Why become a member? ×

Stage Tuners

flyfisher

I currently use a Korg small GA-40 tuner connected on a short cable to the tuner/line output of my amp. Functionally, this is fine for practice and rehearsals, but it's a bit fiddly for gigs. I have to turn around to check tuning between songs, which I don't really like, and there's no muting during tuning.

So I'm thinking about a floor tuner. Our guitarist has a Boss (I think) chromatic unit which seems to work fine but I don't really like the small display.

I don't know why I hadn't seen it before, but I've just come across the Ashdown BassOmeter: [url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ashdown-bass-ometer--73723"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ashdown-bass-ometer--73723[/url]

This looks pretty rugged and has a nice big display.

Has anyone used one of these units or have any alternative suggestions?

i use a beringer btr2000 ( had to get one seeing as korg stopped making the dtr2000) its rack mountable, i dunno if that suits u. didnt cost too much either and it work really really wel. it works whilst playing, or while the amp is muted, clear read out, and built in metronome.

I own the Boss Tu3, which works really fast and accurate. Before that, i owned the korg Pitchblack but the Boss is better in my oppinion, because i recognized it a little bit faster.
There is also the the TC Polytune..i think they are nearly the same, more an optical preference and just "gusto".

Edited by 73Jazz

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1095734' date='Jan 19 2011, 10:13 PM']Do you find the Polytune easy to read on the floor? It's difficult to tell from the brochure but it looks a bit small to me for all the info it has to display. I like the idea though.[/quote]

I've had no problems reading it,it has a really clear display.

I use an Ibanez LU20: [url="http://www.imuso.co.uk/Accessories/Guitar-Tuners/7471-/Ibanez-LU20-Digital-Chromatic-Guitar-Pedal-Tuner"]http://www.imuso.co.uk/Accessories/Guitar-...tar-Pedal-Tuner[/url]
Bright display, rugged metal body, and cheaper than the Boss I was originally going to buy! Has worked fine for 4 years of solid gigging, worth a look.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1095739' date='Jan 19 2011, 10:16 PM']I've had no problems reading it,it has a really clear display.[/quote]

+1 for the polytune. If you use it in "poly" mode then the details may be harder to read, but if you use it in the traditional mode - tuning one string at a time - then the display is beautifully clear.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it switches between poly and single mode automatically. So if you don't hit the string cleanly then it suddenly switches to poly mode and essentially gives random information. But this is a minor niggle that only causes occasional problems - 99% of the time it's a brilliant tuner.

[quote name='gizmo6789' post='1095586' date='Jan 19 2011, 08:14 PM']i use a beringer btr2000 ( had to get one seeing as korg stopped making the dtr2000) its rack mountable, i dunno if that suits u. didnt cost too much either and it work really really wel. it works whilst playing, or while the amp is muted, clear read out, and built in metronome.[/quote]
I want to buy a rackmounted tuner, korg's are too difficult to come by these days, or trying to buy one is too much hassle/expensive.
I play drop C and read reviews that the BTR2000 doesn't reach that low, am I right?

Btw if anyone else is reading this and knows a quality rack tuner that's cheaper than £100 brand new that can tune drop c easily, reply please :)

and before you say "why now a pedal tuner!?!!?!?!", well I don't really like the idea of a footpedal as I don't use effects, so just having a lone foot switch on stage would get in the way :)

Sorry if this is the wrong thread I should be posting on, I'm new to this malarky!

[quote name='migle20' post='1100186' date='Jan 23 2011, 09:49 PM']I want to buy a rackmounted tuner, korg's are too difficult to come by these days, or trying to buy one is too much hassle/expensive.
I play drop C and read reviews that the BTR2000 doesn't reach that low, am I right?[/quote]

IMO the BTR2000 isn't great. I had one for a while, and it struggled to track to E. I really doubt it will track to a low C.

The Korg rackmount tuners are excellent if you can find one, as are the Fender ones (can't remember what they're called but they crop up on ebay from time to time).

I'm another TC Electronic Polytune convert. I've gotta say it's an excellent tuner - very fast, clear, small, rugged and accurate. And all for less than 70 quid.
Display wise, it even adjusts its own brightness by sensing ambient light levels, so it's always visible but doesn't cane the battery too much.

I previously used a Peterson Strobostomp II, which is an amazing bit of kit and includes a high quality D.I., but it cost £120 and munched batteries. It also died after less than a year. Amazing for doing setups, mind, and it's [b][i]the[/i][/b] fastest and most accurate floor tuner there is, but not as sturdy and compact as the Polytune.

Re the complaint that if you don't hit the note cleanly it doesn't give you useful information, that's the same with any tuner really. In fact I find it quite tolerant, and if you do play a clean note (or 4 or 5 notes) it performs brilliantly and you'll be in tune much quicker than most other tuners.

Another for the TU-2.
If its a reliable compact your after then its hard to beat. Theres 3 display settings. Have a go on your mates and see what you think of the other displays. I use the stream setting which can easily be seen from the far side of a good sized stage. The Korg Pitchblack is also a great buy but the TU-2 takes it on build quality.

I had the Ibanez (see link in benh's post above) which was great, but wouldn't go below B...which was no good, as the band played two steps down, so my 5er had to be tuned to a low A. It also took up a lot of space on my pedalboard, but it was totally solid and reliable. I would recommend it to anyone who plays 4 strings.

I once had the Behringer rack tuner which is rubbish. As mentioned above, it struggles to catch E. A friend borrowed it and I didn't chase him for it back. He still has it. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

I now use a Pitchblack which is fantastic. It easily handles low A, tracks well and has a power output for other pedals. Fully recommended!