Why become a member? ×

Help ! Buying first bass rig !

Danbass7

Hey guys, first post :)

I play bass in a thrash metal band and I need a bass rig to gig in medium sized venues but to keep the price to a minimum as i'm having to fork out for my driving lessons in thee weeks when I turn 17 I have been giging with friends rigs for the past 6 months all trying to sway me to get the brand they back. Ive been looking absolutely everywhere and I really cant decide on what I want. Does anyone have any suggestions on a rig for really max £500 It needs to be fairly loud but not extremely so.

any help would be much appreciated

Dan

Welcome to Basschat, Dan!

How about something like the Warwick Profet 5.1 for the head? I've never tried one personally, but I know someone who uses one with a home-made 115, and he gets a pretty decent metal tone.

I don't have enough experience with cabs in that price range to give a valid suggestion, although maybe I should point you in the direction of either Hartke or Warwick.

This is perhaps the most important rule - make sure you try before you buy!

Edited by Welshbassist

If your local I have a hartke 2200pro (2x12+horn) cab and an asdhown mag300. The hartke is really well regarded round these parts, and the ashdown just does its job very well!

You can have them both for £300 if my first buyer pulls out.

Edited by ste_m3

[quote name='Welshbassist' post='121880' date='Jan 17 2008, 12:40 AM']Welcome to Basschat, Dan!

How about something like the Warwick Profet 5.1 for the head? I've never tried one personally, but I know someone who uses one with a home-made 115, and he gets a pretty decent metal tone.

I don't have enough experience with cabs in that price range to give a valid suggestion, although maybe I should point you in the direction of either Hartke or Warwick.

This is perhaps the most important rule - make sure you try before you buy![/quote]

I don't quite see this doing the job, specially visually, but just in case,
I have a Warwick CCL 1x15 combo for sale
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11375&st=0&p=119728&#entry119728"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry119728[/url]

[quote name='bassboy115' post='122137' date='Jan 17 2008, 12:45 PM']You could buy this... a full vintage rig for £300
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11538"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11538[/url][/quote]

yeah Get that :) I would .. that stack is going to look the part - and shift the air- like no weedy combo would.

[quote name='Danbass7' post='122281' date='Jan 17 2008, 04:27 PM']that looks like exactly what i need. im just worried cos its been well gigged[/quote]
Dude, it says Peavey on the front.
Peavey in gearspeak means "goes for ever and cheap to fix when it breaks"

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='richy316' post='122429' date='Jan 17 2008, 08:52 PM']+1 for OldGit !

PEAVEY = METAL!

Try and get hold of a used 4ohm 4x10 and one of those newish tour heads and you're set, buddy.[/quote]

Thanks Richie ..
in my version peavey = cheap grunt that goes on for ever :)
Don't really do metal :huh:

[quote name='Danbass7' post='122461' date='Jan 17 2008, 09:36 PM']Cheers everyone ! Looks like you have sorted me out a new rig in under 24 hours of joining the forums ! haha :huh:[/quote]

Yeah You've used up your entire first year's worth of help in one day ..

Only joking :)