Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

Brilliant work Sibob

5 hours ago, Sibob said:

Your wish is my command.

Went to a fair bit of trouble there - much appreciated. I'm sure anyone here (or elsewhere) investigating the Lakland 44-64 and original Precisions will find this really useful. Having said that, so far (Sony mid-range phones) I don't know yet - I think I've heard a slight difference at the higher end but not commiting til I listen through something better. Whatever it is or may be, it's subtle (to me, on these phones, very subtle!). I guess you bumped the level on the P but as you say that's not the point or issue.
This needs to be thrown out to the wider audience.

Liking the sound of the 44-64 neck, my fave.

I'll be back later - off to listen for the Lakland 'bruising punch and drive'... on some bigger speakers ;)

• Like 1

Listened to this quite a bit, different phones, then through amp. I reckon it's really close but I will go with Precision / Lakland / P / L.

I think I hear a tiny touch more mid-top bite or attack on the Lakland (or what I think is the Lakland.) 

So really close, could be wrong. Interested to hear in due course. Both brilliant basses.

2 hours ago, Linus27 said:

I would love one of these Lakland's

Never really went for the coloured headstocks myself - it's good we don't all like the same one !
I prefer the dot markers (clay ideally so it turns mucky), and I think suburst suits well. Odd that I do like the Lakland briedge shape, many don't apparently.
And then there's the neck, I need a 60's C neck. Basically I want the 1st or 3rd I owned years ago.
I might look out for a MIJ.

I think there is a problem with Precisions though - when you finally get a good one you have to stop buying basses, because there is really no point and also it's wrong. Like getting married. One. That's it. Mary J n U2 did the song, that's what it was about.

8 hours ago, Soledad said:

I might look out for a MIJ.

After 8 months of in and out of love with The Maruszczyk Jake I traded it for this, 1990/91 MIJ PB57, I think it's a 500 but it has these tuners and Japanese Alnico pickups, both of which I think may be Gotoh ? I've got as far as I can with the nerdiscope on Google so I'll stop worrying about what it is and enjoy my first real PB - loving the neck even though it is markedly different to my MIM Jazz

WP_20190322_001.jpg

WP_20190322_002.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aidan63 said:

After 8 months of in and out of love with The Maruszczyk Jake I traded it for this, 1990/91 MIJ PB57, I think it's a 500 but it has these tuners and Japanese Alnico pickups, both of which I think may be Gotoh ? I've got as far as I can with the nerdiscope on Google so I'll stop worrying about what it is and enjoy my first real PB - loving the neck even though it is markedly different to my MIM Jazz

WP_20190322_001.jpg

WP_20190322_002.jpg

The 57 style two tone just looks sooooooo good. 🤘

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found this by accident. Suzi Quattro talking about her basses:

“I’ve gone back to Fender; as you do when you get older, you come home. I take two Jazz basses on the road. The neck is a tiny bit slimmer for when I do my solo.

“I use the Precision in the studio because the Precision is the only bass that exists - and I mean the only bass that exists - that you can plug directly into the board and it’s perfect. The thickness of the wood, the shape of the body, and that thick neck, and shame on you if you play that bass with a pick. Shame on you! I never mastered a pick; even when I tried it, I didn’t like it. I like the sound and the feel of the skin of my fingers plucking those strings. It’s magic. You have so much texture."

I love that coming home quote. Don't agree re pick, but otherwise good stuff. I've heard this a lot over the years - the P drops into the mix like it was made to fit.

Having gone back to a Precision myself recently there is a thing I notice and I don't think it's my imagination. A lot of slim-neck basses suffer from that dead spot somewhere around B to D. My Precision doesn't (maybe a tiny bit but not significant). I'm sure it's the thicker stiffer neck causing that resonance to reduce and maybe shift. I believe Lakland put graphite rods in the neck to counter this.

off topic - once owned Suzi Qs Mercedes 280SL, that she'd bought from Mike Chapman. Cool car, that ;)

Back with pics of my '97 P soon, it's settling in very nice. And my Trace Twin Valve has been located and will be got back soon too.

(sorry, rambling now)

3 hours ago, Soledad said:

Found this by accident. Suzi Quattro talking about her basses:

“I’ve gone back to Fender; as you do when you get older, you come home. I take two Jazz basses on the road. The neck is a tiny bit slimmer for when I do my solo.

“I use the Precision in the studio because the Precision is the only bass that exists - and I mean the only bass that exists - that you can plug directly into the board and it’s perfect. The thickness of the wood, the shape of the body, and that thick neck, and shame on you if you play that bass with a pick. Shame on you! I never mastered a pick; even when I tried it, I didn’t like it. I like the sound and the feel of the skin of my fingers plucking those strings. It’s magic. You have so much texture."

I love that coming home quote. Don't agree re pick, but otherwise good stuff. I've heard this a lot over the years - the P drops into the mix like it was made to fit.

Having gone back to a Precision myself recently there is a thing I notice and I don't think it's my imagination. A lot of slim-neck basses suffer from that dead spot somewhere around B to D. My Precision doesn't (maybe a tiny bit but not significant). I'm sure it's the thicker stiffer neck causing that resonance to reduce and maybe shift. I believe Lakland put graphite rods in the neck to counter this.

off topic - once owned Suzi Qs Mercedes 280SL, that she'd bought from Mike Chapman. Cool car, that ;)

Back with pics of my '97 P soon, it's settling in very nice. And my Trace Twin Valve has been located and will be got back soon too.

(sorry, rambling now)

This interview? Its a good read. 👍

https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2019/03/28/no-control-an-interview-with-suzi-quatro/

Can someone enlighten me. Is one of the attributes that defines a P bass having a split pickup in the neck position or can it be a standard straight pickup in the same place?

I ask that because I saw a bass above similar to what Sting used and that has a straight pickup so I'm curious to know if that is still classed as a P bass?

36 minutes ago, jazzyvee said:

Can someone enlighten me. Is one of the attributes that defines a P bass having a split pickup in the neck position or can it be a standard straight pickup in the same place?

I ask that because I saw a bass above similar to what Sting used and that has a straight pickup so I'm curious to know if that is still classed as a P bass?

There will be many with far greater knowledge than my own, however, as far as I know, the 'straight' pickup (i.e., non-split) was standard on Fender's original Precision basses up to around '56/'57.  So I'd say, yes - a P can have either split or single pickups

The key factor is the pole pieces and how they affect the attack of the note. The single coil has one pole per string. The split coil has two. The single pole reads the string quite differently from the two poles. Leo Fender designed the dual pole pickup to soften the the attack based on experiences with the single poles trashing speakers in his bass amps.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Soledad said:

@Lesfunk - is that a Badass on there? Nice P !
Recently got a Highway 1 Jazz which has the BadAss II on it as standard - it's a good lump (but I needed a 0.05" allen key to adjust the saddles and they're a bit less than standard!)

It’s a Hipshot kickass bridge. A very well machined item. Much nicer than the Badass 2

On 16/04/2019 at 19:42, Lesfunk said:

Much nicer than the Badass 2

For Sale - 2010 Highway One U.S. Jazz complete with Badass II bridge... hence £14.60 o.n.o (call it 20 bucks then). ;)

@ezbass - I should recognise yours but I don't, sorry - tell us more. It has a very refined tort plate so it's something special.

3 minutes ago, Soledad said:

@ezbass - I should recognise yours but I don't, sorry - tell us more. It has a very refined tort plate so it's something special.

It’s a Maruszczyk Jake L. It has a chambered, alder body (3.25kg), katalox fretboard, Maruszczyk’s own p/up, 40mm nut width (very comfy). Sounds just as it should.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...