Why become a member? ×

Reggae - How Do I Play ?

fryer

Books won't help. You've got to listen to as much of the real thing as you can. Reggae is the simplest music to play but the most difficult to get right because it doesn't rely on technique just feel.

I thought I could play Reggae until I played with a Jamaican drummer. He didn't waste time letting me know that I wasn't cutting it!

Just work through Reggae on Youtube: Denis Brown, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh are great. Toots & The Maytals - Pressure drop is a good one to start with.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1091158' date='Jan 16 2011, 10:30 AM']Reggae is the simplest music to play but the most difficult to get right because it doesn't rely on technique just feel.[/quote]

plus the one.

roots and fifths is the key...simple melodic runs and [i]listen to the beat[/i]

[quote name='fryer' post='1091130' date='Jan 16 2011, 10:03 AM']I may have a chance to tour with my mate's reggae band, in JAMAICA.[/quote]

I find whenever i tell people that i "may have a chance" to do something, that usually it never comes off. Also I tried playing a type of music that I didn't like for opportunities' sake. Didn't really work out.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1091158' date='Jan 16 2011, 10:30 AM']Books won't help. You've got to listen to as much of the real thing as you can.[/quote]

+1 It's all about feel. The album 'Marcus Garvey' by Burning Spear is a superb masterclass in reggae rhythm sections

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='galore' post='1091226' date='Jan 16 2011, 11:48 AM']You have to get some of the best sweet Mary money can buy and smoke at least 4 jints. When you're close to this:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUZa0W7s_Pg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUZa0W7s_Pg[/url]

you're good to play some reggae :)[/quote]

That's the sort of guide I need. That laugh !!

[quote name='headofire' post='1091274' date='Jan 16 2011, 12:35 PM']You might want a bullet proof vest too fella.... :)

learn bank robber by the clash... white boy reggae is the place to start if your coming from rock.
Learn the real stuff tho, get some scratch perry in, early sly and robbie, or the wailers live at the rainbow album. All good introductions to the one drop.

One drop btw is following the bass drum which is usually on the 2 and 4 beats (simplified obviously) where it would normally be on the 1 and 3 in rock and roll.
Stick on no woman no cry from live at the rainbow. Have a really good listen to whats happening between the bass drum and what Fams plays on the bass. You should float over the groove, note placement is everything!

good luck![/quote]

Now that is useful info. Is it always off beat, ie, 2 & 4 ?

Sly - do you mean Sly & the family stone ? Their stuff is really difficult ( and brilliant ) on say 'if you want me to stay' ?

[quote name='redstriper' post='1091322' date='Jan 16 2011, 01:14 PM']What is the name of the band, are they on myspace ?[/quote]

Hi Mr Striper, the're the Wisdom Band. Not sure about my space, but they have a website - thewisdomband.com