Why become a member? ×

Website Updates

alexclaber

I'm finally updating the site with the new models and rewriting some of the content based on learnings from the last few years. Some of it's a first draft but let me know if you see any typos hiding or if any of my writing simply doesn't make sense!

[url="http://www.barefacedbass.com"]http://www.barefacedbass.com[/url]

The Big one seems very present on the site, and I've only just realised it is no longer offered. Like the product range big has a pic and label of big one, but clicking takes you to big twin, maybe add a 'What happened to the big one' link at the top of there? Or put a 'legacy' banner across the pic.

Adit, also, gah, I wanted the 8ohm Big One to bridge my kilowatt Matamp into. Was literally thinking that my GS412 would cover most of it.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

Hi Alex,

A couple of suggestions on the technical specs. First, it'd be good to know what cut-off you're using to specify LF sensitivity. Second, perhaps putting the broadband specs first would be better so that's the first number people see. That's the one that's more directly comparable to other manufacturers' figures (well, other than the fact that they clearly make them up sometimes!) and you don't want people skimming and mistakenly being put off by the apparently modest numbers. With understanding it's clear that the LF specs are more of a performance limitation in practice, but anyone who knows that will read enough to find those specs whilst those who don't will get a less unfavourable idea of how your cab might perform against the competition.

In a similar vein, looking at 'why barefaced?' page, I have to read a lot before it really answers that question and it does so rather obliquely. Although the history of barefaced is interesting to some why not put it after a very short summary? If I had to bullet it in yukky marketing-blurb style, I'd say:
- very high excursion premium quality drivers for superior bass extension and clarity
- dual density reduced thickness ply with innovative bracing for maximum stiffness but minimum weight
- exceptionally large ports to minimise compression loss at high power
- something about crossovers, if you think yours are genuinely better than the competition (bear in mind that several cabs use 1st order high-pass filters alone!)

Not sure if that's the kind of thing you're after but it's meant in good, constructive spirit!
If you ever did a direct measurement-based comparison with 'classic' cabs like the fridge, then I'm sure that would emphasise some of your points nicely.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1103640' date='Jan 26 2011, 01:50 PM']Not sure what this bullet means:[/quote]

Yes, for some reason the CMS has put bullet points where there should be numbers, so point 1 should correspond to explanation 1, etc. I shall attempt to do something clever whereby when you click on point 1 you get explanation 1 appearing below, like in the FAQ. But that will have to wait...

Very informative, and very well presented :) I'm glad to see other people are like me too - want to know every little detail about something before deciding one way or the other! Plus it will look rather swish when you get the "clicky thing" working (my technical vocabulary leaves a lot to be desired!)

Edited by benh

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1103645' date='Jan 26 2011, 01:54 PM']...for some reason the CMS has put bullet points where there should be numbers, so point 1 should correspond to explanation 1, etc.[/quote]
Alex, the problem was with your main stylesheet in that unordered and ordered lists were both formatted to use a disc bullet — have amended the stylesheet to fix this ...

However the Javascript Collapse/Expand feature (like the FAQ) would take a lot more work! :)