Why become a member? ×

Yorkshire Bass Bash 2011,Sunday March 27th 2011 to infinity and beyond

yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='1100912' date='Jan 24 2011, 03:21 PM']The only rule is NO SLAPPING!

Otherwise

A: Just turn up with whatever you wish, set it up and then fend off hords of admirers who want to try your gear/ talk Bass with you

B: Just turn up with no gear and look/try out other's gear

C: Go to Bass Gear Ltd area, try out one of their bespoke US Basses or Mark Bass Amplification and buy it!

BTW details re admission will be posted shortly![/quote]

As a relative newcomer to Bass (attempting to play for just over a year) could you provide more details on the overall raison detre for the Yorkshire Bass Bash?
I would be interested in coming along and generally having a nosey around at lots of lovely basses and perhaps gleaming some pearls of wisdom from you older, more experienced folks.
Is that what the majority of people turn up to do? Or is it more of a showing off their own basses, jamming, chatting?

How many people generally attend?
Are there a number of manufacturer representatives, sellers, etc. or just the Mark Bass amps?

Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers.

[quote name='optimus' post='1129546' date='Feb 16 2011, 12:57 PM']As a relative newcomer to Bass (attempting to play for just over a year) could you provide more details on the overall raison detre for the Yorkshire Bass Bash?
I would be interested in coming along and generally having a nosey around at lots of lovely basses and perhaps gleaming some pearls of wisdom from you older, more experienced folks.
Is that what the majority of people turn up to do? Or is it more of a showing off their own basses, jamming, chatting?

How many people generally attend?
Are there a number of manufacturer representatives, sellers, etc. or just the Mark Bass amps?

Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers.[/quote]

"I would be interested in coming along and generally having a nosey around at lots of lovely basses and pe rhaps gleaming some pearls of wisdom from you older, more experienced folks"

Yes, that is what some people come and do, and there's some occasional jamming, chatting but nothing is prescriptive.
Also there are usually some Bass Manufacturers in attendance: Alan from ACG, Jim Fleeting and Bass Gear will be bringing some of their exotic and not so exotic stock.
Some years we have 40 come along, other years 20.
It's very friendly, non clique(?) and non- judgemental.
You can bring a Bass, or not bring a Bass, ditto amps and cabs, ask questions or just not: it can be whatever you want!
You can ask about different woods, strings etc but as someone here on Basschat says" If you want 5 different answers, ask 2 different Bass Players!"

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1102364' date='Jan 25 2011, 05:01 PM']This no slapping rule is going to hamper one of my key personal objectives - namely, that someone could show me how to do it!

I'm a horrendous slapper (hmm... that came out wrong) so could do with a few tips. How will I ever cut through the noise of a saturday afternoon music shop without some prolific slapping skills?

I'd probably bring my Lakland DJ4 for sport, or the BC Rich custom... I doubt many will have played the latter, so it's a likely companion.[/quote]

Maybe someone could arrange a slappers corner (actually, that didn't come out right either...) or a little shelter outside so all the slappers can be castigated like smokers....

If the wife isn't in labour I'll come along as well.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='1144795' date='Feb 28 2011, 06:53 PM']and your point is....?![/quote]
Huh?! My point is that I've totally screwed up the months of the year in the calendar and convinced myself it was being held this weekend. Gawd knows where that came from......saved me from an embarrassing trip to Harrogate yesterday, spent most of the afternoon tweaking the PA, it had been set up by monkeys with apparent hearing deficiencies.

Need to check the diary, clear it with She Who Must Be Obeyed and arrange with her my penance for attending, but so long as I'm not made to clean the hall carpet with my tongue more than twice it should be okay.

If I attend, I'll bring up a collection of ACGs and possibly my Ric 4003 Blue Boy.

Dear Yorkshire ( and beyond) Bass Chatters)

We are now at the stage where we need some firm commitment from you for the Yorkshire Bass Bash on Sunday March 27th in Harrogate, 12.00-4.00 pm.

We need a minimum of 20 people paying £10 in advance in order to commission the collectors item "Yorkshire Bass Bash Tee-Shirt" with your avatar name on the reverse ( rather like a list of Tour Dates)!
You also receive one free raffle entry as well, although we expect you will buy more tickets anyway!

The deadline for advance payment, via PayPal is 10.00am Monday 21st March

Those who don't pay in advance, but on the door and day will still get the 1 Free Raffle entry but miss out on the Tee-Shirt

This is an absolute bargain for £10, as anything monies left over after the room hire will go to a musical Charity, and as I have said before, in previous years no-one has left without some kind of decent raffle prize.

Hartke and Mark Bass have already confirmed raffle prizes and ACG and Jon Shuker have said they will attend.

Here's the Hartke Prize worth £85!

[attachment=75045:__Hartke...0__image.jpg]

Details of my PayPal account will be sent via PM upon receipt of your PM with your Tee-shirt size!

Sorry for the short notice, but remember I need your commitment and TShirt size on a PM to me before Monday 10.00am for this to work!

If we don't get the 20 minimum to make this work with the t shirts,then any advance payments will go towards your door entry and Raffle ticket

Edited by yorks5stringer