Why become a member? ×

looking for a new bass

Chernobyl5000

Lots of choice in that price range , I would start at a lot of shops and try everthing don't forget to do your research and keep notes as you go to remind you what was good and bad when you get home. Do you want something different or an upgrade of what you have already? You could get a USA Fender of some sort for £500.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1075809' date='Jan 2 2011, 10:02 PM']Lots of choice in that price range , I would start at a lot of shops and try everthing don't forget to do your research and keep notes as you go to remind you what was good and bad when you get home. Do you want something different or an upgrade of what you have already? You could get a USA Fender of some sort for £500.[/quote]

I was looking at the fender aerodyne jazz bass (a bit above the price range) as an upgrade if I cant find anything different that suits.

note taking is a very good idea, cheers for the advice :)

[quote name='Chernobyl5000' post='1075804' date='Jan 2 2011, 09:56 PM']Ideally id like a Yamaha sbv500 but cant find one for sale anywhere :)[/quote]
Have you tried advertising in the Basses Wanted section here?

Failing that I'd opt for a MIM Classic Jazz bass, skinny necks & cool as hell

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1075898' date='Jan 2 2011, 11:32 PM']Have you tried advertising in the Basses Wanted section here?

Failing that I'd opt for a MIM Classic Jazz bass, skinny necks & cool as hell[/quote]

i shall put a post up in the morning :)

The MIM Classic Jazz basses are cool, a friend is looking at the geddy lee jazz bass at the moment, he said they have a really skinny neck, do you know much about them?

[quote name='Chernobyl5000' post='1075904' date='Jan 2 2011, 11:40 PM']The MIM Classic Jazz basses are cool, a friend is looking at the geddy lee jazz bass at the moment, he said they have a really skinny neck, do you know much about them?[/quote]
You're playing a Korean Squier? Those are great basses! The necks on the MIM Classics are similar, gloss finish. The 60s Jazz RI and the 70s Jazz RI are both stunning basses. The 70s has the cool block inlays where as the 60s one has the more trad pickup configuartion i.e. not so close to the bridge. Both are worth checking one.

[quote name='Chernobyl5000' post='1076439' date='Jan 3 2011, 04:32 PM']anyone had any experiences with the Sterling By Musicman SB14 Bass Guitar?? that's topping my list at the moment :)[/quote]

A quick search of our own site brings this up [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=111905"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=111905[/url] :)

And Ed Friedland does a pretty comprehensive review here

Edited by Sean

Its alrightish but for another £100 you can get a used although maybe not immaculate ernie ball ray instead. This topic always starts a debate and until recently I hadnt played a 34. I have now and the people that say they used to have a proper Ray then sold it only to later replace it with a 34 and they cant tell them apart are taliking pants mate the body contours are not even the same as a real one for a start. It felt solid enough and sounded like a Ray but like I said before and I wont be swayed on it £100 more now or £150 for a cleaner one will keep that value possibly forever and you wont feel the need to upgrade to a real Ray in future. Plus the difference in price is best way towards a hardcase that you usually get with a used EBMM too. Someone will come along and say they have the best ever sterling and its great and that they used to have a dog of a EBMM thats fine just dont buy a dog of a EBMM which is a lot easier than finding the occasional peach of a sterling 34. Just my 2p worth that I know from many a thread on the matter isnt shared with all except those that have done both routes and ended up in the long run loving the real deal.

[quote name='Chernobyl5000' post='1075904' date='Jan 2 2011, 11:40 PM']i shall put a post up in the morning :)

The MIM Classic Jazz basses are cool, a friend is looking at the geddy lee jazz bass at the moment, he said they have a really skinny neck, do you know much about them?[/quote]

I've had a Geddy Lee for a few years now. With DR Hi Beams on it sounds Jazzier than a very Jazzy thing. MIJ with love and attention to detail like only the Japanese can give to a Fender and if you want a thin neck.......well it has the thinnest neck Fender make.
As far as cost goes, there's been quite a few secondhand ones for sale on basschat for about £500 and some on ebay have recently gone for well under £500.
I also have an early 90's Squier which has a bassier much darker sound than the Geddy which is much brighter (mostly down to the thin maple neck not the pickups) and I really like the contrast.

But you can't have mine.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1075892' date='Jan 2 2011, 11:28 PM']Your probably more clued up on aerodyne prices Lozz what are they worth at the moment and am I right in thinking they are mainly mij or cij made? It's making me want one again now![/quote]
Mine was CIJ. Strangely enough was looking at these earlier, and the prices have shot up, they are over £700 new (some near £800), from the brief search I did, so if available probably over £500 used. Still darn fine basses tho.

Agree abt the MIM Classic range - I had the 70s version, and whilst the Jazz is ultimately not for me, the bass itself was great, sunburst, black pickguard, bound rosewood fretboard with block inlays. Just about the coolest looking bass on the planet - IMO.

Edited by Lozz196

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I tried the Music man stingray, my god that is such a nice bass... the width at the nut was too wide for my liking, I prefer the thinner neck. I was a bit gutted that non of the 3 big music stores in Liverpool had a sterling in stock as that's the one I really want to try.... if any of you know a music shop in the north west that does stock them then give me a shout please :)

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='1087884' date='Jan 13 2011, 12:55 PM']I'd say a +1 on a Geddy Lee Sig, widely regarded as having one of the best necks Fender currently produce. Also I can vouch for the Sterling by MM range. Great basses. Even though I am selling mine its not because its fallen out of favour, its just because I have WAAAY too much gear haha.[/quote]

do you have any pics? what price are you selling it for?

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='1087945' date='Jan 13 2011, 01:34 PM']Its a 5 string mate so wouldn't really match your criteria if you are looking for a narrow neck, etc. Great basses the Sterling range is though. A lot of tone for the money and although i've not tried an SB14 my RAY 35 feels largely identical to an SR5.[/quote]

good point :) good luck selling it :)