Why become a member? ×

SBMM Ray34CA (Classic Active)

dave_bass5

I'm definately interested in a Ray 34. It's a great bass for £400 less than i can get a Stingray 2eq new.
I don't care what the resale value is as i play my basses , not keep them for a bit and sell them. I also want to buy a new bass not a second hand one so these are great value.
Sure they may not be quite the same as a true Musicman but are they £400 worse in sound and quality ? I don't think so.
I'm not bothered what name is on the headstock either , if it sounds and feels right to me then thats good enough i say !

Edited by skychaserhigh

[quote name='skychaserhigh' post='1083903' date='Jan 10 2011, 08:40 AM']I'm definately interested in a Ray 34. It's a great bass for £400 less than i can get a Stingray 2eq new.
I don't care what the resale value is as i play my basses , not keep them for a bit and sell them. I also want to buy a new bass not a second hand one so these are great value.
Sure they may not be quite the same as a true Musicman but are they £400 worse in sound and quality ? I don't think so.
I'm not bothered what name is on the headstock either , if it sounds and feels right to me then thats good enough i say ![/quote]

My thinking exactly, although i do tend to sell my basses after a while for some reason. I dont plan to when i buy them.
Im definitely not against buying second hand, but i do lie the idea of buying exactly what i want, when i want, and buying new normally means i get a choice.

Edited by dave_bass5

The SUBs are Poplar and the SBMMs are Swamp Ash.

Theres lots of grain in the swamp ash, its also softer than the standard Ash used for EBMM. Not sure if anyone has seen a stripped body of a SUB? Right mess under that half inch finish!!

Ofcourse, every wood is different regardless.

String mutes? Hmmm, it would definitely would give it that Classic feel, but thats just a way of cutting back costs. Same as the lighter tuners, cheaper electronics and general build quality. But still these SBMM feel as solid as any SR ive played. Ofcourse you can always mod it and make it more Classic Ray sounding than it is. Nordstrand Pup and East Pre anyone?

For the money, vs the standard EB Stingray this is a cracker. Purely because of the neck. Just as the SUB 5s are sought after because the scratchplate and controls are that of a SR4.

Edited by pandathe3

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1083644' date='Jan 9 2011, 09:40 PM']And if i remember correctly Gareth (Musicman20) had to send his back due to a very poor neck heal/joint. Not good for a bass costing that much.[/quote]

Correct. Massive shame as the neck tint and colours are just beautiful.

I never even plugged it in as I knew Id love the tone straight away.

I was going to opt for a replacement, perhaps in another colour, but Ive got a very nice and light 2 band EQ Standard Ray instead and it sounds brilliant!

I still GAS for a Classic, but this time id 100% go for Mint Green or Coral Red. Although, personally I like the contours and modern upgrades.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1084325' date='Jan 10 2011, 03:11 PM']I hear there isn't much between these and the top dollar Stingrays. I'd like to try a couple and see if thats true! It wouldn't surprise me after seein how good the Squier Classic Vibe jazz bass is![/quote]
Are you trying to give Pete an embolism... or have you just not read this through. :)

I'm happy with all my real ones guys. I have 2 and 3 EQ covered 4 and 5 strings , muted and none muted bridges, slab and Contoured bodies and spanning 28 years of production. I know after playing lots of Rays the ones I have if set up to whoevers liking would be better than any copy versions on all counts. I'm very lucky to have them so please don't think I'm a show off but I don't have (many) vices and work/play to buy them so what should I do sell them all and buy a 35? Why should I there great! (Tony the tiger reference :))

As you were, what do I know about rays anyway? I'm always being told what's better for half the price. Maybe I'm just a bass snob , so what?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1084518' date='Jan 10 2011, 05:37 PM']I'm happy with all my real ones guys. I have 2 and 3 EQ covered 4 and 5 strings , muted and none muted bridges, slab and Contoured bodies and spanning 28 years of production. I know after playing lots of Rays the ones I have if set up to whoevers liking would be better than any copy versions on all counts. I'm very lucky to have them so please don't think I'm a show off but I don't have (many) vices and work/play to buy them so what should I do sell them all and buy a 35? Why should I there great! (Tony the tiger reference :))

As you were, what do I know about rays anyway? I'm always being told what's better for half the price. Maybe I'm just a bass snob , so what?[/quote]

I have an OLP and... blah blah blah :lol: :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1084518' date='Jan 10 2011, 05:37 PM']I know after playing lots of Rays the ones I have if set up to whoevers liking would be better than any copy versions on all counts.[/quote]

I can believe that, but am i right to assume that you have played some that aren't as good as yours? If so then couldn't that explain why some people like the SBMM's better that some MM SR's?

Just a thought. Im not questioning your basses or how you feel about them, just like i wouldnt question someone else's views without actually playing the basses in question.

Edited by dave_bass5

In truth Dave the answer is no. I have never found a dog of an EB nor a peach of a sub/olp/sterling etc. I'm sure there out there but the cheaper versions have always lacked something. A lot of people swap there gear all the time and buying new all those bits add up and at some point you may as well bite the bullet. When I bought the 02 brand new there wasn't a cheaper version comparable and all the Rays where perfect so it was simply a colour choice for me and a big treat to myself at the time too. I have cheaper version of other basses but once you have had the real thing of one brand the little differences add up. If you had £50 bass and upgraded to a sterling it would be a bigger step up than the step between a sterling and an EB for sure. If you had an Audi would you buy a skoda? I would as a second car or in this case backup bass , but not for the MD of the company! Is that a reasonably fair answer?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1085878' date='Jan 11 2011, 06:33 PM']In truth Dave the answer is no. I have never found a dog of an EB nor a peach of a sub/olp/sterling etc. I'm sure there out there but the cheaper versions have always lacked something. A lot of people swap there gear all the time and buying new all those bits add up and at some point you may as well bite the bullet. When I bought the 02 brand new there wasn't a cheaper version comparable and all the Rays where perfect so it was simply a colour choice for me and a big treat to myself at the time too. I have cheaper version of other basses but once you have had the real thing of one brand the little differences add up. If you had £50 bass and upgraded to a sterling it would be a bigger step up than the step between a sterling and an EB for sure. If you had an Audi would you buy a skoda? I would as a second car or in this case backup bass , but not for the MD of the company! Is that a reasonably fair answer?[/quote]

Yeah, thats a fair and honest answer. I will say after having some MIA's i do actually prefer my CV P and HW-one. These too are cheaper versions of the real deal and although it wouldn't make sense to everyone there are reasons why i prefer the cheaper versions, and this is how i see the SBMM/MM debate.