Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

On 01/11/2020 at 19:54, wateroftyne said:

I've got a loan of a pal's '75 at the moment, and it's absolutely lush.

It's hard to describe - the body feels alive when you play it. Here's a little demo I made which doesn't really convey that feeling, but... y'know.

that looks older than a '75. Is the intonation screw on the G string longer than the others? If so it could be a '70-'73

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An unexpected bitsa. Recently, I posted in the Wanted section, looking for a sonic blue Squier Classic Vibe Precision Bass, to which @Philboyo duly obliged. However, on arrival I realised I didn't get on with the shallow C-shaped neck; that was the reason I sold my old Fiesta Red CV Precision. I was fortunate enough to find a Japanese Squier SQ series P Bass near me for cheap, so picked that up a couple of weeks ago and gave it to my guitar tech, along with a vintage-style, threaded-saddle bridge to replace the high mass stock unit, and a set of Gotoh FB30 lollipop tuners which were intended for another bass, but dropped into the existing screw holes and replaced the crap Wilkinsons that came with the neck.

It needed a fret dress, a new nut, and the screw holes in the heel of the neck were slightly stripped, so had to be filled and redrilled, so a bit more work than was expected, but now it's all together it plays wonderfully. 

20201129_144645.jpg

20201129_142448.jpg

Edited by Jono Bolton
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, Jono Bolton said:

An unexpected bitsa. Recently I posted in the Wanted section, looking for a sonic blue Squier Classic Vibe Precision Bass, to which @Philboyo duly obliged. However, on arrival I realised I didn't get on with the shallow C-shaped neck; that was the reason I sold my old Fiesta Red CV Precision. I was fortunate enough to find a Japanese Squier SQ series P Bass near me for cheap, so picked that up a couple of weeks ago and gave it to my guitar tech, along with a vintage-style, threaded-saddle bridge to replace the high mass stock unit, and a set of Gotoh FB30 lollipop tuners which were intended for another bass, but dropped into the existing screw holes and replaced the crap Wilkinsons that came with the neck.

It needed a fret dress, a new nut, and the screw holes in the heel of the neck were slightly stripped, so had to be filled and redrilled, so a bit more work than was expected, but now it's all together it plays wonderfully. 

20201129_142441.jpg

20201129_142448.jpg

That is pure filth!

Well done (and to your tech).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

My latest acquisition - a Squier JV Precision Bass. It's had a pretty rubbish refin in Fiesta Red, and there's been a Jazz pickup fitted at some point that has been filled in and subsequently sunk slightly, but it's nice and light, and the neck is outstanding. It's going to get a new Creamery pickup to replace the one that's in there (anyone heard of Alexander Pribora?), and it's booked in with David Wilson for a Shell Pink refinish in a couple of months time.

20210621_182347.jpg

Edited by Jono Bolton
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, BassmanMatthias said:

My first bass ever (since '98) and the one with the fattest sound. Currently gets a lot of play again. It is a 1997 MIJ Fender Precision.

2017-03-31 17.54.06.jpg

Very nice bassman, looks like candy apple red in the pic