Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh go on then...

Meet Frank! He’s a PBird with a Tone Styler in place of a regular tone control. The sound is great and the added versatility of the TS over a regular tone control on a single pick up bass is a very wonderful thing!

50737125-4FAD-454C-B7A4-C5E12A496974.jpeg

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

I’ve spent the last few years ridding myself of a large collection and distilling my basses down to basses I will gig and not be precious about and the best version of the instrument I can find. If there’s anything that niggles me about a bass it’s now gone. 

With that said here’s the 2 best Fenders I’ve personally played. 1978 Walnut and Rosewood and a 1973 Black and Maple. 

5A9BC0F7-712B-4F43-BC1D-7FBD4E24C880.jpeg

0B48F4A1-498D-471F-9673-59E146FA1DB6.jpeg

On 27/02/2019 at 19:16, cd_david said:

I’ve spent the last few years ridding myself of a large collection and distilling my basses down to basses I will gig and not be precious about and the best version of the instrument I can find. If there’s anything that niggles me about a bass it’s now gone. 

With that said here’s the 2 best Fenders I’ve personally played. 1978 Walnut and Rosewood and a 1973 Black and Maple. 

5A9BC0F7-712B-4F43-BC1D-7FBD4E24C880.jpeg

0B48F4A1-498D-471F-9673-59E146FA1DB6.jpeg

A framed rig picture. That's a basshead. 😉

• Haha 1

Just found this but love the fact there's a 62 page thread on Precisions. They were my first proper bass and getting the cash together for the first one was a mountain-climb.
I still have a relationship with Precisions that I'll never have with the Jazz. With the P when you dig deep it delivers a shovel-full - something the Jazz* just can't do.
And I think of the Precision as the working man's bass - got the tool, now go make your living son.
Owned 3 over a long time. Don't own one now. Will do, bound to happen ;)

* don't get me wrong, the Jazz does some good tricks, just not that single excellent one.

3 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

That is one sweet setup. Love acoustic rigs. 🤘

Me too, I had a bit of a sickness for a while but I’ve finally calmed down and have 2 370s and 2 408s. Ali McMordie was a hero when I first started playing. Hence the Guid too. 

350823B1-C835-4BCA-B216-ECFB0E458738.jpeg

30D79C34-3B70-4CDB-9310-68DD82D33383.jpeg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, cd_david said:

Me too, I had a bit of a sickness for a while but I’ve finally calmed down and have 2 370s and 2 408s. Ali McMordie was a hero when I first started playing. Hence the Guid too. imageproxy.php?img=&key=4b3806f48250f55a

350823B1-C835-4BCA-B216-ECFB0E458738.jpeg

30D79C34-3B70-4CDB-9310-68DD82D33383.jpeg

OMG. This deserves its own thread. Acoustic love. ❤️ Also that p is rocking too.

• Like 1

On 04/03/2019 at 15:46, hooky_lowdown said:

This deserves its own thread. Acoustic love. ❤️

YES ! - first time I ever plugged into a 360 it was like a life-changer. I seriously think Acoustic is one of a tiny number of landmarks in the bass timeline that Leo started.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soledad said:

Two questions. (1) Is that Acoustic wall all yours? and (2) Do you have all that in the house AND a wife?

Yes it was all mine at one point. I don’t own it all now, just 2 408 cabs and 2 370 amps. 

Its my rehearsal room and no wife. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sibob said:

my two Precision’s,

Fine pair :) Keen to know how you reckon the sound compares, as I feel very familiar with the 60s and 70s Fenders, but no experience with the Lakland. The one thing I get from a Fender P is a kind of punch / grunt that a Jazz never gives me. I've wondered about a Lakland for a while.

I've heard the Fender P described as a one-trick pony which is not fair. I find if you back off the right hand a little, it also has a really clear but rich lower end with a warm musical top on it, not the high snap of a Jazz, a bit lower and more 'notey'. Sounds into words is tricky eh ?!

20 hours ago, Soledad said:

Fine pair :) Keen to know how you reckon the sound compares, as I feel very familiar with the 60s and 70s Fenders, but no experience with the Lakland. The one thing I get from a Fender P is a kind of punch / grunt that a Jazz never gives me. I've wondered about a Lakland for a while.

I've heard the Fender P described as a one-trick pony which is not fair. I find if you back off the right hand a little, it also has a really clear but rich lower end with a warm musical top on it, not the high snap of a Jazz, a bit lower and more 'notey'. Sounds into words is tricky eh ?!

Your wish is my command.

*Use decent headphones/speakers*
I'll let you try to decide in which order they go. The basses change every 4 bars. Volumes have been normalised as one was a fair bit louder than the other, this is a tonal comparison, not a pickup volume test.
Both are strung with La Bella flat wounds, the '71 has 760FL, the 44-64 has 760FS.

The 44-64 is very much based on a 1964 spec Fender Precision, so a C width neck with a shallow depth. The '71 is kinda classic 70's, B width neck and really quite a bit deeper.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 2