rick?

Mr Fudge

I have become the proud owner of a Rick 4003 this week. I have put on my usual Ernie balls 45 - 100 and the strings seem a little "tight". I know the neck is dead straight and I have read on forums that this is preferred with a rick. I have put a bit of relief into my jazz basses over the years and this has helped. I may well slip down a guage to give a bit more flexibility in the string. I think the factories may have been 45-95ish?

I will be taking the rick into battle for the first time tomorrow night and tbh probably wont notice.
Just wondered if other rick users have any thoughts.

cheers.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='1106184' date='Jan 28 2011, 01:33 PM']bump :)[/quote]

I use DR Sunbeams 45-105 on my 4003, with zero neck relief. I like the sunbeams for feel, clarity of sound and longevity. I have tried a lighter gauge but always come back to the 'medium' set. I use the same strings for my Jazz and Precisions but the Fenders are all adjusted with a small amount of relief.

Strange ... the world of bass that is ....

I put my trusty super slinkies on 100 - 45 and the strings seemed really tight. I have now swapped for the lighter gauge (blue packet) 95 -40 and it has made the world of difference. Lots of give and this bass has gone from good to fantastic. I really didn't want to mess with the neck and its a real quick win.

My jazz basses have 100 - 45 and have lots of give. I just do not understand string tension. :)