Why become a member? ×

Status S2 5 string bass - how do they compare with a Kingbass ?

Soliloquy

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1080617' date='Jan 7 2011, 12:00 AM']I briefly had an S2 classic, found it very heavy and the strings are set right at the edge of the fingerboard on the 5 strings, too close for me. They have 18mm string spacing at the bridge and most Kingbasses I've seen use the very narrow spacing so that's a big difference.[/quote]

I have quite bad back problems and I've never had trouble with it. If I can come out of hospital and a week later do 3 45 mins sets with it, it's good enough!

The bridge on the is adjustable. Just ask OutToPlayJazz

I quickly tried a few Kingbasses at a recent Statii.com meet up, I got the impression they have a slightly snappier tone than my S2 Classics. I didn't get on with the Kingbass body shape either, the S2s feel a lot better on a strap.

Pretty sure the neck profile is very similar although if it's a headed S2 5 string it'll have the 34 3/4" scale length, beadless have 34" and Kingbasses with bendwells have 32".

The S2 Classic just seems to fit me perfectly and feels great to play, it's a very versatile bass and I think there's a good chance you'll like it.

The basic differences between the S2 & KingBass are the body shape/geometry & pickup placement. The KingBass tends to be a little boomier overall & the shorter body makes for some interesting playing positions (places the bass further to your right hand side.) The 32" scale KB's tend to take a little getting used to, as all the notes have moved significantly closer to you! The only problem I had with my two KingBasses was that being slightly on the rotund side, I found the neck angling away from me. The S2 would be my personal choice.

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='1081375' date='Jan 7 2011, 06:20 PM']The basic differences between the S2 & KingBass are the body shape/geometry & pickup placement. The KingBass tends to be a little boomier overall & the shorter body makes for some interesting playing positions (places the bass further to your right hand side.) The 32" scale KB's tend to take a little getting used to, as all the notes have moved significantly closer to you! The only problem I had with my two KingBasses was that being slightly on the rotund side, I found the neck angling away from me. The S2 would be my personal choice.

Rich.[/quote]

Thanks for all of your replies :).

You've not experienced the strings being too close to the edge of the fretboard ? I've never come across anyone else saying this personally.

Here's what I mean by the strings being too close to the edge. Couple this with the neck shifting and the frets being over rounded and the G string falls off the fingerboard during normal play. I was told this is acceptable. I've also been called a number of names for suggesting there is anything wrong with this.

[attachment=68108:Status_S...lassic_b.jpg]

Compare the 4 string to the 5 string model and you can see how they have different amounts of spacing to the edge of the fretboard. The 5 has less tolerance for sloppy fretwork than the 4.

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1081381' date='Jan 7 2011, 06:25 PM']Thanks for all of your replies :).

You've not experienced the strings being too close to the edge of the fretboard ? I've never come across anyone else saying this personally.[/quote]

I've fallen off the edge of the board a couple times on one of my S2 Classic 5s but it didn't take long to get used to it and it hasn't happened for a while. It may be down to technique, for players who hang their thumb over the top of the board maybe it tends to pull the G off the edge?

It's only that one bass, the others have never been a problem. As Vibrating G String said the frets are a bit worn on that bass whereas my newer S2 5 and 6 strings have a slightly squarer fret ends.

If you go for the newer S2 the bridges allow for a small amount of lateral string adjustment to get them away from the edge a little more if you want.

Edited by Fat Rich