Why become a member? ×

Your 5 most influential/inspirational bassists

grayn

GOOD THREAD!

1. Jaco - within four minutes of listening to my first weather report album I had borrowed my dads soldering iron and was taking off the frets to my cheap warwick wannabe jap copy. Also, his fretless, guard-less Jazz bass sunburst is the sexiest bass I have ever seen (I went out and bought the squier version).

2. Mani - I loved his honesty when he said by the time the first Roses album went out he still hadnt got a clue how to play the bass , and at that time I thought to myself......this bass guitar lark could be the instrument i'm after....and I bought my first bass. Plus I am the resurection is pure genius for bass soloing.

3. Entwistle - He was the big daft lad who was asked to join the band cos he had made himself a diy bass....and then went onto to create the amazing to hear/horrid to play solos on My Generation - plus he had a bigger collection of guitars then me.

4. Sid Vicious - for the same reasons as Mani but he was even worse....and never got good.

5. Stuart Zender - I was a massive fan of early Jamiroquai and his funk bass was the reason why Emergency on Planet Earth was massive.......

Edited by minkey1980

At first it was Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, Steve Harris and Jack Bruce.

As fusion started to reveal its treasures to me, it was Jaco, Jeff Berlin, Percy Jones and Jimmy Johnson

Then it was Marc Johnson, Dave Holland, Miroslav Vitous & Steve Swallow

Now?

Reginald Veal, Milt Hinton, Steve Rodby, Israel Cachao Lopez, Charlie Haden and Paul Chambers. Also Edgar Meyer.

I have come to learn, after 30 years of playing, that flash playing is not necessarily where the music is. It is in the relationship between the bass and all the other voices at play. There is section of Porgy and Bess called 'Buzzard Song' where Paul Chambers plays a unison part alongside tuba player Bill Barber (2.24 - 4.00). It is not hard to play, in a contemporary sense, but the pairing of Chambers and Barber for this line is wonderfully musical choice by arranger Gil Evans. When I listen to it, I hear the notes not the bass/tuba. The rest of teh Gil Evans/Miles Davis canon shows Chambers exceptional musicality without featuring him in a single solo/grandstanding setting. Same with Steve Rodby. Lots of Pat Metheny stuff woudl not work without him but he never solos. That is what I have come to love in the bass; its ability to contribute essential elements to the best music the world has ever heard without anyone ever actually noticing.

Just 5?
Right then.....in no particular order,and at this particular moment.

Marcus Miller-Saw him in concert not long after I started playing at it blew my mind.
Janek Gwizdala-I've learned a lot from him over the last couple of years.

Now it gets difficult......To name 3 more would mean missing out loads of players-so I'll have
to mention- Will Lee,Jaco,Bryan Beller,Tom Kennedy,Jeff Berlin,Victor Wooten,John Patitucci,Christian McBride,Paul Chambers,
Ray Brown,Ron Carter,Nathan East,Glenn Worf, Scott Thunes,Jimmy Haslip,Les Claypool,Stanley Clarke,Billy Sheehan,Gary Willis,
Jimmy Haslip,Mike Gordon,Larry Graham,Rufus Reid,Anthony Jackson,James Jamerson..............The list goes on.

Edited by Doddy

Jim Lea - Slade

Glenn Hughes - Trapeze / Deep Purple / Solo Stuff

Geddy Lee - The Master !

Stanley Clarke - For his amazing solo albums

Mark King - Saw him on BBC sight and sound in concert when I was just starting out on Bass, and was blown away.

These were the guys that showed me what could be achieved on bass when I was just starting out playing about 30 years ago. Problem is they are still at the top of their game, and I'm still crap ! :)

1: Jerry Jemmott - For showing me the potential of blues bass
2: Andy Fraser - For teaching me that silence is as important as the notes
3: John Paul Jones - nuff said
4: Paul Jackson - tone to die for and super groovy
5: Carol Kaye - superb basslines, some beautiful, some frantic

Edited by Roland Rock

1. Les Claypool : his solo on youtube is the single video that made me say "i'm gonna get a bass"
2. Reginald 'Fieldy' Arvizu : i know a lot of bassists hate him but i love him and i've loved korn since i was 6 (10 years)
3. Ryan Martinie : only recently started listening to mudvayne but his basslines are incredibly melodic and technical and just all round amazing
4. Mark King : need I say more?
5. Stanley Clarke : ditto to my Mark King comment

As others have done, this is my list is chronological order of when they influenced me rather than how much....

