Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

[quote name='kingofthestuntmen' post='1076376' date='Jan 3 2011, 03:39 PM']Did someone say Sunburst and Tort Plate..? Oh well, in that case -

My '72, upgraded (who said ruined..!) with new nut, pots, jack and Badass. Still undecided about fully honouring the original owners wishes by fitting a J at the bridge... :)

More pics here - [url="http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e334/kingofthestuntmen/P-Bass/"]http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e334/kin...tuntmen/P-Bass/[/url][/quote]

That hs to be one of the coolest P basses IMO .

Does it play and sound as good as it looks ?
I would love to own a bass like that :)

• Like 1

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1074894' date='Jan 1 2011, 11:45 PM']Ok I know this is not an original Fender but a Classic Vibe Squier, yet to me this is the best Precision I have have owned in ages and it plays wonderfully, so without further ado... here she is:

[/quote]

This one of my favourite P basses on this thread . . . ..
I think they represent excelllent value for money , a fantastic bass with tone to match :)
This in my bass wish list (which is growing daily) :)

• Like 1

[quote name='3below' post='1096775' date='Jan 20 2011, 08:47 PM']Does my 85 G&L SB1 count - it was designed by Leo, has his name on it, has the split pickup etc.. Precision Mk 3 ?

[url="http://forum.warwick.de/24-basses/7488-g-l-sb-1-20-years-old-next-month.html"]Like This[/url] Not mine, but identical to it apart from the knobs

If not I will own up to sunburst precision 1977 from new, but now long gone. Well made, great tone, but poorly set up at new.[/quote]

They are great basses I would like one if I could find one at sensible money

[quote name='Chris Horton' post='1099755' date='Jan 23 2011, 03:52 PM']This one of my favourite P basses on this thread . . . ..
I think they represent excelllent value for money , a fantastic bass with tone to match :)
This in my bass wish list (which is growing daily) :)[/quote]

I had a 50s classic vibe and I have played one of these as well. Great basses, and probably made in the same way as the us ones in the 50s and 60s

[quote name='Chris Horton' post='1099749' date='Jan 23 2011, 03:46 PM']That hs to be one of the coolest P basses IMO .

Does it play and sound as good as it looks ?
I would love to own a bass like that :)[/quote]

Well, here's the full story (copied from a 2008 Guitar Grounds post)

[font="Courier New"] 'I inherited her from her from my younger brother when he died in 1990 from Meningitis.

A group of us all started playing a year or so previously (most of us taking up guitar..!) so Graeme decided he would go with the bass, having sold his original Washburn G1-V to acquire a Westone (something). One weekend in late '89, having sold the Westone and saving some cash, our 'band' piled into my folks car and toured the local music shops looking for something 'interesting' to move up to.

We struck out in Glasgow so, deciding to head further afield, we found ourselves at Magnum Sound in Wishaw, Lanarkshire. There were a couple of possibilities, including an old Ibanez (can't remember the model) however, as soon as we found the 'P', we all knew how it was gonna go.

The guy was a lil' reluctant to accept our best offer, but having 4 teenagers lurking around his shop for the best part of 2 hours, waving hard cash about and making a nuisance of themselves on a saturday soon wore him down...

Graeme's original intention was to pimp it in a pseudo Billy Sheehan stylee (Badass, J bridge pup, brass nut etc) however events overtook us very soon after.

Over the years since, I've had work done whenever I've had some spare cash, getting Egypts in Glasgow to source and fit a Badass, rewire her and fit a new nut ([i]11 years ago[/i]). Next stage will be getting a J bridge pup, and she really needs some new tuners. Some of those ultralight things would be ideal, as she has a very light body and can be a lil' neck heavy.

Oh, and what did the guy eventually accept..? £200.00 :o'[/font]

Since then, I've learned more about what makes a guitar or bass good/bad, and have to admit that she was (originally) a bit of 70's dog... The work that was done over the years has improved things, but I'm torn between completing the work that my brother had planned and leaving her 'as is'... On the one hand, any further mods (J pup at bridge) would pretty much destroy any value she still has [i]but[/i], I'm never gonna sell her and she doesn't get used as often as she deserves. I'll reach for my Bass Collection or use my mates Mex J (modded with Badass and SD's) if we're recording at his place before I'd use the P.

Hmm, you've got me thinking now... I'll be letting 7String work his magic on her in the next few weeks (going from 40-100 to 45-105 and getting a proper service at the same time) so I'll see what she's like after that.

Mwahaha, my turn...

