Why become a member? ×

what is a good bass for slap style?

herman

dependng on ur budget the best bass i have had for slap is what i have now, the bongo, on this forum there is a vid of me slappin to peg, and u can here it there. But nowdays many basses much cheaper offer a great slap tone. For me dont have your mid up to high on the amp, have a scooped slope for a nice responce. A compressor is good but tis not something i use but i do have. If you need a link to peg let me know.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1073883' date='Dec 31 2010, 05:54 PM']Well if you want to take the advice usually given it goes like this, You ask the slapper question, Done. We suggest everything and the answer usually comes down to a Stingray from most parties which obviously is the correct answer :lol: then the OP ignores all the advice and buys something else maybe a T Bird or something then 6 months later the OP reappears saying "bloody hell I had a blast on a mates Stingray last night and its amazing for slap I must have one" we all say I told you so and one or two people usually say get a Bongo instead which leads to an arguement about toilet seats and the thread is repeated a few weeks later with a new OP. :) Did I miss anything?[/quote]

[quote name='greyparrot' post='1074209' date='Jan 1 2011, 10:03 AM']dependng on ur budget the best bass i have had for slap is what i have now, [b]the bongo[/b],[/quote]

Here you go Herman, (A little bit less love for the Rays this time but still one in most posts) The argument about toilet seats is next ! Then its your turn to buy something totally different like a Fiddle bass or a Gibson Explorer :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1074221' date='Jan 1 2011, 10:28 AM']Here you go Herman, (A little bit less love for the Rays this time but still one in most posts) The argument about toilet seats is next ! Then its your turn to buy something totally different like a Fiddle bass or a Gibson Explorer :)[/quote]

Toilet seats! how dare you! hehe it has no hole, how can it be a bog seat! bog seat or not its a stingray on steriods! ;-)

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1073902' date='Dec 31 2010, 06:08 PM']I've owned 3 Stingray 4 strings, and 2 Stingray 5's, I hated all of them, they simply didn't work for me, and the number that come up for sale suggests that the same applies for others too.[/quote]

Their have been a few for sale here recently, some at very fair prices!

[quote name='greyparrot' post='1074226' date='Jan 1 2011, 10:35 AM']Toilet seats! how dare you! hehe it has no hole, how can it be a bog seat! bog seat or not its a stingray on steriods! ;-)[/quote]
Black Bongo with white plate gives that lovely "porcelain" effect!

Do you know I have never played one, Its one of the very few basses I have never played. I think part of me is worried that I will fall in love with it but there is no way I could ever love the look of it which is still an important factor for me, Some of you will agree others will say if it plays and sounds great who cares, Also I know some of you love the look of them I also have no problem with that this isnt a pop at Bongo owners just my own personal taste.

I think I might of just come up with a new name for the Bongo? "A reverse Ricky" They look ace and play horrible where the Bongo (Im told) plays ace the rest you can figure out.....running away......... :)

After a successful days trading I'm now the proud owner of a Streamer Jazzman! Very nice to meet you 'Herman'; hope you're enjoying my blonde!
Just got to get to grips with trying to control the tones on the Warwick - quite a shock after the pick up and play ease of a 'Ray, but will be great when I get the hang of it!
Andy

I like the videos below, they show off that amazing Kubicki slap sound. Perhaps the best one I heard was a cover of a guy playing 'Heathrow' by Level 42 on a Kubicki Ex Factor, it sounded incredible. The video doesn't appear to be on youtube anymore though!

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='moonbass' post='1074650' date='Jan 1 2011, 07:02 PM']After a successful days trading I'm now the proud owner of a Streamer Jazzman! Very nice to meet you 'Herman'; hope you're enjoying my blonde!
Just got to get to grips with trying to control the tones on the Warwick - quite a shock after the pick up and play ease of a 'Ray, but will be great when I get the hang of it!
Andy[/quote]

what a great trade andy, i put the post up last night for a stingray and about 14 hours later im the proud owner
of a natural blonde! my dinner is still in microwave from about 4pm, i cant put this fab bass down! had a play around
with controls on the markbass head and got some awesome slap tones! and a bit of chorus pedal even better!
hope you enjoy the streamer moonbass!

all the best, mick.

Jesus H Corbet!!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1074659' date='Jan 1 2011, 07:09 PM']I like the videos below, they show off that amazing Kubicki slap sound. Perhaps the best one I heard was a cover of a guy playing 'Heathrow' by Level 42 on a Kubicki Ex Factor, it sounded incredible. The video doesn't appear to be on youtube anymore though!

[/quote]

I think it depends what sort of slap tone you like, I find the Kubicki a bit 80's and too percussive for my taste. I like the Rays ability to have that killer bottom and treble all at the same time so you can get the groove going on the E and A whilst picking the notes out on the D and G (if you can hear it :) thankfully mine are fine ta). I know its a cop out but it does to some extent depend if your a Flea fan or a MK fan tone wise even if these are the only types of basses either of them have used they lean towards the seperate tones im talking about IMO.

Thankfully Herman has made a good choice and it certainly wont be a terrible slap sound even if there not everyones favourite bass and that natural looks great too,2 band EQ FTW as well.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1074835' date='Jan 1 2011, 10:33 PM']I think it depends what sort of slap tone you like, I find the Kubicki a bit 80's and too percussive for my taste. I like the Rays ability to have that killer bottom and treble all at the same time so you can get the groove going on the E and A whilst picking the notes out on the D and G (if you can hear it :) thankfully mine are fine ta). I know its a cop out but it does to some extent depend if your a Flea fan or a MK fan tone wise even if these are the only types of basses either of them have used they lean towards the seperate tones im talking about IMO.

Thankfully Herman has made a good choice and it certainly wont be a terrible slap sound even if there not everyones favourite bass and that natural looks great too,2 band EQ FTW as well.[/quote]
I cant agree with you Pete. The bottom end on the factor is totally killer. When i put my xfactor up against the stingray, the ray is totally blown away. so much so that my mate got rid of his coz of the huge difference in tone between them.

It's the flaws of the Ray that attract me though , Its the inbalance between the low and high end that I like so even if I liked the bottom end of the Kubicki the fact it was way ahead of it's time means the balanced sound doesn't do it for me and I could never come to love the look of one which is maybe one of the reasons the MM is more popular? If they had made it a bit more traditional looking more people would like them but at the same time the existing fans probably wouldn't like them.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1074659' date='Jan 1 2011, 07:09 PM']I like the videos below, they show off that amazing Kubicki slap sound. Perhaps the best one I heard was a cover of a guy playing 'Heathrow' by Level 42 on a Kubicki Ex Factor, it sounded incredible. The video doesn't appear to be on youtube anymore though!

[/quote]

I sold my Kubicki to Jan Hollberg, a very nice chap indeed - they are the best traditional sounding slap basses, Status/Modulus is a different world - I've personally never liked a thru neck bass' slap tone