Why become a member? ×

gone

claude

[quote name='BassTool' post='1071389' date='Dec 29 2010, 12:48 AM']...aye that 70's lead based paint was always a tad too heavy.. :)

:) :lol: :D :P[/quote]

Well it's true early 70s Fenders are very light ones, (don't know about paint tho:D) and this one is not only light is thas the slim/jazz type nut aswell.
You don't see that often!
And please guys buy this before I get some serious attack of GAS here!!!

[quote name='Brams77' post='1072160' date='Dec 29 2010, 10:15 PM']Well it's true [b]early 70s Fenders are very light ones[/b], (don't know about paint tho:D) and this one is not only light is thas the slim/jazz type nut aswell.
You don't see that often!
And please guys buy this before I get some serious attack of GAS here!!![/quote]

and late 70s fenders are heavy? please. there's heavy and light ones from any era depending on wood they have used

[quote name='dr1' post='1087861' date='Jan 13 2011, 01:40 PM']and late 70s fenders are heavy? please. there's heavy and light ones from any era depending on wood they have used[/quote]

.... I actually informed myself pretty good on this subject, so dont say "please"...

Late 70s stock Fenders (not custom instruments) or atleast almost all of what I have experienced (had in my hands) or heard from 3rd parties are heavy to really heavy basses/guitars indeed, that being said late 70s fenders have ash bodies and early 70 ones have mostly alder bodies (appart from the natural finished ones), not that there is only heavy ash ofcourse... but still most ash pieces are heavier then most alder ones (appart from specific swamp ash which is very popular by a lot of beautique bass builders nowadays). Light bodies are made of trees that grow fast/ had lots of light so trees that where standing at/or near the edge of woods. Trees that grow slow are heavier cos they have more compact grain thus the more mass and more weight, so a conclusion could be Fender "selected" differently over the years perhaps different tone goal I'm not sure.
More mass is more sustain and less resonace, less mass is more resonance and less sustain, hence the newer US sadowsky basses use chambered bodies cos Roger couldn't get real light bodies as easily as before, but in this way he found a manner to gain some resonance and loose some weight...

[quote name='Brams77' post='1092722' date='Jan 17 2011, 05:46 PM'].... I actually informed myself pretty good on this subject, so dont say "please"...

Late 70s stock Fenders (not custom instruments) or atleast almost all of what I have experienced (had in my hands) or heard from 3rd parties are heavy to really heavy basses/guitars indeed, that being said late 70s fenders have ash bodies and early 70 ones have mostly alder bodies (appart from the natural finished ones), not that there is only heavy ash ofcourse... but still most ash pieces are heavier then most alder ones (appart from specific swamp ash which is very popular by a lot of beautique bass builders nowadays). Light bodies are made of trees that grow fast/ had lots of light so trees that where standing at/or near the edge of woods. Trees that grow slow are heavier cos they have more compact grain thus the more mass and more weight, so a conclusion could be Fender "selected" differently over the years perhaps different tone goal I'm not sure.
More mass is more sustain and less resonace, less mass is more resonance and less sustain, hence the newer US sadowsky basses use chambered bodies cos Roger couldn't get real light bodies as easily as before, but in this way he found a manner to gain some resonance and loose some weight...[/quote]

sorry for saying "please" :)
but you got to inform your self some more. like i said, they produced heavy ash bodies in early '70s aswell - and light ash or alder in late 70s too. in example, my friend '72 jazz bass is heaviest bass I ever touched, while my '77 jazz were one of lightest. and so on and so on....I had several and tried a few from others. cheers!

[quote name='dr1' post='1093733' date='Jan 18 2011, 01:45 PM']sorry for saying "please" :)
but you got to inform your self some more. like i said, they produced heavy ash bodies in early '70s aswell - and light ash or alder in late 70s too. in example, my friend '72 jazz bass is heaviest bass I ever touched, while my '77 jazz were one of lightest. and so on and so on....I had several and tried a few from others. cheers![/quote]

Your right you shouldn't say please, glad to get that straigtened out...:)

Anyway.... obviously you have a different view on things lets leave it at that. If you read my text good enough I'm talking about the majority, not about exeptions, but that don't matter cos you will never agrea that the majority of later 70s basses to early 70s basses are heavier, and pure and simple the majority of basses of the late 70's are ash basses and early ones are alder ones.
So we're done we don't agree, and ofcourse i'm poorly informed, which suits me great:D

Take care now little cry baby :lol:

Edited by Brams77