Why become a member? ×

SBMM Ray34CA (Classic Active)

dave_bass5

I have a very moddified jazz and to me and many others to be fair it's held it's own in some mouth watering company and I really mean as good as it gets but maybe that's only in it's own right? If you were a die hard passive original Fender fan you wouldn't like it. I doubt it though as it's feckin ace and cost me less than £400 with a few friends in the right places so maybe I'm not a bass snob after all, just an MM snob! :) that's a point while I'm in full pedant troll mode EBMM and MM are not the same in fact they are more different as a company than SBMM are to EBMM, that's a whole fresh can of worms for the thread sorry! Ha

[quote name='lee650' post='1083064' date='Jan 9 2011, 12:30 PM']And they do it in mint green too fantastic, ive been lusting after a MG classic ray since they came out, but alas nearly 2k is not going to be available to me anytime soon !! so the ray34ca might be a viable option, a shame the green one doesnt have a maple board though i really would be foaming at the mouth!!! HA HA geddit foaming!!![/quote]

+1 to this....These do look really good. How do you know they are doing them in mint green???

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1085878' date='Jan 11 2011, 06:33 PM']If you had an Audi would you buy a skoda?[/quote]
I bought a Skoda Octavia over an A4 because, although the same chassis, the Octavia had more more boot space. Plus not everone thought I was knob for driving an Audi (thanks for ruining Audis as well as BMWs Mr Clarkson). :)

Anyway back on topic.................

That Classic looks sweet.

FWIW I prefer the neck on my rosewood Ray34 over the neck on my old US maple necked Ray. Is the offshore as well built as the US? No. Is the hardware as good? No (although I do prefer the tone of the offshore 3 band pre amp over the US). But new it is significantly cheaper than a new US model and 2nd hand they're a steal. It's a way for punters to buy into the brand and, like it or not, some folks are more than happy with their cheaper instrument as it does what they want and does it well. This in no way is meant to undermine the owners of the US built beauties or the US instruments themselves.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1086962' date='Jan 12 2011, 05:38 PM']Octavias are the same chassis as the Golf and A3 not the A4! I'm a pedant. :) but just confirms my statement in another thread that you need to know exactly what your buying in life and with a US Ray the guess work is taken out.[/quote]

The reason I'd choose the Ray34 over a "real" stingray is more one of value than quality. I've played 3 now and they've all blown me away and sounded exactly like I hear a stingray. If money was no object I'd buy the better quality bass, which I have no doubt is the US Stingray - the difference in price between the two just doesn't seem to reflect the difference in Quality and I think that's why people like them so much (IMO).

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1086962' date='Jan 12 2011, 05:38 PM']Octavias are the same chassis as the Golf and A3 not the A4! I'm a pedant. :) but just confirms my statement in another thread that you need to know exactly what your buying in life and with a US Ray the guess work is taken out.[/quote]
Really? Because the Octavia is waaay bigger then either the A3 or the Golf. Anyway enough of this off topic malarkey.

One thing I will say about the SBMM instruments is that I don't like the matching headstocks (I've got a black one so it's not so bad in my eyes) which makes the classic more appealing to my baby blues (actually they're brown but that just didn't soind right :) ).

[quote name='ezbass' post='1087202' date='Jan 12 2011, 08:48 PM']Really? Because the Octavia is waaay bigger then either the A3 or the Golf. Anyway enough of this off topic malarkey.[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0koda_Octavia"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0koda_Octavia[/url]

We did the car size thing the other day the Golf was largest in it's class as it's the same length as the octavia,focus,astra etc but squarer, but we also were told BMW litres are bigger than all others, lol

OT someone said the other way and wanted the matched headstock and that's why they had it over the USA, obviously my response went along the lines of , different body, neck , tuners, pg, pup, preamp and no case in exchange for a headstock!

[quote name='MythSte' post='1086978' date='Jan 12 2011, 05:55 PM']The reason I'd choose the Ray34 over a "real" stingray is more one of value than quality. I've played 3 now and they've all blown me away and sounded exactly like I hear a stingray. If money was no object I'd buy the better quality bass, which I have no doubt is the US Stingray - the difference in price between the two just doesn't seem to reflect the difference in Quality and I think that's why people like them so much (IMO).[/quote]

Do try them in circumstances as close as the life they'll see. If you play only at home, at moderate volume, find an amp that sounds like your own at home. If you mostly record with headphones, bring your favourite headphone amp. If you play in a band, rehearsing loudish and playing live, try to reproduce that situation if you can (ideally you'd find a bass you can borrow for a day or two, but that may not happen unless you're well known at the music store, and even then... although amplifiers they're more relaxed about and they let me try out my RH450 that way, but I digress).

The reason I say this is because I was a ferocious advocate of OLP basses. I own three, one fretless, and for a while my favourite bass was one of the OLPs with SD pickup and 3-band preamp. It sounded and felt great. I tried Stingrays in shops and they felt great, and were obviously better quality with regards to build etc... but they didn't sound substantially better than my OLP, if at all.

Until I found one Stingray that caught my eye and decided to give it more attention. At home it wasn't an obvious winner... and then I had a loud rehearsal with it. NOW there was a clear difference. The presence, punch... was definitely different. With the OLP I had to tweak the preamp etc, every time, in every room. With the Stingray it's always incredibly easy to find a good tone with lots of body that cuts through and sits well within the band, and I play in 3 different sounding bands now: no problem.

