Why become a member? ×

Sue Ryder Bass Arrived

tom1946

Well Parcelforce got it to me on their third attempt, and I must say I'm knocked out. There are a couple of flaws in the finish on the back of the body, but other than that, I'm a happy bunny.

It's "navy blue" - which we now know means a lovely translucent dark turquoise - with the maple board. None of the setup problems described by others - action and intonation are pretty good out of the box. Mine has a "QC HS 1" sticker on the back if that's of interest. I even find the much-maligned strings sounding OK, if a little light, so I'll probably go ahead and swap them for the flats I have waiting. I'm most impressed with the tuning machines and the pots - both very smooth, and the kobs are nice and heavy. No noise from the pups, either. Even the gigbag, while not being padded, has double-shoulder straps and an interior strap to secure the top of the neck.

Do I sound impressed? My Fender is still in for its service/MOT so no A/B yet, but Susie is feeling good (neck has a similar chunkiness to the 70s Fender) and sounding good.

So, I got my pickups in and wired up yesterday! (No thanks at all to my AWFUL 25W soldering iron....)

Sounds lovely through my knackered home practice setup, and I love the way it looks with black pickups instead of white ones! Can't wait to gig it! I may be waiting until March though. :)

The pole pieces are much large than the originals (I'd guess at 2x the size), but the pickup covers are a bit smaller, hopefully when I get a new black pickguard this issue will be less noticeable!

One bad point... I dropped a pickguard screw down the back of the cabinet that has my fish tank on. No way am i getting that back! Ah well, i will need more screws for the new pickguard anyway.

Images for your perusal:
[attachment=72255:photo.JPG] [attachment=72257:photo2.JPG]

I'm intrigued to see what the dark blue one looks like with a black PG, was thinking about getting one last night but i don't wanna spend any money on it tbh, mine is going to remain a £60 bass!

I've even kept the stock strings on which on mine were pretty decent sounding. I suspect mine is a return as the bridge was misaligned so it may have better strings on it.

Did some work on mine last night, moved the bridge to the correct place and back a bit (so the saddles aren't right back), it can now be re-drilled for through body stringing but again i don't think i'll bother. It's probably going to live in a cupboard at work for lunch time learning so not much point. Same story with the badly cut nut, prob gonna be like that in 10 years time if the neck holds out!

[quote name='soulboy' post='1128437' date='Feb 15 2011, 03:19 PM']there are two in the window of the Leighton Buzzard branch, one white, one dark blue should anyone be interested. I have managed to resist as I am supposed to be selling gear not aquiring it, besides the Mrs would go bananas![/quote]

A pale blue one went a couple of days ago from the shop, maybe Nick Beggs had it away!

[quote name='apa' post='1125370' date='Feb 12 2011, 08:10 PM']Hmmmm Interesting (Well to me anyway lol) I didnt think they were individually numbered LOL So its probably a batch number.[/quote]
It's an IP address. You is all connected to the internetz lolz.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1127454' date='Feb 14 2011, 07:01 PM']ha! True! on mine the back is indeed nicer... the grain is more clearly visible and the back of the neck is much more interesting to look at than the front :)[/quote]
That just means that whoever made it realises that the person paying most attention to it will be the one that it's got its back to. What's the point in wasting pretty wood on an audience that doesn't look at it? :)

[quote name='tauzero' post='1129659' date='Feb 16 2011, 02:08 PM']It's an IP address. You is all connected to the internetz lolz.[/quote]

Actualy if you google it the first result takes you to a page that gives you your exact home post address so it looks like 'they' know where you are.

I feel a conspiracy theory coming on :) !!

A

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1130690' date='Feb 17 2011, 10:25 AM']Looks like bonfire night will have a few brighter fires this year lol.[/quote]

Just noticed you have a Wizard Thumper on your Precision. I heard very good stuff about that one.
I'm looking for a pickup that will be rich in mids and enhance the growl of my bass... do you think I'll be on teh right track with the Thumper?

Got any clips?

Pssssssssssst :) wanna see Sue Ryder NAKED?? :)

[attachment=72437:bernie_naked1.jpg]
[attachment=72438:bernie_naked2.jpg]

No finish just sanded of front and back faces on a rather course 4foot industrial circular sander!!

Just thought you would like to see whats under that dark blue!

A

[quote name='mcnach' post='1130962' date='Feb 17 2011, 01:18 PM']Just noticed you have a Wizard Thumper on your Precision. I heard very good stuff about that one.
I'm looking for a pickup that will be rich in mids and enhance the growl of my bass... do you think I'll be on teh right track with the Thumper?

Got any clips?[/quote]

Take a look at this Jose. Will blow you away matey................

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKezD7_RZSw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKezD7_RZSw[/url]

A

[quote name='apa' post='1131036' date='Feb 17 2011, 02:09 PM']Pssssssssssst :) wanna see Sue Ryder NAKED?? :)

[attachment=72437:bernie_naked1.jpg]
[attachment=72438:bernie_naked2.jpg]

No finish just sanded of front and back faces on a rather course 4foot industrial circular sander!!

Just thought you would like to see whats under that dark blue!

A[/quote]

pre-tty!

[quote name='icastle' post='1131150' date='Feb 17 2011, 03:20 PM']That's a rather nice looking slab!

For the price I was expecting to see a couple of pieces stuck together...[/quote]

Errr 3 pieces to be precise! lol

A

Edited by apa