Why become a member? ×

What kind of pick do you use?

Chris2112

Over the years I've come back to pick playing, when I started it was all I could do until I learned to play fingerstyle. Then I went off it for a good few years and came back to it after reading some Anthony Jackson interviews and listening to his playing. However, all the while I've been using the same type of plectrum.

I bought a handful of Dunlop 500 2.0mm pickups from Sound Control years ago and I've still got one left that I use when I fancy pick playing. What type of plectrum do you use? Do you have any special picks? When I saw Joe Satriani a couple of years ago, Stuart Hamm was playing bass for him. Stu used a pick for a couple of tunes that night, and after "Flying in a Blue Dream" he passed me the pick he had been using. It is a white, triangle Fender Bx3 pick that has Stuart's name embossed on it, produced for the Fender sponsored Bx3 tour with Jeff Berlin and Billy Sheehan. It's fantastic for playing with and I always mean to buy something similar since I keep Stu's pick as a keepsake.

I've been using Dunlop Big Stubby 2mm picks for a while now - but the other day, the Dunlop / MXR rep for the area in which I live gave me a Dunlop Ultex 'sharp' 2mm pic. I'm really impressed with it for bass as well as shred guitar and acoustic. I think I'm going to order some through.

[url="http://jimdunlop.com/product/sharp"]http://jimdunlop.com/product/sharp[/url]

[quote name='dood' post='1072023' date='Dec 29 2010, 07:17 PM']I've been using Dunlop Big Stubby 2mm picks for a while now - but the other day, the Dunlop / MXR rep for the area in which I live gave me a Dunlop Ultex 'sharp' 2mm pic. I'm really impressed with it for bass as well as shred guitar and acoustic. I think I'm going to order some through.[/quote]

That looks quite good. Are they a new product? Available in the shops to buy now or coming soon?

I used to use 1.5 and 2mm picks, but i wasnt comfortable with them(Except 1, which i still have, Dunlop Tortex Sharp 1.5mm). I now use Jim Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm and also occasionally some 1mm (I think) Claytons. They feel more comfortable and actually give me a good tone.

The sharp (EXCELLENT for speed playing, im gonna try the 1.14mm soon)

And the Tortex 1.14's

Both awesome, but i prefer the 1.14mm, i think thats the right thickness for me and what i want.

Liam

[quote name='Legion' post='1072127' date='Dec 29 2010, 08:37 PM']Sometime in the late 80's I bought one of these, when I returned to playing bass I found some more. Very thin, but for whatever reason they just work for me (even though I have some much thicker ones) Landstrom Sharkfin picks:
[attachment=67397:CIMG6122.jpg][/quote]

Just perfect for a Shadows cover band...they're colour co-ordinated! :)

I use picks and have done for some years.
Whilst always being a predominantly fingerstyle player I think some songs just benefit from the pick and its inherent sonic qualities.

I think it's horses for courses regarding pick guage and material. In my experience:
1) a pick with some 'flex' is probably best for root note quaver-type work (KOL, stereophonics covers etc.. We've all got to play them!) This helps to give a nice even sound to the notes.
2) a stiffer/sturdier pick will give better note articulation & definition, in fact you can control a lot of your sound from the pick; but quavers/8th notes will take more effort with this type of pick as you really have to work to get an even sound.

If you can find a pick that gives you the best of both worlds then you're laughing.

My tip is to rob as many picks as you can from guitarists in other bands (or maybe your own band) and see which ones feel most natural and give you a sound that works.

If you can't rob any, you can buy them for pretty cheap anyway.

Quite a few bass players have an 'anti-pick' stance, which I've never understood. After a few minutes of practicing you've got a new style, maybe even mindset, under your belt.

Good luck to the pick warriors,
H&R

About a week ago,my middle finger swelled up for some reason and is painful to pluck,so I've been using a Pick for the last week of the Panto.
I've been using Dunlop 1.14 and 1.5mm and Ibanez Steve Vai models. I've got a couple of Stubbys too,but I've not used them
for ages.
I really don't like picks that flex, I like them to be nice and solid.

Jim Dunlop, 0.60mm. I have thicker picks, but haven't yet managed to master them - I just don't like them whilst playing at speed, perhaps a little too much attack for my liking.

That said, I am awful with a pick. I'll swap back to fingers whenever I'm allowed or my bandmates aren't watching.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1072117' date='Dec 29 2010, 08:31 PM']It's all about the big Dunlop triangles.

Tortex:
[/quote]

I use these too. I've tried most styles of plectra(sp?) but these are by far the best for me and I've not dropped one at a gig yet.

I never, ever play finger style out of sheer bloody mindedness.