Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball Musicman Gamechanger now a reality

Musicman20

[quote name='silddx' post='1093273' date='Jan 17 2011, 11:02 PM']What they should do is licence this technology out. Then we don't have to play one of those horrible MusicMan basses. We can have any kind of bass we want, ANYTHING! A bass that looks COOL! Made out of anything, and dial in the sounds we want. No more pissing about, and no arguments about a P Bass sounding like Guinness and a Jass Bass like bloody lager and lime.[/quote]

Yes, they should, it'd be good.

Seems like a solution to an unknown problem to me. I'm racking my brains as to why you would need this... So far the reasons for getting this are -

1. Because you can - bragging rights?

But seriously, the only thing I can think of where it may come in useful is if you have recorded a track in a studio and need to do a punch in or edit at a later date. This system would allow you to recall the exact settings.

To be honest though, I would hope that you know your bass to the extent where you can pull out the sounds you need with a few instinctive twiddles on the fly...

Out of all the combinations that are bragged, how many of those can you really hear the difference?

Certainly one I would like to try out for myself at least!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1093470' date='Jan 18 2011, 08:54 AM']Seems like a solution to an unknown problem to me. I'm racking my brains as to why you would need this... So far the reasons for getting this are -

1. Because you can - bragging rights?

But seriously, the only thing I can think of where it may come in useful is if you have recorded a track in a studio and need to do a punch in or edit at a later date. This system would allow you to recall the exact settings.

To be honest though, I would hope that you know your bass to the extent where you can pull out the sounds you need with a few instinctive twiddles on the fly...

Out of all the combinations that are bragged, how many of those can you really hear the difference?

Certainly one I would like to try out for myself at least![/quote]

Well, one of the things is that, short of re-wiring your bass, do you know every tone that it has in there anyway?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1089757' date='Jan 14 2011, 11:44 AM']Definitely dont want to start any kind of 'he does this' type of argument, but im sided with EBMM instruments and theyve changed my perception of how high quality things can be without going totally custom (and paying less).

But, what I will say is when Ive emailed Sadowsky, the responses were less than 'satisfactory'/helpful, in fact they were almost rude and arrogant.

Every single email to S&T UK or Ernie Ball Musicman USA have been very helpful.[/quote]
You said you don't want to start a he does this argument and then went into calling Sadowsky rude and arrogant. This is my general impression of the EBMM fanboys lack of ironic perception.

[quote name='jimmyb625' post='1090079' date='Jan 14 2011, 05:35 PM']I'd think both Morse and La Rue would have more integrity than to rave about something they didn't think was a worthy product.[/quote]
That's the whole point of paid testimonials. They're buying that faith and applying it to the product. It works almost all the time. It's like believing cops won't lie in a courtroom or in another sense why guys won't give criticism to girls they're trying to have sex with.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1090511' date='Jan 15 2011, 07:12 AM']The seem to have overlooked the humble blend pot, which might also offer a gajillion other tonal change possibilities.[/quote]
Infinite possibilites, as many changes as YOU can hear to help YOU get YOUR personal tone. From Jaco to Marcus to JPJ and everything in between all at YOUR fingertips in amounts YOU decide. If YOU've spent the years to get YOUR tone YOU deserve the finest blend pot YOU can buy. YOUR audience can hear the difference, can YOU? Buy something that makes YOU better than those other losers and buy it now or YOU're a loser too.

(the sarcasm above contains clues to the marketing concepts at play here)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1090878' date='Jan 15 2011, 01:14 PM']Its a fun way way of playing with your tone.[/quote]
That would be a refreshingly honest way way to market this :)

It's probably also really good for figuring out what different things like series and parallel sound like, and learn about pickup placement in relations ship to the strings and other coils.

[quote name='jimmyb625' post='1090926' date='Jan 15 2011, 02:14 PM']One thing I think would be quite cool, would be to split each coil into two, so you could get a sort of pseudo P-Bass configuration. in various body positions.

Bugger, should have patented that before suggesting it![/quote]
Bartolini has been selling that for 30 years or more :) Got a set in my 6 string, you can hear the difference as you flick the switch other than that it's useless.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1094731' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:44 AM']That's the whole point of paid testimonials. They're buying that faith and applying it to the product. It works almost all the time. It's like believing cops won't lie in a courtroom or in another sense why guys won't give criticism to girls they're trying to have sex with.[/quote]

Ok, so you think everyone who has gone on record and said good things about it has only done so because they're being paid?

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1094738' date='Jan 19 2011, 03:23 AM']Series, parallel and...[/quote]

Series 1&2, series 2&1, parallel, coil 1, coil 2 with combinations of each coil forward and reverse phase.

[quote name='jimmyb625' post='1094862' date='Jan 19 2011, 10:10 AM']Series 1&2, series 2&1, parallel, [b]coil 1, coil 2[/b]...[/quote]
As in soloed coils? Surely on a split-pickup P, if you solo a coil you'll effectively be switching off 2 strings?

Could be useful for punk bassists, I suppose.

*dons tin hat to protect from the incoming black/black/maple Precisions*

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1094867' date='Jan 19 2011, 10:14 AM']As in soloed coils? Surely on a split-pickup P, if you solo a coil you'll effectively be switching off 2 strings?

Could be useful for punk bassists, I suppose.

*dons tin hat to protect from the incoming black/black/maple Precisions*[/quote]

Have you heard the way I play???

Just because it's possible, doesn't mean it'll sound good, in fact I'm pretty sure that in the full scale GC there will be a fair few combinations that don't sound so hot.

[quote name='jimmyb625' post='1094862' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:10 AM']Ok, so you think everyone who has gone on record and said good things about it has only done so because they're being paid?[/quote]Everyone in those videos has. Your statement is a bit confusing as it has a ? on the end.

Why do so many musicians think businessmen would never do things to them that all the other businessmen do?