Why become a member? ×

Wizard Jazz bass pickups

[quote name='zapp' post='149734' date='Mar 2 2008, 10:27 AM']Forgive the Noobish question but are these pups passive only?[/quote]

The pups as supplied are passive, yes. You could connect them to a John East pre or an Audere Im sure.

I use Wizard Thumpers in my SX P and the sounds is superb, highly recommended. In fact, Im ordering a set of Jazz pups for my new SX when it arrives.

It's not a Jazz, but I've been astounded by the difference Wizards have made to my Shergold Marathon bass. The standard factory pickup was rewound and remagnetised by Andy, and a DiMarzio J-type (bridge position) added in the 80s was replaced with a stock Wizard J84.

[url="http://web.mac.com/ianhalstead/Desperate_Din/"]You can hear the results here[/url]:

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a set of custom "74's" from Andy for a very bright, very light MIA 75RI Jazz that I'd struggled to find the right pickups for.

Having tried DiMarzio model J and Ultra Jazz without success I tried to put the original PU's back in only to find that the neck pu was damaged. I spoke to Andy and decided on a set to give me a little more bass response to compensate for the lightweight inherent sound of this Jazz.

When I first tried the set I was blown away with the dynamics and vintage tone and realised that this was exactly how I wanted the bass to sound.

I have since replaced the set in my old lawsuit Tokai jazz sound with "64's" and also bought a P/J set for my 78 Aria Precision. All of these basses now sound great.

I didn't realise just how "flat" stock pickups can sound compared to Andy's handwound gems.

Also (now that I have no more basses to fit out :) ) I can say that that at the prices Andy charges they are the ultimate bargain.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I think they're crap.

Ha! Only fooling!!!!!

I put a set of stock 84's into my newly aquired Mex Jazz. Now it sounds like a Jazz , rather than Jazz'ish'. I'm rubbish at describing sound in words but in pub terms it's like my pint has been topped up properly.

My telephone conversation with Wiz was informative and helpful and the pups arrived 2 days before expected.

The last thing this thread appears to need is another recommendation but I can't not add one. I've been around a long time kit that's quality made by folk who give a sh*t,does what it says on the tin and costs a fair bit less than most of it's 'big name' rivals gets my vote. The fact that it's made on this side of the pond too is a bonus.

I guarantee there are players amongst us who aren't particularly well wedged, who are skrimping and saving to buy a high end bass because their current basses are not delivering the sound they want , who could spend £70 for a J set or £50 for a P and be very happy bunnies indeed.

The business - and Wizard will be getting more of mine.

[quote name='zapp' post='150241' date='Mar 3 2008, 11:50 AM']Do the 84's sound good for slap as well as finger style?[/quote]

Hey Dave, I'll let you know soon. I got Andy to make a 5-string set of the 84's for my custom Jazz I'm building. They are supposed to have more output than standard US pups, so I'm leaving the bass passive. I'll keep you posted.

Ian
ps. Are you thinking of changing your Zappbass pickups?

I spoke to Andy today about doing a rewind on a pickup and he seemed like a very nice bloke. No wonder you guys like him. He confessed to me that he's had so much demand from Basschat that he's now short of certain parts. Nice work! :)

Hi Ian, no mate I'm still very happy with the EMG/Aguillar combination that you fitted for me. I'm thinking about replacing the pups in my 75RI Jazz. The Badass II Bridge has already made a positve difference.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Going on the recommendations in this thread I got a set of 64s fitted in my Squier VM 70s Jazz and sounds fantastic - very clear and articulate which is what I wanted as I like to play chords and drones a lot. It also can thump like a b'stard with the tone full off and just the neck pickup on full. I also got a set of upgraded pots fitted at the same time to get the best out of the pups. Using my SansAmp BDDI into the power amp of my Ashdown Electric Blue 130 sounds fantastic - a bit of distortion and it's right in JJ Burnel territory (even dare I say it, the first Elastica album). Loads of sounds from these electronics - from clear chiming Hooky-esque sounds and chords to fat Timmy C styles. I haven't even had cause to alter the settings on my SansAmp - which is how I like it. The Wizards are also a lot less noisy near the amp than the Duncan Designed ones that came as standard.

