Why become a member? ×

Tanglewood Baron (Limited Edition) Bass

chuck_stones

Had this bass for just over 14 years and it's still one of my favourite basses (despite coming to terms with the idea of selling or trading it recently). Was apparently one of a limited edition run of 120 basses made by Tanglewood back in 1995-1996 which was finished by one of their custom shop luthiers and it's clear in the build quality and finishing this isn't one of their run of the mill basses.

Features EMG P/J pickups, a 24 fret 5-piece laminate through neck (Wenge and maple) and maple wings, finished in a clear gloss. The body is 'slimline' making it relatively light compared to other basses but with more big bottom than Spinal Tap. It has active boost which gives it some serious bass to complement the bass/treble cut/boost and the pickup pan. Finished with a brass nut and 14ct gold-plated Gotoh tuners and bridge, along with Gotoh locking strap buttons. The neck has a nice rolled edge, beautifully finished frets and a super smooth and low action which I've never had to adjust in the 14 years I've owned it. Overall excellent craftsmanship and I think an example of a massively underrated, and understated bass. It has picked up a few knocks over the years, but still in excellent condition considering I've used this as my main gigging bass for 12 years and it's a veteran of over 100 gigs. Oh, and in all that time, I've not had a single fault with it....not even a crackly pot.

Some pics for your viewing pleasure: (now with East U-Retro Deluxe installed)

Thanks for looking :)

Edited by chuck_stones

[quote name='BassBus' post='1072655' date='Dec 30 2010, 12:58 PM']That's a fine looking bass you have there, Chuck. Can I be nosey and ask how much you paid for it?[/quote]

Hehe, of course you can; though whether my memory can serve is an entirely different matter........If I recall correctly, I managed to 'acquire' this bass at trade price and paid just shy of £500, so I have no idea what the retail price would have been at the time - I used to know a guy who owned a guitar shop, and as a favour in return for my regular visits and spending sprees in his shop, he ordered one of these in at no cost; great guy and a great shop.

After posting this I got to thinking about how much I love this bass and whether I can improve it.

I think I'd quite like to stick some Delano J Pickup: JMVC 4 FE/M2 & P Pickup: PMVC 4 FE/M2 into the bass to give it a little more grind and definition. Does anyone know any good places who could do this up near Leeds?

• 2 months later...

Just finished installing an East U-Retro 4 Knob Deluxe pre-amp and oh my word!! I thought this was a beauty before, but John's pre-amp has really brought the tone out. Aside from having an amazing array of sounds through the active controls, even when using the passive bypass it produces a fantastic tone; massive phat P-bass from the neck pickup and a great Jaco style J-bass sound from the bridge. I'm absolutely stoked as this bass can now take pride of place as my main bass again :) Seriously awesome. Some more photo's to follow soon...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1302780' date='Jul 13 2011, 07:43 PM']You've had this bass for 14 years and it took you 2 months to post it on here from when you joined? Tut tut. Also why did it take me 8 months to comment on it? Shame on me. I like it, reminds me of an SCG nanyo or an aria or something.[/quote]
Hey man, yeah I'm still not convinced I want to sell it.....it's such a beauty, but when needs must, and since the acquisition of the Louis Johnson, it really is surplus to requirements :)

• 9 years later...