Why become a member? ×

what is a good bass for slap style?

herman

hi all,
im looking at buying another bass, im really getting in to slap/funk style, im using a markbass head
2x10 and 4x10hf cabs, ive got a warwick lx streamer jazzman, very powerful active bass! which i could be
selling soon, im not keen on warwick sound, so not sure what to go for yet? is there any expert slap players
that could give me some solid advice please!

many thanks, mick.

[quote name='herman' post='1073797' date='Dec 31 2010, 04:06 PM']hi all,
im looking at buying another bass, im really getting in to slap/funk style, im using a markbass head
2x10 and 4x10hf cabs, ive got a warwick lx streamer jazzman, very powerful active bass! which i could be
selling soon, im not keen on warwick sound, so not sure what to go for yet? is there any expert slap players
that could give me some solid advice please!

many thanks, mick.[/quote]Hi Mick..

Well the obvious ones are a Stingray or a Jazz...but you can slap on anything depending one what you think sounds good... My Modulus's slap tone is fantastic... I used to love the slap tone from my old Yamaha TRB6... there is no, ONE bass for slap, its subjective...

Round up a few basses and do some research on Harmony Central, You tube... IMO you cant beat the slap tone of a Fender Jazz...Stingrays sound awsome too..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1073806' date='Dec 31 2010, 04:28 PM']My lakland has a slap tone to die for IMO haha. I prefer it over a MIM jazz by far.

P bass has a nice chunky slap tone.

Whats your budget?[/quote]

what im looking at is doing a trade/swap for my warwick bass, ive also got an ampeg svt 450h head and svt 18 cab
in very good condition that i dont need anymore, i would like to find a maple neck musicman stingray if anyone has
got one to trade? black or natural colour body would be nice!

thanks mick.

[quote name='herman' post='1073832' date='Dec 31 2010, 04:56 PM']i would like to find a maple neck musicman stingray if anyone has
got one to trade? black or natural colour body would be nice!

thanks mick.[/quote]

You shouldn't have much trouble finding one with a maple neck, most of them come like this. I think it was only special edition basses that different necks, I recall one model with a rosewood or walnut neck (my head says rosewood). Unless of course you mean a maple fretboard...! :)

Well if you want to take the advice usually given it goes like this, You ask the slapper question, Done. We suggest everything and the answer usually comes down to a Stingray from most parties which obviously is the correct answer :) then the OP ignores all the advice and buys something else maybe a T Bird or something then 6 months later the OP reappears saying "bloody hell I had a blast on a mates Stingray last night and its amazing for slap I must have one" we all say I told you so and one or two people usually say get a Bongo instead which leads to an arguement about toilet seats and the thread is repeated a few weeks later with a new OP. :) Did I miss anything?

I suggest listening to you favourite 'slap' player.

Mark King doesn't sound like Marcus, who doesn't sound like Stanley, who in turn doesn't sound like Victor who doesn't sound like Flea.

Identify what (beyond the player), makes that particular player sound like they do. Mark King uses (now) Status basses, Marcus uses (mostly) Fender Jazz basses, Stanley uses Alembics, Victor Fodera and Flea a Stingray (amongst others).

Each bass does have it's own inherent tone.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1073883' date='Dec 31 2010, 05:54 PM']Well if you want to take the advice usually given it goes like this, You ask the slapper question, Done. We suggest everything and the answer usually comes down to a Stingray from most parties which obviously is the correct answer :) then the OP ignores all the advice and buys something else maybe a T Bird or something then 6 months later the OP reappears saying "bloody hell I had a blast on a mates Stingray last night and its amazing for slap I must have one" we all say I told you so and one or two people usually say get a Bongo instead which leads to an arguement about toilet seats and the thread is repeated a few weeks later with a new OP. :) Did I miss anything?[/quote]

See my previous reply, there's only Flea in my list of players who uses (sometimes) a Stingray.

You need to try the basses yourself and see what works for you.

I've owned 3 Stingray 4 strings, and 2 Stingray 5's, I hated all of them, they simply didn't work for me, and the number that come up for sale suggests that the same applies for others too.

I'd say most basses with a bit of clarity and bite. A lot of people say Stingray but I've been a bit disappointed with mine for slap, plus it's not as versatile as some basses.

Don't overlook strings, they can make a huge difference to your slap sound with DR Hi Beams / Fat Beams my favourite on Status S2s and Fender Jazz basses. Status Hot Wire strings have a scooped sound which suits slap too.

And a punchy amp with lots of bottom end is very important too.