I saw the light and had to eat my words, as some people around here may remember :)

The OLP is still a great bass, and I love it. I often play it at home... But the Stingray is the one I take everywhere.
Believe me, if I hadn't heard a big difference I would have not kept the Stingray and I'd still be here posting threads about my beloved OLPs every other day!
But that difference, I failed to notice it playing by myself at moderate volumes in a guitar shop and even at home. It only became *amazing* when playing with a band.

The latest SBMM catalogue is out, here is the Classic page.
These are the details for the Classic.

The Ray34 Classic Active Series features: Old school flavour, cool retro colors, re-designed 2-band classic active preamp and pickup. Lightweight slab ash body (no belly or forearm contours) available in 2 new finishes — classic Mint Green and old school 3 Tone Sunburst.
All Ray34 CA basses feature a narrow
38 mm nut width for greater playing comfort. Hard glossy amber tinted neck finish rounds out the classic old school look!
Lightweight Ash body
Slab body styling
(no forearm & belly contours)
Glossy tinted neck finish
Narrow 38 mm nut width
Classic style 2-band active preamp,
w/bass, treble and volume controls
Re-designed Classic StingRay pickup
Rosewood fingerboard (MG), Maple fingerboard (3TS)
Mint Green (MG) & 3 Tone Sunburst

There is also a White/RW limited edition Ray34 (for this year only) and a left hand Ray34 in 3TSB.

[attachment=69176:sterling2011.pdf]

Edited by dave_bass5

The only thing that worries me is the "re designed" preamp and pup which says to me cheap made in china. There made from cheap components anyway in the grand scheme of things and the thing that attracted me to a possible Ray5 classic was the chance to get my pre EB tone on a five for a bargain price, this now appears not as straight forward as it first looked?

[quote name='TommyK' post='1086862' date='Jan 12 2011, 04:15 PM']+1 to this....These do look really good. How do you know they are doing them in mint green???[/quote]

i went on their website and it showed them in both colours, anyone have any idea howmuch these are going to be, i think ill have to buy one of each and swap the necks round, and poss defet the RW one, mint green with a maple neck i have to have one (£1600 for the proper one is never going to happen for me) mind you if your going to need to get a nordstrand(fantastic by the way, my old sterling had one) and an east you may as well buy a full on ray classic.!!

Over on talkbass someone posted the estimated price and it's about the same as the current Ray34, maybe about £50 higher but I guess it depends on where you get it from.

I put a Nordstrand in my old Ray34 and while it's a nice pup I felt it took some of the character away so this time I'm sticking to the stock pup.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1093450' date='Jan 18 2011, 08:10 AM']Over on talkbass someone posted the estimated price and it's about the same as the current Ray34, maybe about £50 higher but I guess it depends on where you get it from.

I put a Nordstrand in my old Ray34 and while it's a nice pup I felt it took some of the character away so this time I'm sticking to the stock pup.[/quote]

I don't see it being any much more expensive than the current ray34.

Or is a case it of less is more?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1086985' date='Jan 12 2011, 06:05 PM']Sometimes you just have to spoil yourself though Mythste![/quote]

One day! For now try telling that to my student loan...

Mcnach;

I see where you're coming from and your right, Untill I try a "real" Ray in all situations I'm at a loss to really compare. But I do however think the Ray34 is a completely different instrument to the OLP's and much more comparable to the SUB series and in turn much more comparable to the real deal. I used to have an OLP 5 string and it had the suggestion of a stingray tone about it but wasn't quite committed enough!

Hey guys, tell me... what are the differences between these Sterlings by Musicman Stingrays and the MusicMan Stingrays?!

I mean, the price of one is the double of the other. But what about sound wise?! Is the SBMM Stingray tone somewhere near the "original" Stingray!?

One more thing! What is the best (cheapest) online store to buy these? I mean, the "original" Stingray costs over 1800 euros and these SBMM Stingrays cost over 1000 euros. Way more than a Fender American Precision or Jazz bass here in Portugal.

Speak out please! :) I love Stingrays, but I don't want to spend a bunch of cash on a new one again... :)

Cheers!

[quote name='wahit' post='1093623' date='Jan 18 2011, 11:01 AM']Hey guys, tell me... what are the differences between these Sterlings by Musicman Stingrays and the MusicMan Stingrays?!

I mean, the price of one is the double of the other. But what about sound wise?! Is the SBMM Stingray tone somewhere near the "original" Stingray!?

One more thing! What is the best (cheapest) online store to buy these? I mean, the "original" Stingray costs over 1800 euros and these SBMM Stingrays cost over 1000 euros. Way more than a Fender American Precision or Jazz bass here in Portugal.

Speak out please! :) I love Stingrays, but I don't want to spend a bunch of cash on a new one again... :)

Cheers![/quote]

It might be worth your while reading this thread in its entirety my friend! there are a lot of people answering that very question in various ways! :lol:

It's still funny to me that bobbass won't change the pup for a nordy and will stick to the stock one which as far as I can see shares as little with a real ray one as it does a nordstrand? I don't see why it can't have a full fat EB pup and 2 band preamp they aren't that cheap really are they or do we think it would be too good and too close to a real one?

I just liked the tone of the stock pup over the Nordy. In fact I've not had a nordy that I did like. To
My ears they sound a bit too bland.
Im not saying the SBMM pups are identical to the real deal, but I did like the tone it produced and that's all that mattress really. If I can get a good playable and good sounding bass without breaking the bank so much the better.

Edited by dave_bass5