Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

16 minutes ago, bigthumb said:

The body colour is a gorgeous off white, the rosewood board is lovely and dark making this my prefect Pbass colour combination. 

Just talking about how lovely white / tort / rosewood is on a bass. Mine is more white white. I love this aged creamy white though. 

Beautiful bass thanks for sharing. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Just talking about how lovely white / tort / rosewood is on a bass. Mine is more white white. I love this aged creamy white though. 

Beautiful bass thanks for sharing. 

I just can't capture the actual colour of the bass, probably need to go outside and take pictures. The brown tort guard (the one on my 57 reissue pictured above) looks better on it IMO but it has the holes for the cover and tug bar which I didn't like. The cheapo Chinese one is a direct copy of a US one and doesn't have the holes. And for a tenner delivered was an absolute bargain. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bigthumb said:

Another recent(ish) purchase from here is my '95 US Precision.

I watched that bass come and go really quick here. You did a blinder with that - great colour, and I'm a real fan of the 90s USAs. Looks great with the tort too.
I have a hunch the 90s USAs will be the next thing because the 60s are not affordable, the 70s are pricey (and IMHO the 90s are an easy match for the CBS basses) and what few 80s are around are not much loved.
I have three 90s basses and every one is really excellent: a 97 P, a 98 Jazz fretless and a 99 P Special which is bloody marvellous.
Fill yer boots while these very sensible prices last.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Soledad said:

I watched that bass come and go really quick here. You did a blinder with that - great colour, and I'm a real fan of the 90s USAs. Looks great with the tort too.
I have a hunch the 90s USAs will be the next thing because the 60s are not affordable, the 70s are pricey (and IMHO the 90s are an easy match for the CBS basses) and what few 80s are around are not much loved.
I have three 90s basses and every one is really excellent: a 97 P, a 98 Jazz fretless and a 99 P Special which is bloody marvellous.
Fill yer boots while these very sensible prices last.

I'll have to buy a later Precision just to A/B them! I did own a 2001 Precision years ago which I remember was very nice indeed and I'm pretty sure I owned a later one than that. But yes, it's its a really nice bass. My '77 is heavy compared to the others but it's a lovely player and has the lowest action of them all. The Japanese reissue is pretty light weight as is the 60th anniversary, the '95 maybe a little heavier but not much. If the opportunity arises to get hold of a Lakland Bob Glaub again I'll be snapping it up, absolutely fantastic basses. 

38 minutes ago, Soledad said:

tell us more - the 'white' one looks to be slab-body?

It's a copy I put together few years ago based on this genuine slab p from '67 with tort guard and lollipop tuners:
slab_pbass67engI used a lightweight 2-piece swamp ash body finished with nitro Olympic White. Fender AV RI '63 pickups, harness, bridge, covers, knobs, pickguard shield. Spitfire pickguard (early one with the thick black ply). Fender Roger Waters neck with gloss urethane stripped, refinished in nitro with repro transition decal. Brass nut replaced with bone. Genuine 60's lollipop tuners and '67 neck plate from my parts drawer.

Edited by ukulelelab
  • Like 2

I used to be at one Precision, but now at two! Picked up my brand new De Gier Soulmate last week. Custom options are an amázing Candy Apple Red finish, lollipop tuners (first De Gier bass éver to have lollipops), dots & binding (first Soulmate to have so). Fralin pickup. And it's brilliant.

IMG_0632.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Added a gold anodized pickguard to my Squier and put in a Kiogon wiring loom with Bourns mini pots because the stock mini pots had a smaller thread size and wouldn't have fitted. Having a decent tone pot makes a huge difference! The eagle-eyed will notice that there's a screw missing between the knobs because the hole sits over the cavity slightly, but I'll sort that eventually.

IMG_20200421_145144.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my '99 USA P white blonde ash with rosewood. You can just see the grain in some lights. These pics make it a little lighter than it is in the flesh.  Very nice pickups and has a sort of vintage vibe look. 
IMG_5796JPG
IMG_5799JPG
IMG_5806JPG
IMG_5813JPG
IMG_5815JPG
IMG_5816JPG
IMG_5829JPG
IMG_5837JPG
IMG_5838JPG
IMG_5796bJPG

• Like 6