Why become a member? ×

2 210 vs 210 + 115 vs 210 + 112

davideleira

Hi.
I've got a rig Ashdown (MAG 300 + 210) and I want to buy another cab, because I need the 300w of the amp and to leave one cab in my house, and the other in the rehearsal room, but sometimes I will put the two in the rehearsal room and gigs.
I didn't test anything, but soon I will test the 2 210 and the 210 + 115.
I love punch and plenty volume, so I think in the 2 210 (my 210 has a great low end, but isn't compare to a 115 i think, but its good for me) but I want good low end, so I think in the 210 + 115 because I think they complete each other. but I don't want a muddy sound or very highs.
The 210 + 112 (maybe a GK or Eden?) is an other option that I never ear (I dont have chances to test) but I saw good reviews.
I didn't bought a 410 because it's too heavey and I can't transport it.
I play rock, hard rock, grunge (metal no!). My band plays a little high...
Sorry, my english isn't the best.
Best regards

Edited by davideleira

If you like the sound you get now then add another 2x10. Adding a 15 or a 12, especially from a different manufacturer, without hearing it first is fraught with potential risk. It may sound great or it may sound cack.

Wherabouts are you from? You don't need to apologise for your English. It's better then a lot of posters whose first language is English.

I`ve always found that when adding a different sized speaker to a rig, for gigs, I have had to adjust the eq, as the difference in speaker sizes changes "my sound". So I now have a 4x10 for practices, and a 4x10 and 2x10 for gigs. The addition of the 2x10 is for that little bit of extra presence (not more volume though) whilst keeping the sound and eq the same.

Not a fan of 15"'s but would consider a 1x15 and 2x10 set-up.
I wouldn't mix makes of cabs though.

I used a SWR SoBertha 15 with horn and Goliath jnr lll and that was great and the 10's made the set-up work for me.
I wouldn't use the 15" on its own but when I downsized for gigs, it made sense to take out the 2x10 anyway.

I now use 2x1x12 and they work better but need EQing to speak more like the 10's whilst given very nice low end, IMO.
Much better carry though.

I can't really say what will work for you with the cabs you are looking at...but I can't really fault the thinking.

If it were me..I would add the same cab for additional volume and it would be the 2x10 as they are presumably more managable that the 15".

Match the 2x2x10's would be my vote.

AndyMartin: If I add a 15 it will be Ashdown. I think that my 2x10 does the work, with the sound that I like, I only want all the volume of the head because I need it. Well, I'm from Portugal.

Lozz196: Ajust the EQ it's not a problem. 2 2x10 maybe it's the best choise.

JTUK: 2 2x10 will sound like a false 4x10? or will sound like my 2x10 but with more volume and punch or what?

Thank you all for your responses.

Edited by davideleira

My choice would be 2 2x10s stacked vertically on their ends. It would get the most from what you have, be easier for you to hear what you're playing & give an even dispertion to the audience.
However, I would explore how the other options sound first.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1074356' date='Jan 1 2011, 01:49 PM']My choice would be 2 2x10s stacked vertically on their ends. It would get the most from what you have, be easier for you to hear what you're playing & give an even dispertion to the audience.
However, I would explore how the other options sound first.[/quote]

How it sounds, the 2 2x10s for you? Well, I said that i love punch and plenty volume (and good low end, and my 2x10 has a good low end for me), so ... the best choise is 2 2x10 because the 10' speakers give me punch and 2 2x10 moves more air vertically, so it has the impression that it's louder than 2x10 + 1x15 or 2x10 + 1x12, right?

Edited by davideleira

Having different sized drivers means that they move the air differently from one another.
This can cause certain frequencies to be affected as soundwaves hit one another, it can have both positive & negative effects on the sound.
Having all equal drivers in a vertical array moves the air more evenly & has a good horizontal spread.
There's plenty of info within this forum section & BFM, Alex Claber, etc would give a better insight into this.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1074398' date='Jan 1 2011, 02:33 PM']Having different sized drivers means that they move the air differently from one another.
This can cause certain frequencies to be affected as soundwaves hit one another, it can have both positive & negative effects on the sound.
Having all equal drivers in a vertical array moves the air more evenly & has a good horizontal spread.
There's plenty of info within this forum section & BFM, Alex Claber, etc would give a better insight into this.[/quote]

I have used the search in this forum section but I don't saw info of 2 2x10s ... and who talks about it, don't say very much about it.
Maybe the best option is 2 2x10s, but I will try to test them.

If you like the 2x10 as a standalone, I would expect 2 of those cabs to sound bigger down below than a single plus retain the top end element of the 10's that you like.

If the bottom of a single 2x10 is good for you..then I don't see any advantage in adding a 1x15, at all.

Go for the same 2x10 as an additional cab. IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1074356' date='Jan 1 2011, 08:49 AM']My choice would be 2 2x10s stacked vertically on their ends. It would get the most from what you have, be easier for you to hear what you're playing & give an even dispertion to the audience.
However, I would explore how the other options sound first.[/quote]

+1. It is always better when adding a second cab to add an identical one. The whole 210/115, etc. debate rages on daily, but, in the end, if it sounds good to you, then it is good. But, people wiser than me when it comes to the tech end of what gear to use, always say to add an identical cab ( 210 + 210, etc. ) , for the best results.