Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

8 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

That looks like an awesome beast!  I’d be tempted to see what cream strat knobs look like on it - the pu covers and bridge give. Different vibe to a P visually.

I had that very thought myself. I’ve not followed through on it yet although I have made a mock up on one of my favourite design-a-bass websites

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Ander87 said:

Oh surprised I haven’t shared my Limelights here 😊 

416CE053-83B8-450B-9A74-C3BB9A6BB498.thumb.jpeg.99c26a14373a829740e346486547f40d.jpeg

both alder bodies, both Nordstrand pickups (NP4A and Power Blade respectively). 

Both nitro, 9.5” radius. 

Ander. 

Is the one on the left inspired by the Sean Hurley signature bass? I love the idea of a built in on/off foam mute

3 hours ago, MrProud said:

s the one on the left inspired by the Sean Hurley signature bass? I love the idea of a built in on/off foam mute

By happenstance, yes! I changed the pickguard (was too brown) and installed the mute recently. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/01/2022 at 19:22, Ander87 said:

Oh surprised I haven’t shared my Limelights here 😊 

416CE053-83B8-450B-9A74-C3BB9A6BB498.thumb.jpeg.99c26a14373a829740e346486547f40d.jpeg

both alder bodies, both Nordstrand pickups (NP4A and Power Blade respectively). 

Both nitro, 9.5” radius. 

Ander. 

Love the black one, been deliberating whether to get one in that colour scheme/with that type of relicing myself.

11 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Love the black one, been deliberating whether to get one in that colour scheme/with that type of relicing myself

‘ItS NoT bLaCK ItS ChArCoAL…’

I love pulling that one, sorry and thanks! It really is a lovely bass - came to life with flats funny enough, it’s a Motown machine! I’m really in love with it…!

take care buddy!

Ander. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Nash PB63 and Custom Shop 61 Sean Hurley. Both very similar to play, same weight, Nash has 10" radius fingerboard, CS has 7.5" Finish on the CS is much better, but the aged and dinged Nash is more appropriate for Dog and Duck type gigs. Very little between them regarding sound, playability and comfort.

IMG_2265.JPG

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Skin Lewis said:

My Nash PB63 and Custom Shop 61 Sean Hurley. Both very similar to play, same weight, Nash has 10" radius fingerboard, CS has 7.5" Finish on the CS is much better, but the aged and dinged Nash is more appropriate for Dog and Duck type gigs. Very little between them regarding sound, playability and comfort

oooft! Gorgeous! I love the Sean Hurley one, how’re you finding it? I love the mute on your/my Limelight, hope it’s serving you well. 

Much as I’ve tried to defend that instruments over 1200£ range are too much money… well, a Stingray Special made its way back to me and gosh, I have missed that top tier instruments feel dearly. 

how would you compare those two against the Limelight…?

Best,

Ander. 

29 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

how would you compare those two against the Limelight…?

Well, in essence I suppose they're all 'parts' basses to a degree, but to me, the Limelight actually felt like a collection of parts, whereas the Nash and the Fender feel like complete instruments in their own right, if that makes any sense. Being able to compare the Nash directly to the CS, I'm even more impressed with how good the Nash is, and how well it replicates the vintage Precision vibe.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Skin Lewis said:

Well, in essence I suppose they're all 'parts' basses to a degree, but to me, the Limelight actually felt like a collection of parts, whereas the Nash and the Fender feel like complete instruments in their own right, if that makes any sense. Being able to compare the Nash directly to the CS, I'm even more impressed with how good the Nash is, and how well it replicates the vintage Precision vibe.

Hmm, this is interesting - I hold my Limelights to the best standard that a 1200£ bolt on bass can give, but also still the bridge to my Stingray Special is now more obvious - wondering if Nash is the equivalent before going full whack on a Fender CS (not my budget, maybe if really lucky on a 2nd hand one).

My band is potentially disbanding and I'm wondering whether I need 3 basses (2 Limelights and the forementioned MM SR Special) - I have a feeling that if I 'upgrade' to a Nash or something similar and let go of the Limelights I'll end up missing them one way or another!

