Why become a member? ×

EBS Proline vs Neoline cabs

Steve Spector

I've owned and used many ProLine cabs but never and Neo ones, though there have been a few times where I wish I had! I have been told by a few guys that have used both and they've said that they prefer the Prolines over the neos. I'd like to A/B some and see (hear) for myself.

Neo cabinets are lighter in terms of wood used... The Proline Cabinets are heavier duty.

The Neo speakers are lighter and so save even more weight. Neo speakers also have a higher power handling.

Tonally there is little in it. I find the Neo to be very slightly (only a little) lacking in low mids compared to the Proline but that's easily EQ' back in if you miss it. The Prolines seem to have a heavier bottom end, in fact I often take a little bass off the Prolines (again only a tiny amount), but I suspect that's due to the heavier solid cabinet rather than the speakers.

I prefer the Neo mainly due to the weight... But am more than happy using Prolines as they sound huge.

In terms of actual driver weights, there isn't a great deal of weight saving in it... it's mostly due to the choice of wood in building the cabs which saves the weight. As Shep says, the Proline Cabinets are heavy duty - but in reality, there isn't a lot in it. I also prefer the look of the Proline cabs over the Neo cabs.

I would disagree about there being nothing in it with regards to tone. As an owner/ex-owner of a range of Proline and Neoline cabinets, all the Neo cabs have been moved on in favour of the Proline cabs. The Proline cabs have a much meatier sound across the EQ spectrum and a much tighter bottom end. For me, the Neo 15 doesn't compare to the Proline 15 and there is an even bigger gap in the 10s. In general, I found that the Neos were always a little bass shy and despite their higher power handling, they always gave up and struggled before the Prolines did. In reality, the power of the cab is meaningless - it's how well the speakers perform with what they are given. Any speaker would run into distortion and fart before coming anywhere near it's power handling rating. I could make a speaker with a barbwire coil if you wanted high powerhandling... wouldn't mean it's any good though.

Efficiency and volume without exceeding xmax is the key. Other cabs boast of enormous power handling from a single speaker... but what's the point if you need a 1kw amp to drive it all? Hardly efficient - and who really should need that sort of power for just 1 cab?

Anyway, back to the point.

The downside to the Prolines is the weight... which is why I opted for a modular set up - four 2x10 cabs at 8 Ohms (special order from EBS). All the tone in small, manageable packages. I take only the required number of cabs needed for the gig. Works for me.

As for Neos, I think the 2x12 is the best setup. Two EBS Neo 1x12s doesn't equal an EBS 2x12. The EBS 2x12 cab is huge sounding in comparison. It was a modular setup I considered but it didn't work.

I still prefer the Proline though - but with that, comes the extra weight.

My fave single cab remains the 4x10 Proline... but oh the weight!

What you should do is audition the cabs to see what works for you. It may be a tradeoff, it may not... but consider the following -

1) are you going to be lifting it? are you OK lifting it?
2) could you hear the difference on the gig?
3) could you hear the difference on a recording?
4) do you want to spend the extra on a Neo given the answers to the above? Do you think Neo is better? Do think it warrants the extra money?
5) do you want higher resale (EBS cabs lose their value greatly on the used market... neo less so than proline) should you ever wish to sell?

There are no wrong or right answers, just ask yourself them before making a decision.

As for reliability issues, EBS had problems with their early Neo 10inch speakers wheres the motors would get stuck rigid. These have probably been now all sorted as any which were problematic would have been replaced. If buying used, the easiest way to generally spot a newer cab is the bigger knob on the tweeter adjustment, the green RoHS sticker (on the plate on the back of the cab) and the "curvier" handles on the side of the cabs.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1071686' date='Dec 29 2010, 01:07 PM']Nobody ever says why? What exactly is it that you don't like?

The price?![/quote]

Nothing to with price really. I think there are other amps that seem to display the wonderful tonal spectrum of the cab far better than EBS amps for the same price or less. Mind you, I haven't tried the tube amps enough to comment, but the amp I am mainly referring to are the HD series (HD350) and others from this generation.

I've tried them on gigs and rehearsals and I have resorted back to my Markbass LM2, when I had it, on many occasions with the cabs. EBS have great modern sounds with lots of meat in the highs, mids and lows, but those amps IMHO make the cabs sound a bit glassey and too HI-FI and almost fake. I think the love for amps are different to the love for the cabs.