Why did you buy in total 5 Stingrays after the first one was so bad then the second etc until owning 5 of them?

My post was meant to be kind of sarcastic/funny by the way I actually like lots of basses for slap (and all styles) and get made out to be some kind of stingray drug pusher from my user name but if you look in my signature I have P and J basses also.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1073912' date='Dec 31 2010, 06:17 PM']Why did you buy in total 5 Stingrays after the first one was so bad then the second etc until owning 5 of them?

My post was meant to be kind of sarcastic/funny by the way I actually like lots of basses for slap (and all styles) and get made out to be some kind of stingray drug pusher from my user name but if you look in my signature I have P and J basses also.[/quote]

I had bought the first one about 10 years ago and sold it. It had a rosewood board and sunburst finish body. I then bought another this year, just to try again :), thinking it was maybe just me. That was maple/maple, I didn't get on with the sound, so I traded it for one with a rosewood board.

The five's were the same.

It's probably just me :).

Looks like something inside you wants you to like them, Horses for courses and all that I have tried every Ric I get close to but cant love them the same way my eyes do, That said I have never bought 5 of them! If its the feel of them then maybe a pre EB with a glossy neck might suit you better, My 82' has the fastest neck of all my 3 Rays and plays real nice. The sound is all subjective but to my ears its smoother and punchier but doesnt have the glassy top of the EBMM which looking at your stuff might not suit your taste? A pre EB with a modern pre amp hybrid might be your only way to MM happiness!

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1073942' date='Dec 31 2010, 07:06 PM']Looks like something inside you wants you to like them, Horses for courses and all that I have tried every Ric I get close to but cant love them the same way my eyes do, That said I have never bought 5 of them! If its the feel of them then maybe a pre EB with a glossy neck might suit you better, My 82' has the fastest neck of all my 3 Rays and plays real nice. The sound is all subjective but to my ears its smoother and punchier but doesnt have the glassy top of the EBMM which looking at your stuff might not suit your taste? A pre EB with a modern pre amp hybrid might be your only way to MM happiness![/quote]

You are very right. A friend of mine has a very old one, (can't remember how old, but I think it's 70's) Stingray. I've heard him playing it, and it sounds great. They just don't work for me though :).

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1073912' date='Dec 31 2010, 06:17 PM']....and get made out to be some kind of stingray drug pusher from my user name....[/quote]
C'mon Pete man I'm hurtin'. Gees a couple o' lines o' that sweet 2 band EQ.... and wee bag o' 3 plus 1 headstock for the come down.
:)

The most righteous slap tone I've ever had comes from my `77 Jazz. You just can't beat the ash/maple/ 70`s pickup spacing IMO. I also have a Fodera Monarch and a Stingray (and I love them both), and although those give good slap tones, the Jazz just has a great depth and punch when slapped, the tone is smooth but never thin sounding. Don't need an active pre-amp in it, the tone is all there already. I was amazed when I got it - I was never expecting it to sound so good lol!

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1073902' date='Dec 31 2010, 06:08 PM']See my previous reply, there's only Flea in my list of players who uses (sometimes) a Stingray.[/quote]

Turns out that the basslines on BloodSugarSexMagic were done on a Wal, and for the later stuff he's using a Jazz. Personally I reckon his best tones come from the Jazz. Just my 2p worth.

All depends upon your ears.

The basses I think of when it comes to slap are -

The "traditional"

Jazz Bass or derivative (probably the most common slap machine)
Stingray (for the LJ and Flea fans!)

The "modern" (extended top end response and sound greatly influenced by the onboard preamps)

GB - my favourite
Status
Alembic
Jaydee
Kubicki
Fodera

and I always find the Nathan East signature has a killer slap sound -

Of course, once you've got the bass, you've got to set your EQ appropriately. Typically a scooped mid sound for the more modern slap sound, less so for the traditional slap sound.

Edited by EBS_freak

I have been slapping all week, well trying, very trying on the neighbours I imagine!

MIM Fender P with Ernie Balls Group III's flats sound great...very fat and easy slides, instead on hammer on when it's too fast!

Yamaha BB414, simply excellent to slap, maybe the hot pups help...lush, real lush.

VMJ sounds great too...the front pup guard help me a little, I was slapping The Smiths Bigmouth Strikes Again on it last night :)

Stingray, sounds great too...as long as the bass 'n treble are flat out...but strangly the one I been playing least, not been off the hanger for a week again....no I don't understand it either?
[b]
...but what made the most difference....a Fender Bassman 100 valve amp with Peavey cab with woofer and tweeter that came with the Stingray on loan[/b]

Edited by iconic