I should just get busy playing or practising, my current lineup doesnt really need improving for 2 bands lol!

image.thumb.png.f698562508d50af5f8c3afbe80002246.png

Best,

Ander.

Edited by Ander87
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Hmm, this is interesting - I hold my Limelights to the best standard that a 1200£ bolt on neck can give, but also still the bridge to my Stingray Special is now more obvious - wondering if Nash is the equivalent before going full whack on a Fender CS.

My band is potentially disbanding and I'm wondering whether I need 3 basses (2 Limelights and the forementioned MM SR Special) - I have a feeling that if I 'upgrade' to a Nash or something similar and let go of the Limelights I'll end up missing them one way or another!

It's a personal thing Ander, I'm not suggesting a Nash would be an upgrade over a Limelight, just that it was better for me, and as I said before, if the Limelight had a full fat Precision neck instead of the Jazz neck, I probably would have kept it. Hang on to them!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Skin Lewis said:

, if the Limelight had a full fat Precision neck instead of the Jazz neck, I probably would have kept it. Hang on to them!

Great advise ha! I do prefer the jazz neck to be honest - having said that the SR Special is quite wide for my standards but shallower which makes a lot of sense when increasing width, I do love the touch of a Stingray neck...!

Surprised i've only just come across this thread - my contribution is a little bit left-field:

1412BA31-EF8B-4C41-AB92-0FAAD80BBC6A.thumb.jpeg.aec9f6b732bbe2f6e9d9eda179308a62.jpeg

I now only own the Candy Red PJ on the left but...Dingwall really know what they're doing when it comes to updating a classic design. Planning on owning one of their Super Js and D-Birds (called D-Roc now) one day, but I guess that's for another thread ¬¬

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ander87 said:

Hmm, this is interesting - I hold my Limelights to the best standard that a 1200£ bolt on bass can give, but also still the bridge to my Stingray Special is now more obvious - wondering if Nash is the equivalent before going full whack on a Fender CS (not my budget, maybe if really lucky on a 2nd hand one).

I should just get busy playing or practising, my current lineup doesnt really need improving for 2 bands lol!

image.thumb.png.f698562508d50af5f8c3afbe80002246.png

Best,

Ander.

Didn't I make a comment last year about you getting a stingray, and you said you wouldn't? 

1 minute ago, LukeFRC said:

Didn't I make a comment last year about you getting a stingray, and you said you wouldn't? 

I was young and inexperienced back then Luke, please. 

But, yes, you told me so 😂 and I was trying to make P basses sound like everything else. 

In all honesty, through all the basses I’ve had the Stingray Special is the one I really miss/regret selling (although that was a 5 string and back then I wasn’t playing enough to warrant keeping it). 

Also since I’m confessing… I was trying to convince myself (maybe a bit too hard) that no bass above 1200£ ish is worth it for me. Spoiler alert: I was wrong. Or worse, lying to myself. 

I’m happy for now as things are, it all makes sense… for now. Genuinely want to change this behaviour 🧐 if I can’t settle on a Stingray Special I simply cannot settle on anything…! I had the Sterling ray34 but this neck is more comfortable, better finished and well the sound is shocking nice…! Long may it last…!

Ander. 

On 15/02/2022 at 20:26, Ander87 said:

Also since I’m confessing… I was trying to convince myself (maybe a bit too hard) that no bass above 1200£ ish is worth it for me. Spoiler alert: I was wrong. Or worse, lying to myself. 

And to follow that statement, let's go to the absolute other end of the scale, a £50 charity shop bass. 😁

An Encore which I've just stripped, cleaned and polished, spent some time on the frets and fretboard, then fitted a Tonerider pickup and an old set of Chromes that I had. 

I'm not going to claim it's in the four figure range of Precisions but it's an absolute belter now, feels and plays lovely and sounds as a P bass should. 

h7r8ONV.jpeg

The thread is here if it's of interest. 

🙂👍

• Like 9