It's early days but I may have a bass that I prefer to my Warwick for the first time in 8 years.

Great bass, great pickups, I can't help wondering what a passive Warwick Corvette would sound like fitted with these!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just ordered apair of 84s for my MIJ '75 reissue Jazz. I'm so excited!

Anyone know a good place in London to get-
a) pickups fitted
:) bass set up (intonation, truss, action etc)
c) insides properly screened?

I've got a gig on the 20th and want my baby to be in top shape! someone mentioned McGinley (Mcsomething?) guitars?

• 1 month later...

Sorry to drag this thread up again but:

I have finally finished adding a set of custom 5 string Wizards to my Squier Precision 5 (P shape but J pickups) and I am a very happy man!

Please note the following though:

I originally asked Andy for a 5 string custom set in the 84 sound. He asked me width of the pickup (B string edge to G string edge) and that was about it. When they came, the screw mounts were closer together so the pickup had to be jammed into the bridge rout and neck position scratchplate .

Once fitted, I had no attack if pulling on the string (downstroking with the thumb was fine). After a lot of sending photographs with a measuring tape in them, he concluded that the "sensing area" of the pickup was to small. They then made me a single unit to try. I don't know how they make them, but he said they had used extra strong magnets and a bit of extra metal plate in it to widen the field?

The new one worked, so they have made me another which I fitted last night. For these new ones, he managed to find some casings with the correct screw hole widths so they just slotted straight in.

I now have the sound I want and I am very happy. Andy was thoroughly helpful throughout and I have no problems in recommending any of you to these pickups.

I only told the above story to warn you all that you may come across issues when buying. It has taken around 4 weeks and a lot of swapping pickups in and out (so that I could still use the bass) before this was sorted. Naiively, I had assumed that all Jazz pickups would have the same footprint, but I was totally wrong.

Anyway, it's all done and dusted now. Another vote for Andy and his team!

As per my previous post, I have just had this response from Andy which I thought I'd add:

[b][i]Stew,

Glad you got it sorted and that you like 'em.

If you do write somfink on Basschat, might be worth mentioning that your original pickups were Fender stock sized neck four string cases, and what we've managed to do is squeeze five string guts inside similar sized cases.[/i][/b]

Hope some of this info will help someone else with a cheapo 5 string they're trying to mod!

• 7 months later...

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='215353' date='Jun 9 2008, 11:22 AM']Anyone know a good place in London to get-
a) pickups fitted
:) bass set up (intonation, truss, action etc)
c) insides properly screened?[/quote]
[url="http://home.btconnect.com/aguitar/history/aboutus.htm"]http://home.btconnect.com/aguitar/history/aboutus.htm[/url]

I've had work done here before to a very high standard: Andy's Denmark Street - I believe it's called something else now as Andy sold out but he still does most of the work - he just didn't need the hassle of running the business.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've just recently dropped a set of custom wounds (roughly based on 84's) into my 5 string SX Jazz and the difference it's made is amazing. I've loved the way the SX felt in my hands since I bought it (via BassChat classifieds, obviously!) and acoustically, it had a lovely tone but plugged in it was a bit thin and wimpy and I had to drive the preamp pretty hard. It's now a lot fatter but not to the extent of sounding muddy, with a cheeky bit of growl and is noticeably louder.

Via email discussions with Andy, it seems that whilst pickup sizes for 4 string Jazzes are pretty much standard, it's a different matter with 5 string Jazzes (as noted by someone above). I got busy with a ruler to measure up and sent through the dimensions, he custom wound a set that arrived in a couple of days. The set he's wound me are covered - he said it was all he was able to do to suit the dimensions I'd sent through. Whilst covered pickups wouldn't have been my first choice, I really couldn't care less how they look now I've heard how good they sound.

I may have to investigate some of his guitar pickups...

G