Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1418120354' post='2626944']
I love my Matt freeman. Popped in a kiorgan loom, dimarzio pups and a gotoh 201 bridge...... My does it play and sound awsome. :-)
[/quote]

Personally I wouldn't change anything on it. I've only had it since Saturday so we'll see how that goes but I like the sound as it is so the stock pickup will stay, I did think I'd take the bridge off and put a standard BBOT as I'd always thought the high mass bridges on this & the Classic Vibes looked a bif naff in the pictures but it doesn't look too bad in real life. Apart from a rattle from the G tuner it's fine as it is.

Edited by Jono Bolton

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask a question to the P bass collective? If I were looking for a precision with a great big chunky, fat sounding resonant neck, would I be looking at the 50's versions mainly? I've reviewed the Fender Cabronita and actually, I liked what that had to offer, though I'd probably change the pickup! I'd love to hear your thoughts and of course, pictures always welcome! I love the look of the Tele headstocks with the reverse kluson tuning keys and maple boards are a big thumbs up too!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1418830797' post='2633810']
Can I ask a question to the P bass collective? If I were looking for a precision with a great big chunky, fat sounding resonant neck, would I be looking at the 50's versions mainly? I've reviewed the Fender Cabronita and actually, I liked what that had to offer, though I'd probably change the pickup! I'd love to hear your thoughts and of course, pictures always welcome! I love the look of the Tele headstocks with the reverse kluson tuning keys and maple boards are a big thumbs up too!
[/quote]

Dood, may I point you in the direction of my 75? see below :D[size=4] Plenty of neck chunkiness.[/size]

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1418831383' post='2633820']
Dood, may I point you in the direction of my 75? see below :D Plenty of neck chunkiness.
[/quote]

It's a beauty for sure! I'd need to save some more pennies!!

I've got some 'photos of my very first Precision that I've recently uncovered. Sadly the pictures aren't great but I've found a bit of paper with the pictures with all the serial information on. I'll try to get the photographs up online - I'd love to know what happened to the bass, but I suspect in the twenty years since I last saw it, the poor mite is probably long gone! That, as mentioned above, had a chunky neck on it but I'm that the neck was a reissue on a very old body.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1418832965' post='2633853']
Here's my new 'old' '53, barely a mark on it;

[/quote]

Jesus! I really don't know how you manage to find these basses!? :o That 53 and 55 are gorgeous!

How does the 53 compare to your 53 build? Likewise, how does the 66 compare to the 66 build you did?

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1418862057' post='2634321']
Jesus! I really don't know how you manage to find these basses!? :o That 53 and 55 are gorgeous!

How does the 53 compare to your 53 build? Likewise, how does the 66 compare to the 66 build you did?
[/quote]

Thanks. Found them by simply searching. The '53 was from Rumbleseat in NYC, and the '55 from Fiesta in California.

The '53 and '66 are very comparable to my build versions, although alot of effort went into sourcing as many original parts as possible when assembling them, for that aim. You can never replicate the 'feel', and 'vibe' of an original though, but for around 10% the cost of a real one, they represent great value, and were very rewarding and enjoyable putting them together.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1418830797' post='2633810']
[/quote]

Mike Dirnt - additional bonus of the tele headstock, or Steve Harris. Both fairly chunky deep necks. The 50s necks are wide, but not too deep. must admit though, the 50s ones have a certain sound that I`ve not encountered from any other modern Precision. More bite/aggressiveness.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1418912966' post='2634766']
Mike Dirnt - additional bonus of the tele headstock, or Steve Harris. Both fairly chunky deep necks. The 50s necks are wide, but not too deep. must admit though, the 50s ones have a certain sound that I`ve not encountered from any other modern Precision. More bite/aggressiveness.
[/quote]

Plus the Roger Waters bass. Very well made.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1418912966' post='2634766']
[/quote]
[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1418914249' post='2634783']
Plus the Roger Waters bass. Very well made.
[/quote]

Excellent! Excellent, thank you so much! Just need to find a few of these to try out then maybe treat myself in the new year!! Thanks guys! Any other ideas welcome!

Ok, a youngster then ( :) ). Just checked and it was the white refin (Entwistle's first Precision) that was 26th March (1962).

Congrats on an exceptional find. I sort of regret parting with mine but I just found the neck a bit too chunky (for me) and thought it was a waste if I wasn't playing it - not a problem had I been a collector.