Your comments on the cab have reinforced my thoughts and experience on the Proline cabs, I miss my 2x10 :-(, I'm thinking about a proline 2x12 at the mo :-)

That really surprises me as if you look on a scope at output of the EBS HD and TD amps with the character switch not engaged, you'll see a flat responding amp right up to the ultra highs (where a lot of bass amps don't go) with a shelving in the sub bass area (why bother using your power to amplify those sub frequencies that you can't hear and really punish your speakers?).

The combination of EBS amps and speakers can be a bit too much for some... but thats why there is a brightness control on the amps and a tweeter control on the cabs to tame the glassiness. The treble response due to those tweeters are like not much else on the market... they really pop those highs.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1072424' date='Dec 30 2010, 08:05 AM']That really surprises me as if you look on a scope at output of the EBS HD and TD amps with the character switch not engaged, you'll see a flat responding amp right up to the ultra highs (where a lot of bass amps don't go) with a shelving in the sub bass area (why bother using your power to amplify those sub frequencies that you can't hear and really punish your speakers?).

The combination of EBS amps and speakers can be a bit too much for some... but thats why there is a brightness control on the amps and a tweeter control on the cabs to tame the glassiness. The treble response due to those tweeters are like not much else on the market... they really pop those highs.[/quote]

On paper, you're right about the amps, but ears say no. I had real play around with them as I had a few days to play around with it in a live setting, as I was determined to try and get on with the amp, but to no avail.

I agree the tweeters on the cabs are so sweet and there is so much scope and tonal range in these cabs. I think my issue is it all becomes a bit to Modern-HiFi for me with the amp. I'm tastes have become more warm, and even my modern sound has a warmthness to it. I'd love to try the tube amps, I think I get on with those.

I've only tried the 4x10 cab, which I think is a really great cab. Tried lifting one though, which has almost ruled it out for me as a cab. When I tried the 4x10 it was playing through the TD650, and got a very usable tone with a fair amount of old school grit. As such I didn't find the combination of the amps and cabs to be too glassy, I suspect the person letting me use his amp had already turned down the tweeter. I use the Fafner through Trace Elliot cabs, which I think goes well with getting a decent, modern but not too modern sound. I'm not saying that they are greatest cabs, they have just done a good job the last couple of years.

The problem I've heard from folk is that the amps are a bit too transparent, which makes them seem a bit characterless compared to amps that seem to have a built in signature sound (Trace Elliot, Ampeg, Eden, Mesa). If you love the natural sound of your bass, the EBS amps are a really good amp to use. Not tried the HD350 though, maybe I would find it a bit too modern. I pretty much turn tweeters off, or almost off, on any cab I use though.

For me... I like an amp that sounds like my bass as I think my basses sound very good, IMO, so I want the amp to do just that job.

If I want to drop something out, I can do that...but adding it with control is so much harder.

FWIW, I don't use and EBS amp, but they are on my wish-list. My next amp to supplement what I have now, will be 500watts plus at around 20lbs or so. For the right amp..like a AG750, or SM900, or TFB7500, I'll put up with 30 lbs and a bit

I have to lug my own gear :)

• 7 years later...

I have owned both cabs run with a EBS Fafner II - Both cabs are fantastic the Proline is a little tighter sounding over all but the Neoline mix with Fafner is my fav combination. Great for every gig, tones of headroom haven't done a gig yet where its not been enough, plus its nice and light weight makes up for the Fafner II weight but the tone is to good to not have this set up ;) the PA company prefers the Neoline in the live in flight case as its much lighter :) got to keep them happy too.

with this set up I find that it is very transparent so if you want just the sound of your bass it can replicate that really well, or if you want to go for a more processed sound you have that covered to. EBS really is incredibly versatile. 

Been using the same EBS neo cabs for years now. I have the NEO 2 X 10 which is my main gigging cab. Works really well. Use the  HD 350 head  too. IMO the two compliment each other and you get the whole picture.  I use a 1 X 12 for small tiny room gigs plus low-ish volume rehearsals and  never feel I'm missing anything.  

If you get to try out both, decide pro or neo, I would say either way you have the reliability.  I wouldn't hesitate to replace any of my EBS gear if lost,damaged or stolen.  I'm a big a fan.