Why become a member? ×

Your 5 most influential/inspirational bassists

grayn

Mark King - like many others, seeing him do "that" solo on The Tube when I was about 14 was a watershed moment.
Cliff Burton - the melodic heart and soul of Metallica, and proof positive that the bass doesn't have to follow the guitar in metal.
Tony Levin - the man who introduced me to groove, melody and taste. 'Nuff said.
Doug Wimbish - the bassist who can literally do, and has done, everything. Awesome tone, groove and use of effects... inspiring.
Eric Avery - The man who defined alternative rock bass, for me. Most of the time, in Jane's Addiction, the bass *was* the song.

Honorable mentions to Jaco, John Paul Jones, Simon Gallup from The Cure, Les Claypool, Nick Beggs, Marcus Miller and Justin Chancellor from Tool.

Edited by Russ

[b]Les Claypool[/b] - Got hardcore into Primus after a very bad part in my life...I realised that I should push further on my playing, and after gettin a Primus DVD for Christmas and watching it every day, I started saving for a 6-string, and I never looked back...
My playing has changed much, but Claypool is still there!

[b]Stuart Hamm[/b] - One listen to this guy and I though "Hey, that sounds like my tapping!" Obviously, it's really the other way around. :-p
So, I got into his stuff and expanded on it...I guess I owe him a lot when it comes to two handed tap style. This is amazing stuff to do on a 6-string!

[b]Billy Sheehan[/b] - Love him or hate him, he's a smart and influential bassist...His gear and technique blow me away, because it's all for reason and he explains why, from his use of compression, DIY stereo pickup system to his 3-finger technique...I can't use the 3,2,1 way he does it but still.
He also got me to finally look into P-basses and now one of my favourite is one that I built myself.

[b]Steve Harris[/b] - 1st inspiration...accidentally learned my 3-finger technique by making the mistake loads of people do...he doesn't use 3 fingers, only two! But hey, never mind. Iron Maiden songs aren't the hardest thing to play but they are also not easy either, especially for a starter...I didn't think this way when I started and learned as many of their songs as I could...Invaders can still be a test of stamina now!

[b]Ryan Martinie[/b] - Thought I'd throw someone different in...Unfortunately under-rated. Bassist of Mudvayne, my 1st venture into Progressive / Math metal (even though they are called "Nu-Metal")...his tone is unique and technique outstanding! Lets face it, Mudvayne WAS Ryan Martinie!

Edited by Kongo

Flea - Got me started on playing the bass
Cliff Burton - Pulling teeth kept me entertained enough to actually stick with bass
Tim Commerford - Loved RATM so just learned every track they ever made haha
Dirk Lance - For the pure tone and great playing
Stu Zender - Got me more into the groovy style of playing and had really interesting playing

List goes on from then to now

McCartney, Dunn and JPJ have some mentions, which is great.

Only 1 mention of a James Brown bass player as far as I can tell, so I see your Bootsy Collins and raise you Charles Sherrell and Bernard Odum.

I also would like to mention Johnny Colt of the Black Crowes and Kris Novoselic of Nirvana.

And with my pretentious hat on, we all owe almost everything to JS Bach and his vision of the major minor key system...!

Paul Simonon - Interesting, catchy basslines that always work well with the song.
JJ. Burnel - Powerful playing, great tone, great ability.
Geddy Lee - Amazing ability, fantastic lines, brill tone.
Jack Bruce - Love his tone and plays some really intricate stuff.
Greg Lake - Loved his work with King Crimson, great lines

1. Bruce Foxton - Still love Bruce's playing, and hearing Jam tunes takes me back to being 15 again, and lusting after a Jetglo Ric!
2. Horance Panter - How anyone can play the bassline to Little Bitch, whilst jigging around on a stage, looking cool as hell is beyond me.
3. John Entwistle - especially the Quadrophenia album
4. Graham Maby - Massively under rated (IMHO) - some fantastic (and tasteful) playing in most of Joe Jacksons stuff
5. Jim Creegan - Barenaked Ladies bass man. Love his tone and feel.

