Why become a member? ×

SBMM Ray34CA (Classic Active)

dave_bass5

[quote name='lee650' post='1093366' date='Jan 18 2011, 12:36 AM']i went on their website and it showed them in both colours, anyone have any idea howmuch these are going to be, i think ill have to buy one of each and swap the necks round, and poss defet the RW one, mint green with a maple neck i have to have one (£1600 for the proper one is never going to happen for me) mind you if your going to need to get a nordstrand(fantastic by the way, my old sterling had one) and an east you may as well buy a full on ray classic.!![/quote]

+1 the wrong necks are on both colours. sunburst/rosewood is a nice combo,just not my thing but mint green with a tinted maple neck definitely is. I wonder if a shop that had stock of both would swap them out?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1094160' date='Jan 18 2011, 06:09 PM']It's still funny to me that bobbass won't change the pup for a nordy and will stick to the stock one which as far as I can see shares as little with a real ray one as it does a nordstrand? I don't see why it can't have a full fat EB pup and 2 band preamp they aren't that cheap really are they or do we think it would be too good and too close to a real one?[/quote]

I've heard samples of a real MM with a nordy pickup and there's something about the mids that I dont like. The mids on a proper stingray are really delicate and I think the nordy makes it sound too much like the bridge pickup on a J, all be it a little beefier.

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='1093347' date='Jan 18 2011, 12:12 AM']Still think they should have doen a fretless[/quote]

Yep, this has really pissed me off. Been asking for one on the EB forum as have others and not a response from EB. They don't really seem to care or be interested. Go on the Warwick forum and at least they talk to you.

I suppose the proof will be in the pudding, We could discuss it forever but until we have tried one its all hot air. I'm not sure and to be honest the proper classic has the features most people wanted to get rid of when ernie took over anyway are a lot more toppy than a real pre too, You can cut it back a bit but it's still there compared to the real deal.

[quote name='wahit' post='1093623' date='Jan 18 2011, 12:01 PM']Hey guys, tell me... what are the differences between these Sterlings by Musicman Stingrays and the MusicMan Stingrays?!

I mean, the price of one is the double of the other. But what about sound wise?! Is the SBMM Stingray tone somewhere near the "original" Stingray!?

One more thing! What is the best (cheapest) online store to buy these? I mean, the "original" Stingray costs over 1800 euros and these SBMM Stingrays cost over 1000 euros. Way more than a Fender American Precision or Jazz bass here in Portugal.

Speak out please! :) I love Stingrays, but I don't want to spend a bunch of cash on a new one again... :)

Cheers![/quote]

you can get'm from soundslive or dv247 or absolute music for around 700€ including shipping, significantly cheaper than on the continent!, that's how I did it! saved me around 300€ and I got a new one :lol:

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1096854' date='Jan 20 2011, 09:34 PM']The SBMM website has now been updated with the new models.

[url="http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/ray34ca"]Ray34 CA[/url][/quote]

damn you, that green one looks sooooo tasty.
Like someone else said... one almost feels like buying both to swap the necks over. Yum, surf green and maple.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1097443' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:14 PM']Well im definitely getting the Sunburst but not sure if i prefer the maple or RW neck, so you never know ;-)[/quote]

If you get the sunburst and want a rw board... do announce it here, I'd be even more tempted for the green one if I knew I could get a maple board to swap :)

(I forgot to add: if I bought, I'd buy used, I don't feel like paying £600 for a Ray34 represents a good investment)

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' post='1097464' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:24 PM']If you get the sunburst and want a rw board... do announce it here, I'd be even more tempted for the green one if I knew I could get a maple board to swap :)[/quote]

This is tempting.......

[quote name='mcnach' post='1097464' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:24 PM']If you get the sunburst and want a rw board... do announce it here, I'd be even more tempted for the green one if I knew I could get a maple board to swap :)

(I forgot to add: if I bought, I'd buy used, I don't feel like paying £600 for a Ray34 represents a good investment)[/quote]

Hmmm, considering the amount (or lack of) second hand Ray34's that have been on here i think you will have a very long wait to pickup a secondhand classic.

I would be up for a swap if i didnt like the maple, but im hoping i will.

Changed my mind... the narrow nut makes it a no-goer for me. Ever.

It sure looks pretty and I'd consider modifying the electronics to get it to "Stingrayness" if one day I found one used and at a good price... but narrow necks are not for me.

Still, it's not like I need more basses, and if I want to play around with modifications... I have 3 OLPs, two of which are still passive and asking for attention :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1102540' date='Jan 25 2011, 06:48 PM']Anyone know when 'n where these are/will be available?[/quote]

I e-mailed Darren at the bass merchant a few days and he said they where now in stock and could be had in a few days.

the bad part? £745...

[quote name='MythSte' post='1149506' date='Mar 4 2011, 02:45 PM']I e-mailed Darren at the bass merchant a few days and he said they where now in stock and could be had in a few days.

the bad part? £745...[/quote]

£745...hmm, compared to a normal EBMM Classic thats almost £1000 cheaper...so not toooo bad.

Hmmm. Ive just checked the Soundslive website and they are doing the old Ray34 for almost £80 less than the Bass merchant.
Considering the CA is supposed to cost almost the same as the older model i think we will see it cheaper once it becomes more readily available.

The question is can i wait that long lol.

I must admit to wandering in to the "real" MM Classic section and did like the look of some of those but with the wider neck and higher price tag i know what ill be getting.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1149544' date='Mar 4 2011, 03:17 PM']£745...hmm, compared to a normal EBMM Classic thats almost £1000 cheaper...so not toooo bad.[/quote]

Thatnkyou for giving me a good way of justfying it!! Haha. I'm very close to putting my order in with darren. I might even be super cheeky and make an "alteration" to the headstock! :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1149561' date='Mar 4 2011, 03:32 PM']Hmmm. Ive just checked the Soundslive website and they are doing the old Ray34 for almost £80 less than the Bass merchant.
Considering the CA is supposed to cost almost the same as the older model i think we will see it cheaper once it becomes more readily available.

The question is can i wait that long lol.

I must admit to wandering in to the "real" MM Classic section and did like the look of some of those but with the wider neck and higher price tag i know what ill be getting.[/quote]

If I do manage to get the readies together I might ask darren if he could get it to the bass guitar show in london next weekend dave, if your going down your welcome to spend some time with it :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1149613' date='Mar 4 2011, 04:12 PM']Super jealous of the London Bass Show. I was 100% going, then I realised I just don't have the spare money and time at the moment. Meh! Enjoy! :)[/quote]

Don't worry, its looking like I'm going to have to wear my basschat tee, the less people that see that the better! :)