Why become a member? ×

4 X 10 Or 2 X 12

fryer

Like must of us here, I have used all different configurations in my time. But I keep on coming back to 2 x 12 cabs. Cant explain why in a few words other than it sounds and feels more natural for my playing style.

What I have found is not all 2 x 12 cabs sound the same, so once you have found your 'ideal' speaker size the nightmare of what make of cab comes along.

After buying and selling many, I decided to have one built by Zilla Cabs using my favourite 12" drivers from Celestion.

This is what makes bass playing fun...............the never ending expense and the continual state of confusion. :)

Edited by voxpop

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1100065' date='Jan 23 2011, 08:25 PM']Box size does make a big difference IMHO plus don't forget 2x12"=24" whereas 4x10"=40". I can't explain why that makes a difference apart from moving a lot more air but having just switched back from 12s to a 4x10 I can tell you it does.

(edit for typo)[/quote]

Unashamedly lifted from Alexs site

Cone area is proportional to diameter squared so 4x10x10=400 whilst 2x15x15=450 so the 2x15 is 50 better. More accurate but still not entirely precise. Why not? Because speaker diameter is merely nominal diameter - basically the approximate size of the frame / baffle hole. The actual size of the cone is less because you have to subtract the frame width and some of the cone surround (the corrugated or rolled fabric bit around the edge of the cone). For one of our 15" woofers the actual cone diameter is 13" whilst for the other it's 13.2". For our 12" woofers it's 10.3" and 10.4". We don't currently use any 10"s but one of the best out there has an actual diameter of 8.3". For nominally 8"s it's about 6.5" whilst for 6" woofers it's about 5". So if we do those sums again we see that two 15"s have equal area to five 10"s, whilst two 12"s matches three 10"s.

And then theres loads more about xmax as well how much the speaker moves

Its really the whole package, the driver, the size, the porting

[quote name='fryer' post='1100039' date='Jan 23 2011, 08:03 PM']....I like the sound of my two 1x12 cabs. But I've just bought an old Peavey 4 x 10, and it's got more bass. The 12's are neo's in small cabs, and the 10's are in a big heavy box....[/quote]
What make are the 12's and what amp are you using?

[quote name='fryer' post='1100039' date='Jan 23 2011, 08:03 PM']I like the sound of my two 1x12 cabs. But I've just bought an old Peavey 4 x 10, and it's got more bass. The 12's are neo's in small cabs, and the 10's are in a big heavy box.

is it the box that makes the difference ?[/quote]

Ported or not is probably the main thing to make a difference. Those Peavey's are monsters, big box, bog port, is the thing for low end. Dinky cabs are generally gonna be made for low expectation of, uh, low.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1100335' date='Jan 24 2011, 12:32 AM']Ported or not is probably the main thing to make a difference. Those Peavey's are monsters, big box, bog port, is the thing for low end. Dinky cabs are generally gonna be made for low expectation of, uh, low.[/quote]

+1 get a 212 Schroeder, and i'm sure it will match that low end.

I find the 12's more open, but each brand and speak varies so much these days.