Geddy Lee - Still my favourite. How he can play that stuff and sing at the same time.... awesome.
Mark King - Yes, as I grew up and discovered "taste" I realised how over the top his playing is; but still...
Steve Harris - Then followed the introduction of the ring finger on my right hand! Great band man and an under-rated player.
David Margen - Dunno what else he has done, but I love his work with Santana
Stanley Clarke - The all round master. He really can do it all!

Other honourable mentions who have influenced me in either their style, tone, image or a hundred other ways: Duck Dunn (mainly for the Blues Brothers!), Les Claypool, Bruce Foxton, JJ Burnel, Jeff Ament, Pino Palladino, John Giblin, Davey Paton, John Deacon, Larry Graham, Louis Johnson, Marcus Miller, Phil Lynott, Lemmy, Geezer Butler..... I could go on!

Edited by Conan

In no particular order....

Paul Gardiner (Tubeway Army/Gary Numan)
Tony Butler (Big Country)
Louise Howard (Red Guitars/The Planet Wilson)
Jim Glennie (James)
Duck Dunn

With all of the above it's not their technical ability that influences/inspires me. It's their ability to play the right thing at the right time, to lead or support the song as required, to find the groove and to be imaginative.

Honourable mentions go to Joe Hubbard, Mark King, Mick Karn, Simon Gallup, Pino Palladino, Andy Coughlan, Glen Matlock, Jean Jacques Burnel, Jackie Jackson (The Maytals) Sir Horace Gentleman, Mark Bedford, David Steele (The Beat) Paul Simonon, Jennifer Finch (L7) The Bass Thing (The Wonder Stuff) Norman Watt-Roy

Edited by TransistorBassMan

Love these threads. i would swear mine change all the time.

No particular order

John Decan: tunefull player under stated

Dick Nolan: Taught me how to be tight and solid. Not to much noodles

Norman Watt Roy: Funktastic

John Paul jones: wow

Billy sheean: Pure determination and application to an instrument

Edited by KingPrawn

Geddy Lee
JJB
Lemmy
Chris Squire
Glenn Hughes

All distinctive (and in most cases ground-breaking) sounds, all have written iconic lines/songs. There are equally remarkable players out there, I'm sure (like Jamerson, Jaco, VW, MM, MK, etc), but their influence on me is negligible*.

* OK, maybe not JJ, but the rest certainly.

[quote name='tedgilley' post='1076605' date='Jan 3 2011, 06:35 PM']Peter Cetera -- Absolutely amazing on [i]Chicago[/i]'s first album (way before they went to soft pop ballads)[/quote]

You Sir are a man of excellent taste.... I'd go even further and say that his playing [i]throughout[/i] the 70's was really quite something! :)

For me in no particular order...

Peter Cetera (Chicago)
Tiran Porter (Doobie Brothers)
David Paton (Alan Parsons / Pilot / etc etc)
Dee Murray (Elton John)
John Deacon (Queen)

with honoury mentions for the following who have influenced/inspired me immensely:
Rutger Gunnarsson (Abba)
Geddy Lee (Rush)
Gene Simmons (KISS)
Kip Winger (Winger/Alice Cooper)
Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
Dave Hope (Kansas)
Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)
Guy Pratt (particularly with Toy Matinee)
Billy Sheehan (DLR/Mr Big)
Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy)
Leon Wilkeson (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
Paul Goddard (Atlanta Rhyhtm Section)

Edited by cetera

Mine would be:

1. Cliff Burton (Metallica): he's the reason I first picked up a bass as a teenager.

The rest are in no particular order:

2. Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)
3. Rob Wright (NoMeansNo)
4. Horace Panter (The Specials)
5. Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)

^ A very metal-heavy line-up! Not strictly what I listen to these days, but that's what got me started in the first place...

