Why become a member? ×

Augmenting a great vintage tone - Effects ideas?

Cat Burrito

I've been considering getting a small pedal board back up together again. I'm quite happy with my tone as it stands so I guess it's really just to experiment a little rather than transform my sound. I recently picked up a tuner pedal again and I have a compressor (Aphex Punch Factory). I probably only want one more pedal, two at most and wanted some ideas.

To give you an idea of my tone / style, I play flatwound strung Fenders (mainly Precisions with foam under the bridge) through an Orange terror mini rig (SP210 cab) or a 1978 Bassman head into a 115E Ampeg cab. Musically we play Americana so somewhere between Dylan to the Stones via Country rock and a little bit of folk rock. I like a lot of 60s / 70s tones and am less into modern active-y sounding basses.

I know very little about effects as I usually wind up not using them but we've definitely got some players on here who really know their stuff. So what would you recommend?

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1073704' date='Dec 31 2010, 02:22 PM']I've been considering getting a small pedal board back up together again. I'm quite happy with my tone as it stands so I guess it's really just to experiment a little rather than transform my sound. I recently picked up a tuner pedal again and I have a compressor (Aphex Punch Factory). I probably only want one more pedal, two at most and wanted some ideas.

To give you an idea of my tone / style, I play flatwound strung Fenders (mainly Precisions with foam under the bridge) through an Orange terror mini rig (SP210 cab) or a 1978 Bassman head into a 115E Ampeg cab. Musically we play Americana so somewhere between Dylan to the Stones via Country rock and a little bit of folk rock. I like a lot of 60s / 70s tones and am less into modern active-y sounding basses.

I know very little about effects as I usually wind up not using them but we've definitely got some players on here who really know their stuff. So what would you recommend?[/quote]
DHA makes great valve overdrive pedals that give a VERY authentic 60s / 70s sound...

[quote name='Tuco' post='1073745' date='Dec 31 2010, 03:10 PM']DHA makes great valve overdrive pedals that give a VERY authentic 60s / 70s sound...[/quote]

+1 There are lots of options out there but Dave's valve ODs are real nice. I have the VT2 twin which gives me the flexibility I need with just a bit of grit on channel 1 and then full-on drive on channel 2, great control with EQ for both channels etc. Pricey but good. THere are simpler and cheaper DHA options.

Edited by RichardFoggo

[quote name='RichardFoggo' post='1073760' date='Dec 31 2010, 03:30 PM']+1 There are lots of options out there but Dave's valve ODs are real nice. I have the VT2 twin which gives me the flexibility I need with just a bit of grit on channel 1 and then full-on drive on channel 2, great control with EQ for both channels etc. Pricey but good. THere are simpler and cheaper DHA options.[/quote]

+1 using a DHA VT2 twin pretty much gets me that Jack Bruce tone!

I blindly bought a Tech 21 VT bass after reading reviews on here. I absolutely love it. It gives my Markbass a little bit of grit for certain cover songs we do. It also gives you that great Geddy tone for Moving Pictures I have been after without having a second mortgage on a top notch valve amp.

I know exactly the ilk of stuff you play and this pedal may be a bit too much, but if you get a chance to test one out I would.

Also if you are interested in DHA I have the basic valve model that lived on my pedal board for a few years and I never really got on with. Im not sure that mixing a valve pedal with a solid state amp was the best thing to do. I am certainly no expert though. Let me know if interested. There would of course be a further reduction for a fellow Gram fan. :)

Thanks for all the replies so far. Two added complications for you - Firstly I wouldn't want to spend more than £150 second hand on a pedal and secondly I'm not sure overdrive would suit what we do. Remember we fit in with Americana / Alt.folk so I'm looking at subtle embellishments rather than transforming a tone.

Please do keep them coming. I've googled playing videos of the suggestions so far and there are no bad ideas at the moment. :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1075271' date='Jan 2 2011, 01:25 PM']Thanks for all the replies so far. Two added complications for you - Firstly I wouldn't want to spend more than £150 second hand on a pedal and secondly I'm not sure overdrive would suit what we do. Remember we fit in with Americana / Alt.folk so I'm looking at subtle embellishments rather than transforming a tone.

Please do keep them coming. I've googled playing videos of the suggestions so far and there are no bad ideas at the moment. :)[/quote]

i know what you mean, i play a P bass into a bassman and love the tone. i would have suggested o/d myself, but not distortion as such, just a very slightly edgy drive. i use an xotic BB preamp, which replaced my bassdrive, to add the tiniest amount of grit, still keeps a nice bassy-sond. secondhand they're in budget, but failing that any good dirty boost would do the job nicely..

if you're not after dirt, maybe a very subtle phaser, nice little 2-stage like the phase 45, could give a subtle colouration to your tone??

You say an overdrive might not fit, but I think otherwise. Not something like the Boss Bass Overdrive of course which is actually a nasty sounding distortion pedal, but a nice low gain overdrive tomake your hybrid terror sound more like a proper vintage tube amp. I also play P-Basses with flats into an Orange Terror and have tried nearly every overdrive pedal going and I reckon for your application you can't beat the Catalinbread SFT, which for vintage thump with extra hairy balls, slays the VT Bass every time.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1075820' date='Jan 2 2011, 10:10 PM']You say an overdrive might not fit, but I think otherwise.[/quote]
Given the amount of replies to say otherwise, coupled with my general ignorance around effects I'm happy to accept I may be wrong here

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1075820' date='Jan 2 2011, 10:10 PM']You say an overdrive might not fit, but I think otherwise. Not something like the Boss Bass Overdrive of course which is actually a nasty sounding distortion pedal, but a nice low gain overdrive tomake your hybrid terror sound more like a proper vintage tube amp. I also play P-Basses with flats into an Orange Terror and have tried nearly every overdrive pedal going and I reckon for your application you can't beat the Catalinbread SFT, which for vintage thump with extra hairy balls, slays the VT Bass every time.[/quote]

+1 : Was thinking exactly the same, definitely try an SFT.
I sometimes play the same set-up, P-Bass with flats into a TE (hybrid) V-Type through an SFT clone; great for old school tones. :)

My band BigRoom are a mix of Americana, Country, Folk, Blues, Jazz & anything else old school & I find myself using the 2 Moog pedals & the chorus a lot (depending on the song for the way I use the Murf or bypass it).
My suggestion for a pedal would be a Low Pass Filter with a pedal.
It's good having control over how much top end is coming out. You can have a very muffled sound during quieter sections & open it up to fetch out a fuller sound for choruses or buildups in bridges.
Try one first, see if it's what you're looking for.