Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

I Love a Fender Precision bass. You plug it into an amp and they just sound good. . . . . . .

Here is a few picks of the Precisions that I have owned past and present . . . .

[attachment=67494:IMG_0502.JPG] My current 1973 Candy Apple Red
Top - 1979/1981 Cherry Red , Bottom 1978/1980 Natural ,my first Precision , I was sad to see that one go :( . Both of these Precisions are sold.

Here is my latest '69 precision -
[IMG]http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/cmsb_horton/1969%20Precision/1.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Chris Horton

OK first up is my 70s range;

from left to right; first up my mainly 70s bitsa Bass, then my 1978 all original Precision and then my 1979 Precision. I stripped the left & right ones myself

Next up we have

my 2009 MIJ 51 RI Precision. It's a crime I don't play this one more but I can't bring myself to sell this.

Then it's my original

This is a 57RI MIJ from 1989 that I switched the neck to a 1993 62RI. It's a bit trigger's broom again here as I've also changed the scratchplate and the pickup too.

Current Fender Precision - 1977 Sunburst Rosewood Board [attachment=67496:IMG_1052.JPG] [attachment=67497:IMG_1053.JPG]

Previous Precision - 1996 Candy Apple Red 50th Anniversary Edition with through body striniging and graphite reinforced neck [attachment=67498:000_0022.jpg] [attachment=67499:000_0028.jpg]

1984 Fender Squire JV series 1957 re issue originally Fiesta Red with a white scratchplate before respray and my 18 month son playing it after modification. [attachment=67500:chrisgtr_001.jpg]
Before Modification

Edited by Hobbayne

I don't sell on many of my Precisions but here's a couple that I sadly let go or I'd have had a silly amount.

This was my 2006 Anniversary Precision that is still on Basschat.

A VM Squier that again is still on Basschat

and finally

I've recently been regretting this one going since seeing a very cool picture of Klaus Voormann with one. This is a 2005/6 (memory is hazy) CIJ Blue Flower 54 RI. Again I believe this is still on Basschat although has again been sold on since I sold it.

First there was Kylie
[attachment=67522:kylie.jpg]
Then there was the '74
[attachment=67523:__74.jpg]
Then the CIJ
[attachment=67525:CIJ.jpg]
Then Tony (still mine)
[attachment=67526:Tony.jpg]
Somewhere along the lines a Sandberg as well
[attachment=67532:IMGP2231.JPG]
Erm..then the Pino (now with Clarky)
[attachment=67528:Pino1.jpg]
And lastly my Sadowsky...
[attachment=67530:UVP4.jpg]
That should just about do it :)

So why do I still find myself drooling at Precisions?

[quote name='ezbass' post='1073531' date='Dec 31 2010, 10:34 AM']My customised Road Worn shortly to be for sale

[/quote]

I have several "P's" - Yes I know if there are no pics, they don't exist!! :) :) :lol: That's not the point of the post.

This, my friend, is the way to go!

I have several basses with two sets of "P" pick-ups on and if you want PUNCH, this
is WAY better then a P/J combination.
Nice Bass!

Why you sell??

Cheers. :D

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1074894' date='Jan 1 2011, 11:45 PM']Ok I know this is not an original Fender but a Classic Vibe Squier, yet to me this is the best Precision I have have owned in ages and it plays wonderfully, so without further ado... here she is[/quote]

Jealous... I would love a Fiesta Red 'P'. I've got the money together but I can't decide between the RW P, Classic 50s Precision or the CV Squier with a few mods (all in fiesta red). I don't care about price, I just want a real player and I've heard some great things about the CV Squier, now with the addition of your praise. Hmmmm, tempting!

[quote name='Johnston' post='1075121' date='Jan 2 2011, 11:17 AM']Wanna feel old???

You've had the bass since the year I was born :) :) :lol: :D[/quote]

Ha ha....there are many ways I'm made to feel old daily, so its not so bad! I was only 17 when I bought the bass, I had to cadge a lift to the shop off my brother cos I hadn't passed my driving test. It cost me £240, about 10 weeks wages for an apprentice electrician at the time!

I tried to sell it back to the shop in the 90's, they didn't want it at any price "wouldn't be able to shift it mate, nobody wants 'em nowdays"

I've recently been regretting this one going since seeing a very cool picture of Klaus Voormann with one. This is a 2005/6 (memory is hazy) CIJ Blue Flower 54 RI. Again I believe this is still on Basschat although has again been sold on since I sold it.
[/quote]

Indeed it is still on here, although I think it's had at least 2 owners since your good self, before coming to me!
It now has a Seymour Duncan quarter pounder fitted and some very bling peacock blue DR strings, is much loved and used everytime we go busking, as it gets loads of attention.

[quote name='FlatEric' post='1074631' date='Jan 1 2011, 06:44 PM']I have several "P's" - Yes I know if there are no pics, they don't exist!! :) :) :lol: That's not the point of the post.

This, my friend, is the way to go!

I have several basses with two sets of "P" pick-ups on and if you want PUNCH, this
is WAY better then a P/J combination.
Nice Bass!

Why you sell??

Cheers. :D[/quote]
Why selling? Well I have a shoulder issue that no matter how light a bass is, and this is light, if it has any neck dive, and it does a bit, I get a very sore trapezius and neck. I also use a Ray34 which is much better balanced, but as it is a Ray it weighs a ton and we're back with the shoulder problem. I was happy to stick with it though and do exercises to lessen my discomfort. I was looking to add a P Retro when I demoed a Sandberg P/MM. Not a pretty bass, but fabulous balance, really light and a very nice preamp already installed and a very similar tone to the RW P/P. So a bit of soul searching (see wearing the wife down) I got that and having now gigged it a couple of times it's a keeper, so the RW P/P, as pretty and as versatile as it is, has to go to help pay for it :P

Edited by ezbass

In reverse order...

Sting:

Fender Duck Dunn (wish I still had this):

'81 Walnut P Special (now with CD_David):

American Vintage '57 RI:

'83 Walnut Elite II (now in Texas):

Tony Franklin (one of two I've owned):

'72 Fretted:

'71 Fretless (a keeper):

'71 Fretted (a keeper):

Not pictured: Too many to remember, including a beautiful limited edition MIA Inca Silver '57 reissue. I've never seen another.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 1

[quote name='Chest Rockwell' post='1076162' date='Jan 3 2011, 11:48 AM']I just love P sunbursts with tort plates when done perfectly, and that Tony Franklin above is just incredible!!! :)[/quote]
Personally, I don't like modern repro tort. There's nowt like the real thing, IMO... That said, the Franklin is a gorgeous bass.

My current crop of Precisions

L-R 1965 (Refin, Ex Si.) 1978 (all orig), 1982 Walnut Special (all orig, Ex WOT), 1992 Mex (upgraded everything!) 2010 Roger Waters build, (Mighty Mite, All Parts, USA Vintage Fender hardware).

Edited by cd_david
  • Like 1