My main gigging bass: Terry (2010 Precision Bass built by me)
Aptly named Terry because of Terry's Chocolate Orange and the fact the bass is seriously orange haha. The all black hardware really does look the dogs danglers on this. So here it is (Ps, the chrome pick up cover will be getting replaced by a black one as soon as I have money). This is in no way a real Fender but it's got an alder body, 1 piece maple 20 fret neck, graphtech top nut, black tuners, black bridge, black pickguard, Seymour Duncan SPB-1 pick ups, orange finish with black outline, black schaller strap buttons, F stamped neck plate and Fender CTS electrics. It's been a labour of love over the last 2 years and I was so happy to finally finish the bass. Only things that will be getting changed on it are a Leo Quan Badass II black bridge to replace the current one and a black pick up cover to replace the current chrome one
[attachment=69832:IMG_0144.JPG]

The newest addition: Frank (1987 Fender Precision Bass)
He was named Frank because when it arrived, it had a rosewood neck and black pickguard which reminded me of Frank Bello's (Anthrax bass player) old Fender Precision Bass. Just to let you all know, the neck in this picture is a temporary neck that I borrowed from Terry to see how it sounded. The results? F#@%ing amazing! The reason for the temp neck was the truss rod in the original neck is snapped so I had to take it off and replace the neck as it's far to expensive to fix the truss rod. This is an original 1987 Fender Precision Bass as well just so you all know. I will hopefully have a new neck coming at the end of the month for it. Also, I'm getting it re-sprayed to sort out the dents and chips. When it's done it'll have a black or black/white checkerboard finish, standard bridge with chrome cover, chrome pickguard with chrome pick up cover, Fender reverse tuning pegs (original tuners that came on the bass), Seymour Duncan SPB-1 pick ups, 1 piece maple 20 fret neck with vintage tint (official Fender neck) and chrome schaller strap buttons
[attachment=69831:164614_1...993139_n.jpg]

And finally, my pride and joy: Steve! (2010 Fender Steve Harris signature Precision Bass)
Named Steve why? Because it's the Fender Steve Harris signature Precision Bass. No other name would suit it haha. This bass astounds me, last time I played it was back in July '10 after a band practise with my old band. I cleaned the bass thoroughly then put it in the case and locked it away under my bed and I hadn't opened the case in all that time until 2 days ago when I decided to show one of my mates it. Guess what... Still in perfect tuning and glistening as the light beemed off the sparkly blue finish and chrome pickguard. BTW, I didn't take it out of the case, I just showed my mate then locked the case again. Seems silly to do that but I don't want any damage done to this as I worked so hard to get it. I used it for 2 gigs, 2 band practises and probably an hour jamming on it at home.
[attachment=69830:31881_46...834394_n.jpg]

Please excuse the first photo, I used my iPhone for the photo. Never a good idea =/

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 precisions no1 my Lakland BG strung with Lakland JO Flats this is the one bass i will never sell ( famous last words ) many others have come and gone while i have had this

[attachment=71072:precisions_006.JPG]

No 2 is my Fender USA P always wanted a white tort maple so took the plunge last year and bought this new from PMT just bought some labella flats as it has had the original strings on since i bought it

[attachment=71074:precisions_002.JPG]

Having got these 2 i am for the moment gas free

I bought this last year as a 60th birthday treat for Jan 31st just gone :) I've been itching to do a few mods, just fitted a DiMarzio white Pup, made a Maple thumbrest & sprayed it white to match, I'm loving the look with the gold screws too.

The DiMarzio has much more output than the original, it's so clear :) open strings ring like a bell, harmonics 'shine' & every note is crisp with so much power, yet no nasty noises. It's certainly a step up from the Seymour Duncan 1/4lb I've got in another P.

Edit: Last photo added - how it was new/standard/out of the box :lol:

Edited by KiOgon

Just purchased this from KevinJazzBass, i think this has got to be the best bass i have bought in the last three or four years, (theres been alot) MIM 2007, Olympic White came with the standard white pickguard, replaced with a tort and a set of ernie balls straight away. Im in love again!

Here are a few Precisions from my collection .
A 63 that was stripped when I bought it and has been refinish back to original olympic white by Clive Brown [attachment=72082:P_bass_c...tion_021.jpg]
Heres a very early Custom shop 51 P-bass , never seen another one since .
[attachment=72086:P_bass_c...tion_017.jpg]
here a very pristine 72 P bass
[attachment=72087:P_bass_c...tion_016.jpg]
Main gigging bass , a 20 year old 57' Vintage Re-issue , definately a keeper .
[attachment=72089:P_bass_c...tion_020.jpg]

Thanks Guys , actually it was 73Jazz cool collection that inspired me to get off my rear and take some photos on this miserable sunday afternoon . Clive's refinishing is probably the best around and has fooled many of the experts , he also did a 63'Strat for me in fiesta red . You can just see the faded colour where the rear ashtray should have been .
Hi Clarky , I still play the 74 maple neck Jazz you sold me back in August , lots of posative comments from the local bass players .
Cheers
Martin

Edited by martin8708

[quote name='martin8708' post='1126171' date='Feb 13 2011, 06:44 PM']Thanks Guys , actually it was 73Jazz cool collection that inspired me[/quote]

..and my father always thought i am not good for anything :)

may i ask how much..roundabout, a refinish done by him is?
i am thinking about doing this with a bass of mine

Edited by 73Jazz