In no particular order...

[b]Stuart Hamm[/b]: Stu inspired my tone, and his records are a masterclass in good bass playing. He shows excellent ability in both grooving and being up front with fantastic bass parts. Stu was the reason I got into Kubicki basses!

[b]Geddy Lee[/b]: Geddy got me thinking about this "perfect" basslines. Rush are probably my favourite band of all time, his lines are just incredible. His tone on 'Power Windows' and 'Hold Your Fire' is a masterclass in getting bass sounding good in rock bands and the production is just right, its what I strive for. Geddy encouraged me to unclutter my playing and just concentrate on putting the right notes in the right place.

[b]Mark King[/b]: Mark inspired me with British Cool. It was that cocky attitude I loved, the fact that he constantly let other players on the 80's pop scene know that he was the best with his bombastic solos before dropping back into some of the best songs of the 80's with that unique percussive, melodic style he has.

[b]Jonas Hellborg[/b]: a further influence musically and tonally. I've spent hundreds of pounds tracking down my Hellborg record collection, and it's all been worth it. Hellborg has always occupied a niche, but he always focuses on the music so intensely. In the past few years, he has detached his ego completely from what he is doing and has created some of the most incredible fusion around. 'Escape' from the [i]Icon[/i] album is about as good as music gets IMO, every note is placed so perfectly.

[b]Bakithi Kumalo[/b]: The absolute master of fretless bass playing. He has that driving South African style, with it's obvious rhythm and frequent melodic flourishes. I love it, and thats what I try to bring to a lot of my bassplaying. I love South African music.

In order of influence

1. Geddy Lee
2. Steve Harris
3. Stanley Clarke
4. Mark King
5. Jonas Hellborg

Good to see Jonas mentioned in the previous post also :)

EDIT: When I say in order of influence, I mean time line wise, i.e. Geddy was the first bassist I really noticed along with Steve Harris, then I heard Stanley Clarke and the world opened up for me and so on :)

Edited by purpleblob

At first I thought this was easy

Then I read the names cited by others and decided I needed a top 20

Then I remembered the thread's title ...and it became easy again.

In my yoof, the lines these guys played actually did influence and inspire me

Chris Squire
Martin Turner
Dave Pegg
Richard Sinclair
John Entwhistle

In no particular order. These inspire me to play every time i hear their music :)

John Patitucci

John Myung

Tony Grey

Matthew Garrison

Anthony Jackson

Patitucci, Myung and AJ were the 3 players that inspired me to switch to 6 string bass. its been 3 1/2 years and ive never looked back

First has to be [b]David Ellefson[/b], simply because it was during a Megadeth concert in 1988 that I had the epiphany that bass was the instrument I had to play.

[b]Troy Gregory[/b] from Flotsam And Jetsam/Prong for the filthiest, grindiest finger plucked tone on Prove You Wrong which still thrills me to this day.

[b]Jaco Pastorius[/b] and [b]Colin Hodgkinson[/b] - Around 1992 I was given a tape with Heavy Weather on one side and Back Door's self titled on the the other. Both were mind blowing for different reasons and both really opened my eyes to the advanced role a bassist can play while never neglecting the groove.

Finally, [b]Bernard Edwards[/b] - for stylish playing which never descends into w***, for always serving the tune with flair, for some of the greatest basslines ever, Bernard was [i]the[/i] man.

Early JJ Burnell - for his ability to be raw yet melodic at the same, the inspiration for me getting into playing bass in the first place

Tony Levin - for his innovative approach to rhythm and his creative use of sound.

Barry Adamson - again, for his unique sound and melodic punky style.

Marcus Miller - beacuse I do like at bit of sw***y funk now and then, and Marcus has so much damn groove - slap bass can really suck in the hands of certain exponents (bad 80's british cod funk bands - you know who you are), but Marcus is just cool.

Squarepusher - because he's brilliantly bonkers, and sounds like no-one else.