Why become a member? ×

New Fenders

sk8

[quote name='lwtait' post='122954' date='Jan 18 2008, 04:32 PM']I can't see what they offer over the mexican standard, or the highway ones, or any of the other precisions out there. I've just had a count, excluding 5 string varients, left handed varients, and models with more than just a p bass pickup, there are 7! There is also an active precision I've not included. I've looked it up, most of these differences are purely asthetics, I think its way OTT.[/quote]

You missed the better quality paint finish, the better quality tuners, better neck, hard case, better electronics... I reckon if you upgraded a Highway One to the same spec it would cost you more than an American Standard. Up to you if you think the differences are worth paying for but aesthetic? I don't think so.

Both are still too expensive (at Sterling rates)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='123106' date='Jan 18 2008, 08:33 PM']^^^ urrm you can order it with black....

I may just be doing that. I desperately wanted a Clover 5 beofre these came out.....

Now its a P 5 blk/blk maple neck; and its a wider neck than the Clover..... BLISSS.....

Sign me up![/quote]

Me too! Black black maple 5 string.... hooray!

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='123161' date='Jan 18 2008, 10:22 PM']Whats wrong with the Hipshots?[/quote]

don't think anything's wrong with them, just prefer pre CBS type machine heads, y'know rivet through the post, reverse and all that :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='123106' date='Jan 18 2008, 08:33 PM']^^^ urrm you can order it with black....[/quote]

Yeah, you can, I tried to, I was told that if I order one with a black scratchplate there was no guarantee that it wouldn't still turn up with a white one-this came from the Fender rep. It was easier to buy the one in the shop with a white one and order a black scratchplate. Straight up.

Comparing the specs, new to old looks like they're cost cutting. Thinner varnish to let more sound through?? More like because it costs less! No S1 switch? Well they definitely saved a few dollars there! Lighter hipshot tuners... Hmmm, less metal, then?

Same old story - Less spec & quality with a higher price tag.

Stick to the Japanese, I say! Although I do still gas for a Candy Cola/maple Precision with S1 switching. May get one before they're all gone!

[quote name='Muppet' post='123110' date='Jan 18 2008, 08:38 PM']You missed the better quality paint finish, the better quality tuners, better neck, hard case, better electronics... I reckon if you upgraded a Highway One to the same spec it would cost you more than an American Standard. Up to you if you think the differences are worth paying for but aesthetic? I don't think so.

Both are still too expensive (at Sterling rates)[/quote]

Ok, I'll admit it isn't purely asthetic. But still, I cant see huge differences between say... the 57 reissue and the 62 reissue, or the standard and the 50s precision. All I think is that they should make say an active precision, the big block precision, the american deluxe precision and a simple, standard precision.

[quote name='lwtait' post='123339' date='Jan 19 2008, 12:48 PM']Ok, I'll admit it isn't purely asthetic. But still, I cant see huge differences between say... the 57 reissue and the 62 reissue, or the standard and the 50s precision. All I think is that they should make say an active precision, the big block precision, the american deluxe precision and a simple, standard precision.[/quote]

I suspect that Fender, with a few more years of marketing experience than you, would have a different opinion. They're out to make money - they're not going to make a model that they can't sell and if they do it won't hang around long.. Why should they limit themselves? They're catering for a diverse market with a wide range of disposable incomes...

[quote name='lwtait' post='122954' date='Jan 18 2008, 04:32 PM']I can't see what they offer over the mexican standard, or the highway ones, or any of the other precisions out there. I've just had a count, excluding 5 string varients, left handed varients, and models with more than just a p bass pickup, there are 7! There is also an active precision I've not included. I've looked it up, most of these differences are purely asthetics, I think its way OTT.[/quote]

Well, as i said, Blizzard white with Maple neck is not something the HW-One series offers. So that two things to start with.

Not aiming this at anyone inparticular but a few people seem to just not like MIA's. I find that strange as im guessing these people havent actually played every MIA out there ot give a blanket statement about how MIA's are rubbish.

To me a bass is a bass. If it plays well then its a good one. People will spend £1500-£3000 for a bass. That, to me is OTT, not £800.

All IMHO of course.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='124279' date='Jan 20 2008, 11:50 PM']Well, as i said, Blizzard white with Maple neck is not something the HW-One series offers. So that two things to start with.

Not aiming this at anyone inparticular but a few people seem to just not like MIA's. I find that strange as im guessing these people havent actually played every MIA out there ot give a blanket statement about how MIA's are rubbish.

To me a bass is a bass. If it plays well then its a good one. People will spend £1500-£3000 for a bass. That, to me is OTT, not £800.

All IMHO of course.[/quote]

+1 I use both MIA and CIJ, I think they're as good as eachother. I can't really comment on MIM, never owned one.

Fender have been re-hashing the P and J for so long now and the price increase may finally make people wake up and take their business elsewhere.

All they seem to do is play with the hardware and the wiring, giving new buzzwords to the alterations. Surely, Fender can come up with something new alongside the 'classic 'stuff...

[quote name='Al.B' post='125577' date='Jan 22 2008, 05:32 PM']Does anyone actually own or play one of the new models ??? it would be interesting to hear their opinion. I agree they're expensive but i still want a MIA P bass de luxe in black with gold s/plate gas gas gas !!!!!
cheers
Al.[/quote]

I think I'm going to have a P 5, but I have just been told if I order it now, I [u]may[/u] have it in April....

Now for a custom made I would be OK with that but for what should be 'off the shelf' thats a bit poo isn't it?

:)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='125888' date='Jan 23 2008, 07:02 AM']I think I'm going to have a P 5, but I have just been told if I order it now, I [u]may[/u] have it in April....

Now for a custom made I would be OK with that but for what should be 'off the shelf' thats a bit poo isn't it?

:)[/quote]

That'll be the extra string Fender have to worry about :huh: