Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

1 hour ago, crabman said:

The bass is just a standard Fender Precision American Standard from a couple of years back, but frankly I just wanted to show off my new pick guard from alperious.com as I absolutely love it!!!

IMG_1988.thumb.jpg.0cafa5398aefa994a4cebedd11a1156b.jpg

IMG_1991.thumb.jpg.1b072da4a75162dff7b8b61be6f6170a.jpg

That’s a really nice piece of work and such a nice fit , the rig looks good too ☝️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I just wanted to show off my new pick guard from alperious.com

Quite right too. I'd never heard of the maker but that is quite something - checked his site, some nice stuff there, that Jazz for Zafer Sanli is neat. They'd suit a Ray I reckon. A bit hardcore for my styles but really tasty.

Refin on the way. My '97 USA P is due back to me next week from David Wilson who stripped the original black and repainted LPB. Here's some WIP shots from David - interesting that under the very tough poly black (factory original as I know the bass's history from new) it was sunburst - so even in the 90's Fender were still repainting bodies when they had their colour stocks wrong. I did find the original black amazingly resilient. I'd given it some fairly serious knocks over time and never broke through the black surface.
Anyway, it's now nitro LPB so much less tough, a lot less paint on it so it might be a little more alive and rather more delicate. More pics later.

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

• Like 12

Here are mine -

0zgaM47.jpg

Brown: '86 MIJ. This one's got a Wizard 84 at the bridge, and the paint had been stripped before it came to me. It's my number one when gigging - it's lovely.

Black: only just picked this up - bista using an S9 neck and an early '70s body (the bridge is mounted further back than usual which I think places it as a '69-'72). The neck's in good shape but the body's lived a life, including having a DiMarzio Ultra J added and the thumbrest moved above the strings late-70s style. It's not quite where I want it to be in how it plays, but it sounds wonderful.

White: largely original '77. I've owned it for about 15 years and will never sell it. Sounds immense and plays well but it's not light!

• Like 2

On 03/01/2020 at 13:06, crabman said:

The bass is just a standard Fender Precision American Standard from a couple of years back, but frankly I just wanted to show off my new pick guard from alperious.com as I absolutely love it!!!

IMG_1988.thumb.jpg.0cafa5398aefa994a4cebedd11a1156b.jpg

IMG_1991.thumb.jpg.1b072da4a75162dff7b8b61be6f6170a.jpg

That is gorgeous! 

17 hours ago, bigthumb said:

USA 60th Anniversary limited Edition Precision and my 1977.

14 hours ago, Piers_Williamson said:

I'm digging the amp big thumb.  I played my 77 Precision through that amp and it sounded immense.

Good to see you managed to bag the SMX @bigthumb 👍

• Thanks 1

My three: my 1989 US Standard is the only bass I would never part with; it's been with me too long and I know how every single knock and bump got there. It's been modded somewhat with a new bridge, change of pickguard, it's been active and passive at different stages and had Sims LED's fitted on the side of the fretboard. It's also one of the best sounding P Basses I've ever played strung with roundwounds. 

Next is my Tony Franklin Fretless P Bass currently strung with roundwounds  it's a stunning Bass and plays beautifully.

Finally is my recently acquired Fender American Original 60's P Bass. These are something else and easily as good as any Fender Custom Shops I've played or owned. It's currently strung with an old set of TI Flats and is absolutely sublime.

BDD5D20C-549F-4A9D-ACCB-C5995F5000EB.jpeg

DF1939A0-3A17-4B3D-8EED-921B513F71E5.jpeg

DEDBB84B-63E9-42CD-9149-516F96CBBE8C.jpeg

7AC845E0-82EB-4EE7-BC2C-5DA2A4BC19DF.jpeg

0D00B38E-D8BE-4EA0-96B4-905824E3B50A.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Follow-up from the refin pics I posted above. Here's the finished beast. David Wilson did a very excellent job - it's nitro so he took a good while allowing the many coats to harden. Finish is absolutely as good as any factory nitro I've seen. 
And another plug for the rather overlooked 90s USA basses - really good build, full gutsy sound - affordable old Precisions at their best IMHO 👍

P1.jpg

P3.jpg

P9.jpg

• Like 6

On 01/02/2020 at 05:01, pete.young said:

New tort pickguard for my CIJ not-for-export, thanks to Mike Walsh for his craftsmanship and expertise. I can now get at the truss rod and see the LED when the P-Retro is charging. Happy days!

IMG_20200131_142146603.jpg

Where is the tort guard from?

8 hours ago, Soledad said:

Follow-up from the refin pics I posted above. Here's the finished beast. David Wilson did a very excellent job - it's nitro so he took a good while allowing the many coats to harden. Finish is absolutely as good as any factory nitro I've seen. 
And another plug for the rather overlooked 90s USA basses - really good build, full gutsy sound - affordable old Precisions at their best IMHO 👍

P1.jpg

P3.jpg

P9.jpg

That looks lush! He is painting mine now, same colour and matching headstock. Handy having him just round the corner from me too! I am thinking parchment for the pick guard

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not strictly a precision because I’ve fitted my favourite old jazz bass neck to a 22 year old P body, which is aging nicely, I put Tonerider TRP1 pickups in yesterday with a kiogon loom with a 0.1uF cap , and with the labella LTFs , it sounds amazing.  I just need 2 flat top chrome knobs and a threaded bridge saddle and it’s done, I can’t put it down 🙂

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 3