Hm, I got going in the late 70s with the help of these:

Geddy Lee
John Wetton - in Larks' Tongues-era King Crimson
Jeff Berlin - with Bill Bruford
Dave Allen - on the first Gang of Four album, Entertainment
Jaco Pastorius, via Joni Mitchell's Hejira and Don Juan's Reckless Daughter

[quote name='ras52' post='1081503' date='Jan 7 2011, 08:38 PM']Hm, I got going in the late 70s with the help of these:

Geddy Lee
John Wetton - in Larks' Tongues-era King Crimson
Jeff Berlin - with Bill Bruford
Dave Allen - on the first Gang of Four album, Entertainment
Jaco Pastorius, via Joni Mitchell's Hejira and Don Juan's Reckless Daughter[/quote]

Damn, I forgot

Paul McCartney
Tina Weymouth

Maybe they'd edge out Jeff Berlin and Jaco.

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='1080711' date='Jan 7 2011, 04:30 AM']Dirk Lance - For the pure tone and great playing[/quote]

OMG yes! I ain't listened to any early Incubus in ages...I remember the 1st time I heard Speak Free and later, Redefine...his playing blew me away!
That nice "toothy" tone he has as well I love. (Listen to Deep Inside, you'll hear the tone and understand right away by "toothy") :)

1. Jim Lea (Slade as seen on 70's TOTP, I thought sounds great looks great, I want to do a bit of that)
2. Steve Priest (The Sweet also as seen on 70's TOTP, a bruiser in eye shadow, ace)
3. John Paul Jones (picked up on the basslines from a mates older brothers Zep albums)
4. Cliff Williams (AC/DC - Live at the Colston Hall, front row, Let there be Rock tour, attitude pure attitude, relentlessly pumped it out & let angus do all the running about)
5. Phil Lynott (not for his playing, just cos he looked cool as f***!)

That was sort of in order of earliest influences, today it would be a different list & next week probably different again!
Cheers,
Norm

[quote name='Kongo' post='1080703' date='Jan 7 2011, 02:52 AM'][b]Ryan Martinie[/b] - Thought I'd throw someone different in...Unfortunately under-rated. Bassist of Mudvayne, my 1st venture into Progressive / Math metal (even though they are called "Nu-Metal")...his tone is unique and technique outstanding! Lets face it, Mudvayne WAS Ryan Martinie![/quote]

Ryan is an awesome player. He used to be in a prog metal band (the name escapes me, something like 'Broken Altar') which were described as being very "Dream Theater like" and apprently he was very impressive there. He was one of my favourite metal bassists in the early millenium. It's such a shame Mudvayne went down the pan after "The End of all things to come". His playing on the aforementioned record was absolutely incredible. He drove that band! Then they became a lame rock band, a cheap parody of what they once were.

May I chuck my two pence worth in?

1. Mark King - When I was ten and discovered Level 42, then discovered MK is from the same place as me (the Isle of Wight), I realised anything is possible.
2. Flea - First song I learnt to play was "Give It Away" - then proceeded to absorb every note from "Blood Sugar Sex Magic".
3. Gary Beers (INXS) - Economy with added groove - the most underrated player ever.
4. Michael Anthony (Van Halen) - Constant sixteenths like MA plays will give your forearm a hernia! Holds it down like no-one else in a rock band - replaced by EVH's 16 year old son - bass playings biggest travesty.
5. Billy Gould - Killer tone, killer attitude, killer grooves (check out "King For A Day" from the album of the same name or "Stripsearch" from "Album Of The Year")

Thangyewvermuch!

Grant

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1082280' date='Jan 8 2011, 04:37 PM']Funny, I was just listening to "RV" by Faith No More and thinking about how awesome Bill Gould is![/quote]
The humour in FNM's stuff gets overlooked sometimes - RV is hilarious! :)

[quote name='Grant' post='1082279' date='Jan 8 2011, 04:37 PM']4. Michael Anthony (Van Halen) - Constant sixteenths like MA plays will give your forearm a hernia! Holds it down like no-one else in a rock band - replaced by EVH's 16 year old son - bass playings biggest travesty.[/quote]
A hugely underated player and a great harmony singer too. Van Halen's loss is Chickenfoot's gain.

In no particular order,

Billy Sheehan (Solo work, Mr.Big, David Lee Roth band, Niacin, Talas)
John Myung (Dream Theater, Jelly jam, Platypus)
(they are my top two!)
Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
Dave Ellefson (Megadeth)
Troy Sanders (Mastadon)

Special mention number 6ers are
Cliff burton, Chris Wolstenholme, John Entwistle, John Paul Jones, Roger glover, Les Claypool and Juan Alderete :)

Edited by AttitudeCastle

Amongst my favourites would be:

Paul Gilbert and John Pettrucci... yes, I know, I know.. but actually their playing style and approach to their instruments has been a huge influence on me and my playing. Their strings are just thinner ha ha!