Why become a member? ×

BFM Omni 15 Tall Boy

gilmour

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='217129' date='Jun 11 2008, 02:31 PM']I agree that bass players use EQ, but their initial stance is usually 'Can I hear it with the EQ flat first?'[/quote] Chances are they never do, since almost no amp around is actually flat. Most have some sort of pre-shaping built in.

[quote]My personal view of EQ is that it is like a car accelerator pedal. If you have it at maximum all the time, then something is wrong[/quote]Quite right. The thing about EQ is that if you're using it correctly you should be cutting as much as you're boosting, and neither cutting nor boosting at anywhere near full capacity.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='217330' date='Jun 12 2008, 01:08 AM']Chances are they never do, since almost no amp around is actually flat. Most have some sort of pre-shaping built in.

Quite right. The thing about EQ is that if you're using it correctly you should be cutting as much as you're boosting, and neither cutting nor boosting at anywhere near full capacity.[/quote]

and then there is the eq on your bass, mine seems pretty hot eq wise and on my current amp needs only very small changes to get a big change on the output. on another cab that may well be different.

personally i dont take the flat response of an amp and cab/combo as thats what the eq and shaping is for imho and only judge it based on "do i like the sound of the whole amp" not just the pre stage.

Edited by lowhand_mike

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='217475' date='Jun 12 2008, 10:42 AM']and then there is the eq on your bass, mine seems pretty hot eq wise and on my current amp needs only very small changes to get a big change on the output. on another cab that may well be different.[/quote]

I think on board Pre amps are a very good point, and probably why most people want a relativley flat EQ on their amp (to acuratley reproduce the sound of the bass). I imagine that using a pre on you bass and again on your amp your are going to wind up with way to much boost of certain frequencies and it will sound really boomy. Different case for passive i suppose...

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='redstriper' post='229403' date='Jun 29 2008, 07:18 PM']I'm intrigued by this cab and wonder if one would suit me.
I only play dub reggae and don't want any treble or upper midrange in my sound - just deep warm bass.
Which of BFM's cabs would be most suited to my sound and desire for lightweight and portability?[/quote]
O15, standard or tallboy, leave the tweeter out. As for lightweight and portability, google 'Hoffman's Iron Law'. Big bottom does not from small cabs come.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='229408' date='Jun 30 2008, 12:35 AM']O15, standard or tallboy, leave the tweeter out. As for lightweight and portability, google 'Hoffman's Iron Law'. Big bottom does not from small cabs come.[/quote]

Finnbass over at www.finnbass.com has built this cab with the omition of the tweeter, you should check it out ([url="http://www.finnbass.com/showthread.php?t=2"]here's the thread[/url]), he's been very happy with the results.

Whils this cab isn't lightweigh it caertainly is lighter than most similar sized cabs, and lighter than my trace 4x10, although it is still quite a big cab once you've played through it you'll want to make the effort to take it around.

Edited by gilmour

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='229408' date='Jun 30 2008, 12:35 AM']O15, standard or tallboy, leave the tweeter out. As for lightweight and portability, google 'Hoffman's Iron Law'. Big bottom does not from small cabs come.[/quote]

Had a feeling that was the case after trying lots of small lightweight cabs with no depth of tone.
Which model, (standard or tallboy) would give the deepest sound and what are the approx. dimensions and weight?

[quote name='gilmour' post='229415' date='Jun 30 2008, 12:52 AM']Finnbass over at www.finnbass.com has built this cab with the omition of the tweeter, you should check it out, he's been very happy with the results.

Whils this cab isn't lightweigh it caertainly is lighter than most similar sized cabs, and lighter than my trace 4x10, although it is still quite a big cab once you've played through it you'll want to make the effort to take it around.[/quote]

Thanks - I'll check it out now........

It's 20" wide and 39" high. Like I say I need to get around to finding some scales to weigh it on, but it's no heavier than a standard 1x15. It's certainly not a struggle to lift (apart from I put my handles to high so it hits me in the shins!)

How about leaving the midrange horn out as well?

I'm only interested in hearing deep bass and have been using a Fane 15" driver in a Trace Elliot combo with all frequencies above 1 khz reduced to - 15 db on the graphic eq.

I'm not big on DIY and like to keep things as simple as possible.

[quote name='redstriper' post='229432' date='Jun 29 2008, 08:53 PM']To clarify my requirements - I'm considering an SWR Big Ben 18" cab - how would the BFM omni without horn and tweeter compare in sound and weight?[/quote]
The O15 goes louder and lower. Not using the midrange driver would be a bad idea, as the woofer rolls off above 500Hz. Attenuating mids as desired with your amps tone controls. If you leave the mid driver out and find the mids lacking you're up the creek.

• 9 years later...

I sold this cab a fair few years ago and can't for the life of me remember who to!

Anyway, I'm thinking of building another one but then thought I'd see if whoever I sold it too is still using it etc.

So if you do have it please get in touch, would love to know how it's getting on TBH.

• 4 years later...

Nice thread, the cab looks great. I agree Bill's cabs sound very clear. I have built three of these interesting range of cabs using a handsaw. A Tuba24, DR250 and more recently one of Bill's simpler designs as my right wrist is damaged these days and can't manage much sawing. The first 2 cabs used a 10" eminence beta speaker which sounded much bigger with the efficient designs. My regret is I never got to gig with these but did sell them to someone on here when my username was billynoband but I cannot remember their name. The most recent one I built uses a old British vintage 12" bass speaker out of a V-amp combo (not a recommended driver lol) and sounds more like a 15 but clean too. It's still a very lightweight cab even with a old driver in. Not had the chance to gig with this yet either. I firmly believe that even the easiest to build and simplest of Bill's designs will sound as good as any comparable commercial cab. Everyone should try building one.