Why become a member? ×

Need help with Amp and Cab choices

E_MaN

OK here's the situation guys and gals - I've just started a new band and I have decided to change my setup. The main reason is for travelling to and from practices and gigs with my Ashdown combo isn't handy especially in the car so I'm looking for a cab and amp with the cab being a reasonable size. I play most type of music but especially metal (\m/ lol), rock, funk, pop etc. and don't want to spend too much over £300.

I was looking at this [url="http://www.behringer.com/BA210/index.cfm?lang=eng"]cab[/url]

to go with this [url="http://www.behringer.com/BX4500H/index.cfm?lang=eng"]amp head[/url]

Any suggestions on this or anything else you have in mind? Will it work well? Will it achieve what I want?

[quote name='E_MaN' post='122349' date='Jan 17 2008, 06:11 PM']OK here's the situation guys and gals - I've just started a new band and I have decided to change my setup. The main reason is for travelling to and from practices and gigs with my Ashdown combo isn't handy especially in the car so I'm looking for a cab and amp with the cab being a reasonable size. I play most type of music but especially metal (\m/ lol), rock, funk, pop etc. and don't want to spend too much over £300.

I was looking at this [url="http://www.behringer.com/BA210/index.cfm?lang=eng"]cab[/url]

to go with this [url="http://www.behringer.com/BX4500H/index.cfm?lang=eng"]amp head[/url]

Any suggestions on this or anything else you have in mind? Will it work well? Will it achieve what I want?[/quote]

I had a similar problem and decided that I loved my Ashdown so much that I split the combo into its component parts. I now have a managable set up with no deterioration or compromise sound wise. The 4 x 10 now fits in the boot of my hatch with the head on top. Its the best thing I ever did. Cost me a smidge over £100 for everything including a service from Ashdown.
Well worth considering.

Col

Edited by Voodoosnake

Without meaning to get all anti-Behringer, Im sure there are MUCH better rigs for your money.

The thing is, if you want something loud and cheap, its going to be big. If you reckon you can get by with just a 2x10, hows about the Ashdown MAG and 2x10? That shouldnt sound too different to your combo (depending on which Ashdown youve got I guess) and youd have a well-regarded, quality, name-brand rig.

[quote name='Jack' post='122393' date='Jan 17 2008, 07:13 PM']Without meaning to get all anti-Behringer, Im sure there are MUCH better rigs for your money.

The thing is, if you want something loud and cheap, its going to be big. If you reckon you can get by with just a 2x10, hows about the Ashdown MAG and 2x10? That shouldnt sound too different to your combo (depending on which Ashdown youve got I guess) and youd have a well-regarded, quality, name-brand rig.[/quote]

the ashdown 2 x 10 looks good, however the MAG runs at 307 watts and the cab 200, will that work seeing the amp has a minimum impedance of 4 ohms and the cab runs a 8 ohms?

No offence to anyone that has one but DONT go behringher!

I was looking at them before i got my ashdown and was warned they were unreliable...I then went to local practise rooms that have the heads and there terrible if i get them up to 3 they crackle!

I shouldnt see there being much problem with the cab but as said above you can get alot better for the money!

Its only my opinion tho so...

get the ashdown MAG 2x10! or +1 on the hartke just got a hartke rig and its awsome!

Edited by bassboy115

A friend of mine has a Behringer 8X10 and his brother who is a better friend of mine says it's f***ing awful, poorly made and heavy as hell. I like the MAG heads, I used one for a gig and had loads of compliments on the sound. I thought for a while I was using it through a MAG cabinet but looking at a picture of me using it I can see it's an ABM one. Still great sounding. So aye, +1 on the Ashdown. Go with soundslive.co.uk, MAG 300 heads are £191 and you can get a MAG 410 cab for about £220.

without wanting to advertise too much, I've also got a hartke head I'm selling at the moment. 3000 model that kicks out 350 on 4ohm and 180 on 8ohm. if you're based in south wales or nearby feel free to come take a look. looking for 160 for it and might have a cab available also (peavey 4x10 at 8 ohm).

edit: messed up the model number, fixed

Edited by JayX

If I've learned anything from buying gear, don't go with a cheap option. It's always better to wait and save a little bit longer until you can afford decent gear. I bought a Peavey TNT because it was cheaper than the Ashdown Mag combo I wanted. Ultimately I was pretty disappointed with it. I was going to settle for a MAG cab to go with my ABM head but I've decided to wait a few weeks til I can afford an ABM cab. Luckily a day later someone had put an ABM 410 on here which I'll be buying when he gets back from holiday. If you still dont want to spend a lot, always check the Basschat Marketplace, loads of bargains and as it's a community you're not likely to get stung on here as you might with the likes of ebay.

I'm no expert in this field but I advise against that Behringer setup. I got back into playing last year and bought my very first rig in June - That very same Behringer BX4500H head, only with a BA115 Cab. I knew they didn't have a great rep but thought they can't all be bad...

The head is currently with Behringer on repair. It had a problem with the mains input circuitry and as a result, would only power up with certain kettle leads. One night, setting up for a gig it failed to power up from any mains lead! It took a lot of delicate wiggling and lots of gaffa tape to get switched on. I was afraid that it would get touched during the gig and die again. Our drummer has the previous 300W version of this head and his has also been temperamental with the mains.

I'm flogging it as soon as it returns and buying a LittleMarkII. The cab will also be off once I get a replacement.

To be fair though, the sound surprised a lot of people, especially at a recent gig. It has a "Deep" function which I use - and it sounds pretty decent really. It also has an "Ultrabass" function which is bloody awful - it sounds like a Wookiee with diarrhoea.

I got what I paid for. Avoid it, seriously.

[quote name='BlueBear' post='125808' date='Jan 22 2008, 10:31 PM']Avoid it, seriously.[/quote]

what he said buddy. A friend of mine had one of there combo amps and it never used to even work 1/2 the time!
tbh mate, wait a little longer/sell some things and get a better, more respectable amp.

I mean when i 1st saw one of there mixers called the "eurostack" i dont ever trust anything with euro in it! :)