Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

Did someone say Sunburst and Tort Plate..? Oh well, in that case -

My '72, upgraded (who said ruined..!) with new nut, pots, jack and Badass. Still undecided about fully honouring the original owners wishes by fitting a J at the bridge... :)

More pics here - [url="http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e334/kingofthestuntmen/P-Bass/"]http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e334/kin...tuntmen/P-Bass/[/url]

Edited by kingofthestuntmen
  • Like 1

Everyone should own a Precision bass. This is mine.

As you can see it's not original but it was poorly made and was suffering from "issues" within a few years of purchase. As a working instrument it's now 1000% better than when it left Leo!!

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

[quote name='gareth' post='1076460' date='Jan 3 2011, 04:47 PM']....I prefers leo's design - why try reinvent the wheel?....[/quote]
You replace the wheel when it breaks or wears out.

The nut broke, the frets wore down to the fret board, the replacement bridges were always better and the pickups suffered from low output. The electrics, tuners and second pickup was just me "playing" after all the other stuff went tits up!

I have done 1000's of gigs with this bass across a dozen countries and I would have loved to have kept this bass in an original condition but due to Fender's poor/patchy manufacturing processes it was always going to need replacements if it was ever to be seriously gigged.

With you 100% Chris. The story of mine is elsewhere on BC, but this is a bass I will never sell as it was inherited from my brother when he died in1990. His intention was to Sheehan-ise her; J bridge pup, H/B at neck, Badass etc.

Thankfully, this one was not a particularly good example when he first acquired her; low output, neck heavy, cranky tuners etc (might help to explain why we got her for £200.00...) so ideal for modding.

Work done since has improved her no end, and I'll be looking at some lightweight tuners when funds allow, though I'm hoping to get her to 7String in the next few weeks for a once-over in the meantime.

[quote name='Porkpie' post='1075573' date='Jan 2 2011, 06:33 PM']

Indeed it is still on here, although I think it's had at least 2 owners since your good self, before coming to me!
It now has a Seymour Duncan quarter pounder fitted and some very bling peacock blue DR strings, is much loved and used everytime we go busking, as it gets loads of attention.[/quote]
Glad to hear it is getting used & still on Basschat :)